Welcome to Kingdom Leaks

We don't encourage piracy. But we do encourage you to listen to an album before you decide to buy it.

mR12

Discord Integration [9/24]

71 posts in this topic

KvbDITP.png

This update will address issues we are having with our current chatbox. Our host has indicated that the onsite chatbox located at the top of every page has been maxing out our CPU. According to the Internet, this is not uncommon among forum communities:

As an example let's say you have a chat room setup on your website and there are 10 visitors active in it. In most cases that would be 1 request per second for each user, so about 600 requests a minute. Over the course of an hour that would be about 36,000 requests the server has to handle, and around 864,000 for a whole day.

10 users
600 requests / minute
36,000 requests / hour
864,000 requests / day

Now if each of those requests was simply trying to pull up an HTML page, or some static content, a [server] could potentially host that without a problem.

However for chat software each of these requests would more than likely go to a PHP script, which is a server-side script that has to run on the server. While that PHP script executes to pull in data from the database it requires CPU usage from the server as well as disk access as the database is read.

As you can see, we have far more than 10 visitors in the chat at once. Due to the nature of our software, there is no way to make coding modifications or improvements to the existing application. A proposed solution to this server load issue is to embed a 3rd party chat software (namely, Discord) to offload intensive activity and to keep our website loading smoothly.

Here is a general outline of how Discord may work on our site:

• Discord would completely replace the exisitng Chatbox
  • roles on site linked up with roles in Discord
  • post automated notifications to channels about new topics/posts (as with our existing chat). A bot would post these onto the server: afs8wl1.png
  • only members of the site will be able to access the Discord
  • Discord does not support embedding the actual chat into web pages (see here and here). A widget would be embedded on pages to join the server, which would open in a new tab: ZThKCDI.png

We need feedback from our users on this. Please comment in the comments section below with questions/comments/doubts/concerns! Please try and think about how this would affect our site overall.

-KL Staff

*As I submitted this post, it took 30 seconds to go through. Just know this is due to the Chatbox hogging our resources.

LKA likes this

I think Discord would be a fantastic addition, it has so many capabilities and tones of bots to deal with questions y'all get asked daily. I'm not even sure of everything it can do but I love Discord, I say go for it.

TasteTheStepDad and LKA like this

I don't know anything about this, but if it's easier for y'all go for it.

Is this able to be done on mobile? 95% of my time on here is on mobile.

7 minutes ago, IKeepForgettingMyShit said:

Discord app is fantastic on mobile.

8 minutes ago, IKeepForgettingMyShit said:

I've rarely seen any service that was as consistent throughout all platforms as Discord

35 minutes ago, LKA said:

This would require people to make an additional account though, wouldn't it?

Very good question. This much is not clear in the software documentation. You would think this would be the main concern, wouldn't you?

LKA likes this

Sounds like an amazing idea. I fully support it.

As for integrating chat into the website, have you considered this? https://github.com/TitanEmbeds/Titan

People on the discord subreddit seem to like it.

There are also custom stylesheets (which I think you can also create) to fit the color/theme of the website.

This is what it looks like when I embedded the example link (https://titanembeds.com/embed/295085744249110529?css=28) into the site and changed the width/height.

Needless to say you can change the CSS as you like, maybe even make it look like the old chatbox.

sTC4iHE.png

mR12, LKA and dorathekiller97 like this

If incorporating Discord helps the site run smoother and provides an overall better experience for everyone, I'm all for it.

I honestly love the app, and tend to use it for a lot of communities.

LKA likes this

I don't know shit about that, but I trust you'll take the right choice. If that helps... Go for it!

15 hours ago, LKA said:

This would require people to make an additional account though, wouldn't it?

I was thinking the same.

LKA likes this

Making a discord account takes like 30 seconds, how you're gonna keep unique identity authentication in check or whatever is up to you tho. You could make up some bot bullshit where a person binds/authorizes the discord account on the KL Discord server with the KL account or KL account credentials through some API/plugin/whatever, because if the Discord accounts and KL accounts will be completely separate so people who aren't even registered on KL can still be on the Discord with some unverified/unbinded account then that's bullshit.
I've been on a server which let's you bind your discord account for that specific server to your last.fm account very easily, so a variation of that with KL would be exactly what you want.
I guess this will also tone down on the creation of bullshit accounts that just register to spam some dumb shit like "where dat HU lmao" once or twice and then fuck off forever. I doubt it will be an issue for majority of the current active people tho.

LKA likes this

This was one of the first things I suggested when I became more active here. I've been on Discord since it's really early Beta phases and I've loved it every step of the way.
Anything that would make it less appealing, it makes up for in another department, in my opinion.

It would also let us make announcements more smoothly, use read-only channels for FAQ or important information, have roles for our amazing community so that anyone that needs to be can be recognized, and give users a faster, more approachable, method of contacting Staff, should they want to, among so many other features.
This would also allow us to have mobile notifications for hyped albums, or anything of that nature. It could even let us configure listening parties that only KL could provide with it's voice channels.

Again, I love Discord and I hope this idea comes to fruition.

LKA, HelloDarkness and mhiongskiee like this

32 minutes ago, Dwesk said:
1 hour ago, Aria said:

It could even let us configure listening parties that only KL could provide with it's voice channels.

Bruh

Bruuuuuuuh

LKA likes this

Thanks to all those who gave feedback! More is appreciated since we like to hear both sides of the discussion.

Let me clarify one thing:

Discord is so powerful, in terms of features, that it can make community based websites like ours obsolete. If Discord is integrated, it will NOT be used for support, FaQs, requests, voice chats, or anything similar to functions of the forums. The sole purpose of Discord is to offload to an external server, massive requests and loading of scripts that our current chatbox does now. We will likely have one channel, to make it less of a task for our staff to moderate and maintain.

LKA likes this

Discord has been the #1 chat application for gamers and groups for a long time now, no reason we shouldn't be able to get in on it. Especially if it'll improve site performance.

I'm all for it :)

LKA likes this

I've only used Discord a handful of times, but as long as it shortens the loading time on the site, I'm all for it.

LKA likes this

I recently made an account and spoke to LKA on it but I have never used it, but it sounds like a good idea especially if you use it where it doesn't take over the site like you explained above @mR12, makes the site faster I am game.

LKA likes this

Just now, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

Dude imagine a KL discord voice chat and getting to ACTUALLY yell at people who ask when shit is going to leak

Or just shitpost yelling.

On 9/25/2017 at 5:49 AM, Dwesk said:

Making a discord account takes like 30 seconds, how you're gonna keep unique identity authentication in check or whatever is up to you tho. You could make up some bot bullshit where a person binds/authorizes the discord account on the KL Discord server with the KL account or KL account credentials through some API/plugin/whatever, because if the Discord accounts and KL accounts will be completely separate so people who aren't even registered on KL can still be on the Discord with some unverified/unbinded account then that's bullshit.
I've been on a server which let's you bind your discord account for that specific server to your last.fm account very easily, so a variation of that with KL would be exactly what you want.
I guess this will also tone down on the creation of bullshit accounts that just register to spam some dumb shit like "where dat HU lmao" once or twice and then fuck off forever. I doubt it will be an issue for majority of the current active people tho.

The discord integration software links and syncs names/bans for our forums. However, I don't know how this actually will look till I take the site offline for some testing. Rest assured if we can't get a sync of members on here and members can create duplicate accounts, we will not integrate Discord.