ANNOUNCEMENT: We are please to announce that @967-EVIL has been promoted to Administrator! Please help us in congratulating him on his promotion!
xcblackdiamond

Enter Shikari - The Spark (2017)

91 posts in this topic

Not a bad album, but there are definitely a handful of songs I don't care for at all, such as Airfield and Revolt of the Atoms.

There are definitely some bangers though.  Rabble Rouser, Take My Country Back, and The Sights are fantastic.

Overall, it's probably my least favorite album of theirs, and it's such a huge departure from their past work, but it's not bad.

• Love 1

Other Releases by

Still don't understand the hype behind this band. His accent makes me laugh. Cant get through a single song. But hey at least someone enjoys it. 

9 minutes ago, dvsr said:

Still don't understand the hype behind this band. His accent makes me laugh. Cant get through a single song. But hey at least someone enjoys it. 

Probably because people with an open mind look past what an accent is, and rather listen to what he is saying & what they are playing. And people like-minded will be attracted to it.

17 minutes ago, dvsr said:

if you stop at the accent without even giving a chance to the style and music behind the vibrating vocal chords, then you really don't understand.

52 minutes ago, dvsr said:

I like his accent. It adds some different dynamics to the music in a watered-down scene where almost every other vocalist sounds similar

• Love 1

115683106_BitterPiccy.jpg.2d236e5a4f796df6dede15f417522d3b.jpg

lastfm_black.gif.91f8144a457ece93c6601c67606c1d82.gif.96766e32a354e166e2036eb38a299b16.gif     rsz_spotify.png.3d59151ccfacd78883deaa07ccb0264d.png

An Ode To Lost Jigsaw Pieces had me crying like a little bitch. For me, this is most likely the GOAT Shikari song ever. This whole album came out at a time and point in my life where I needed it the most, and it hit me like nothing else did before, especially (but not only) Jigsaw Pieces. I can't even put into words how eagerly I've been waiting for this and how much I'm loving it. A soul-elevating work of art. I don't know what I was expecting tho... after all, this is Shikari, one of the greatest things I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

• Love 1

It's solid...Being a pretty big fan of ES, it comes across as their worst album. I thought The Mindsweep was their second best (after Flash Flood) and this album has a similar sound to that but the songs just feel weaker. Maybe it'll grow on me (hopefully!). I'll give this 7/10. Nothing to write home about, but not horrible. I'll listen to it for a few months and then probably never again. Definitely not AOTY...Sorry ES.

Edited by dylanm7
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, dylanm7 said:

It's solid...Being a pretty big fan of ES, it comes across as their worst album. I thought The Mindsweep was their best and this album has a similar sound to that but the songs just feel weaker. Maybe it'll grow on me (hopefully!). I'll give this 7/10. Nothing to write home about, but not horrible. I'll listen to it for a few months and then probably never again. Definitely not AOTY...Sorry ES.

One of the things I love about ES is there's no definitive, defining album for them. They're all so different and they're all someone's favourite/most significant.

For me personally The Mindsweep was actually the weakest, and it's still a cracker. To me The Spark feels like a bit of a follow up to Common Dreads and it's a contender for one of their best! But then again I absolutely love hooky songs and deep songs, and this covers both phenomenally! 

1 minute ago, AConsciousMan said:

One of the things I love about ES is there's no definitive, defining album for them. They're all so different and they're all someone's favourite/most significant.

For me personally The Mindsweep was actually the weakest, and it's still a cracker. To me The Spark feels like a bit of a follow up to Common Dreads and it's a contender for one of their best! But then again I absolutely love hooky songs and deep songs, and this covers both phenomenally! 

I said Mindsweep was the best, but I'm gonna change that to Flash Flood. Spark does kinda feel like CD.

1 hour ago, Dr. Thicc Dicc said:

An Ode To Lost Jigsaw Pieces had me crying like a little bitch. For me, this is most likely the GOAT Shikari song ever. This whole album came out at a time and point in my life where I needed it the most, and it hit me like nothing else did before, especially (but not only) Jigsaw Pieces. I can't even put into words how eagerly I've been waiting for this and how much I'm loving it. A soul-elevating work of art. I don't know what I was expecting tho... after all, this is Shikari, one of the greatest things I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

Also cried here, I totally see where you're coming from and I feel the same way. Definitely loved hearing that last song, as well as the whole album.

7 hours ago, LKA said:

Well of course it's gonna sound worse than a 320/FLAC would but for a 128, it's not bad. There are way worse sounding 128 kbps rips out there

I remember when Real Friends' latest album was leaked in 128 on here. Probably the worst 128 I'd heard in my life, barely got three songs in. This one is miles above most 128s.

• Love 1

Hmmmm this is really quirky and kinda cool, but as a shikari record I feel its their most consistent record, which for them is a bad thing.

7/10 good maybe, I'll listen some more

Their best work is either AFFOC or TM. This is probably their worst.

after listening for the past few weeks I've come to really love this album. I think the songs will make for a nice diverse set and rou can also have fun with some of these when he does solo gigs. 

hmmmm thats not my enter shikari :( iam a huge fan of them since 2007 and i have also seen them 5times live, but this record is a fucking disaster in my opinion! 

tumblr_mttgabOKue1r85uiyo1_500.gif

I am going to do that thing people do here and ask this question: Is it weird that I like this and have never liked much from them before?

• Love 2

brdsx.gif

2 minutes ago, BRDSX said:

I am going to do that thing people do here and ask this question: Is it weird that I like this and have never liked much from them before?

I actually wanted to tell you to give this a try regardless (knowing that you don't like their old stuff) because I kinda expected you to maybe like the new direction

• Love 1

ABUSEOFPOWER.JPG

BCJNh3t.png

Think The Revolt of the Atoms is the first Shikari song across five albums that I actively dislike.

Rest of this is good though, probably around a 7/10.

Really liking this, I'd definitely put it above Mindsweep which aside from a few brilliant songs I never fully got into.

Revolt of the Atoms is probably my favourite track off this, so so good, that along with The Sights, Live Outside, and Rabble Rouser, all bangers.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, futeanal said:

hmmmm thats not my enter shikari :( iam a huge fan of them since 2007 and i have also seen them 5times live, but this record is a fucking disaster in my opinion!

What about it is a disaster? For me personally I'm glad they've reined themselves in, The Mindsweep was their weakest record to me personally because the songs were so busy and there was so much going on it was almost self indulgent. I think that by reining it in on this they've crafted a much more coherent body of work, but you could tell from the singles this album was going to be divisive!

Fuck yeah lets freaking go!

"It's just noise"

13232.png

An Ode to Lost Jigsaw Pieces is fucking deep man. Holt shit.

The only problem with this album is that it is waaayyyyyyy too short. Fantastic album, as always.

STYGKL_1.gif

I really didn't expect to like this that much, but this is absolutely brilliant. Probably my favourite from them next to AFFOC.

13 minutes ago, AMNESIK said:

The only problem with this album is that it is waaayyyyyyy too short. Fantastic album, as always.

Yeah 9 songs makes it a bit brief, I do like the short run time though, leaves you wanting more so you just go back and listen through it again, think it could've done with one extra song though.

• Love 1

On 15.9.2017 at 8:41 PM, donark said:

Could not be more hyped for this.

After a few listens I definitely think it's one of the better Shikari albums.

is there really a bad Shikari album? :o 

Def like this more than Mindsweep.

Formerly known as
Nice_Backly

WK4Ilr1.jpg

On 9/16/2017 at 4:30 PM, BRDSX said:

Nope not weird at all. It's a departure from their previous efforts. While AFFOC is an incredible album (i strongly urge you to revisit it) Mindsweep was lacking something for me, but this one is tickling me in all the right places. 

Formerly known as
Nice_Backly

WK4Ilr1.jpg

Shame you have to get through 90% garbage on this album just to hear some listenable bits.

Really not liking this.

Wew.

Can't even tell you which parts were good, because they were so far and few in between. There were some good electronic bits in there, but nothing too exciting.

Very blandly poppy, which is ironic considering his jab at mainstream pop.

*This is my opinion and obviously you may feel differently about the album*