fie claussell

Make Them Suffer - Worlds Apart (2017)

84 posts in this topic

Dudeeeee so much love for the early release! That said, I've only listened to Vortex thus far, and of course Fireworks. If the album maintains the quality of either of these two, I'm beyond stoked. Thanks again!

Other Releases by

AOTYAOTYAOTYAOTY

• Love 3

Unbenannt.PNG.608ad8c221b6dcec8081cab805b2cf99.PNG

safasf.PNG.e0506e2343bf8ef53aad43fb48ead36c.PNG

Yeah this amazing front to back, love how much proggier, weirder and crazier they decided to get on this one, shit gets real interesting once Grinding Teeth kicks in. They crafted a sound that's absolutely their own and absolutely unique in the genre, fucking amazing. The fucking vocals on Dead Plains are demonic as fuck, but my fave song probably is Midnight Run, short but so fucking sweet. Spoken word at the end of Save Yourself works so well though, didn't expect that, but it's just so good and fits in so well, wonderful closer.

• Love 7

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

1 hour ago, Dwesk said:

YAMEROOOO!

IKUU, IKUU, IKUUUUUUUUUUUU...

I LOVE YOU MAN! HOLY SHIT! THANK YOU!

My favorite album of the year so far, dethroned WSS. And i fucking fanboy WSS big time. 

It doesn't sound like any other band in the scene, it's super unique. It doesn't really sound like old MTS either, but it still has a MTS feel to it. Not a single skippable song, great from start to finish. I love how the lyrics reflect the previous work but aren't a continuation of the Lord of Woe storyline.

Drumming is a bit more intricate, riffs are a bit more technical and the use of piano and electronics is way more prominent than ever before. It's woven into the riffs a bit more this time around, instead of being there for some background symphony. I fucking love it. The intro riff to "Grinding Teeth" has almost an egyptian exotic scale feel to it, sounds adventurous.

Neverbloom is still my favorite, but man i can't give them flack for changing up their sound when it's done so fucking well. This is what true progression sounds.

• Love 6

i had a cool .gif for here but it didn't retrieve signature image dimensions or some shit fuck this

Vortex reminds me Blood Moon

320 ALREADY? WHAAAAT. Thanks guys, gotta discontinue my day and listen to this immediately.

• Love 1

Wont say anything but AOTY. That's it, Fantastic

• Love 1

2.gif.4452593f36a2f3505101a484f098740c.gif

You want progression? This is how you progress!

I love MTS with all my heart, this album is beautiful without a doubt. Heavy, interesting, flows together. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be: unique. You won't find many bands in the genres like them, don't sleep on them just because they don't stay the same throughout their career. Booka's a nice addition to the band, her voice fits them well.

I remember talking to Sean back in 2015 after a show whether we'll have 12" records of their albums, and while he wasn't sure at the time and it was unlikely for Old Souls at the moment, he assured me that there comes a time. I didn't regret preording Worlds Apart after hearing Fireworks, this album is perfect, I can't wait to watch it spin on my deck.

Favourites: Grinding Teeth, Vortex (wow), Midnight Run but there's not a single track I don't like. Definitely an AOTY contender for me, DGD ain't got shit on these guys.

AOTY contenders Edit: We had Mesmer from Northlane, PVRIS and Wage War coming in August, Logic's Everybody, probably new TesseracT, While She Sleeps' You Are We and who knows what else, let's see what Stick To Your Guns got for us later this year!

Edited by frosty
  • Love 4

One of the best albums of the year imo

never heard of these guys before. the albums alright but i dont care for female vocals much. if there was no female vocals id love this

but thank you very much dude :D

After an in depth listen (a few listens ok), i can say this album is pure genius craft. The progression between each of their albums is impressive but manages to leave the image and sound of MTS behind every note and lyric.

I like a lot how proggy and weird some songs sound, and especially how much space they (finally) left to the girl singing.

Oh Booka is a way better performer than Louisa ever had been, and that does a lot within this record, she complements very well Sean and his screams while the piano melodies give you that eerie and mysterious feeling all throughout the album, balancing the often dissonant guitars.

AOTY contender without any doubt at least a 4.5/5, fav songs (i like them all a lot) The First Movement, Uncharted, Vortex, Fireworks and Save Yourself. 

2.gif.4452593f36a2f3505101a484f098740c.gif

cant believe it is so early, cant wait for a listen this afternoon

can't believe it's so fast for leak, hahaha. thanks !! i can preview this album

4 hours ago, jebasu said:

My favorite album of the year so far, dethroned WSS. And i fucking fanboy WSS big time. 

It doesn't sound like any other band in the scene, it's super unique. It doesn't really sound like old MTS either, but it still has a MTS feel to it. Not a single skippable song, great from start to finish. I love how the lyrics reflect the previous work but aren't a continuation of the Lord of Woe storyline.

Drumming is a bit more intricate, riffs are a bit more technical and the use of piano and electronics is way more prominent than ever before. It's woven into the riffs a bit more this time around, instead of being there for some background symphony. I fucking love it. The intro riff to "Grinding Teeth" has almost an egyptian exotic scale feel to it, sounds adventurous.

Neverbloom is still my favorite, but man i can't give them flack for changing up their sound when it's done so fucking well. This is what true progression sounds.

While i fully agree with this, I'm pretty sure it does have to do with the Lord Of Woe storyline.

11 hours ago, foxhound said:

also I LOVE YOU KL ive been so sad lately this is gona help so much <3

Amazing release. This is lit af. Been waiting the new album for so long <3

Also, don't be sad. Send you good vibes <3

"If you thought you knew it all
Don’t shift your view, you might slip and fall
A long way down and down this rabbit hole
If the tunnel runs any deeper
You might come out the other side of the world
Maybe upside down you’ll be able see this isn’t what it seems
We are far from free."

Northlane

47 minutes ago, TheDevilIsALiarIAmTruth said:

While i fully agree with this, I'm pretty sure it does have to do with the Lord Of Woe storyline.

Sean said it himself that it's not a part of the Lord of Woe trilogy in the Reddit AMA, however there are definitely some references. I can't really pick out all without reading the lyrics first. 

"Save Yourself" is a huge one.

I've never been one to express myself so directly, more with imagery and symbolism. Obscuring my thoughts behind a veil of metaphors and euphemisms. But just for one moment, i want to open and honest. If we cannot express ourselves directly and be prepared to expect negativity then we'll surely crumble under the weight of our insecurities. So search yourself and come face to face with your demons, it's terrifying but if we can't face them, then how we grow? etc.

This part is clearly him referencing old music and the Lord of Woe storyline. He used to express himself through the symbolism and the characters he created for those albums, Lord of Woe was him and Morrow was the girl etc. But this time he chose a different route, he's going to be open and honest.

Also, if doesn't make sense to be a continuation of the Lord of Woe narrative because the album takes place in a whole different timeframe. Lord of Woe / Neverbloom / Old Souls felt like early 1900's from the music videos, art, themes and lyrical scenery. In Worlds Apart he mentions modern day technology such as a phone etc. It works with the stylistic choice of an album. If they went with a gothic, dark moody sound and suddenly lyrics were "you would know if you checked your phone" it'd be a bit jarring imho.

i had a cool .gif for here but it didn't retrieve signature image dimensions or some shit fuck this

@jebasu GOT 'EM

• Love 1

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

Just finished listening to this thru and thru. I found myself going from headbanging during versus and getting chills from the riffs, to feeling in a trance during the soothing/mesmerizing chorus', and then back to smashing shit. Totally unique vibes to EVERYTHING in this. It's quite simply beautiful, and DEFINITELY AOTY for me so far. Gonna be hard to top. Again, hats off to you djentleman for the early release. Fucking godly of you :)

Man what a bizarre, but good, album. At moments I feel like I'm listening to Deafheaven, Eyes Set To Kill, ABR, and then nope, back to MTS.  Grinding Teeth really just puts it out there and I love it.

Some parts of definitely a bit questionable - I wasn't a big fan of Power Overwhelming - and probably my only gripe is that it seems like they seemed to rely too much on having the clean vocals for the choruses. I kind of liked how the cleans were sprinkled in instead of becoming the main vocal point, probably because the new vocalist, while good, seems better suited for background vocals / harmonizing imo.

I'm definitely going to need more listens to let this sink in like Old Souls, but because that was such a perfect LP, I'm totally okay with this not trying to be Old Souls 2.0.

holy shit this leak hit me like a truck
likely aoty even tho i havent listened to much yet wow

this album have great atmosphere...lovely..

Having pre-ordered the 104$ bundle with merch, this is such a fucking guilty pleasure.
I am crying. This band, earlier stuff to now, is absolutely amazing.

Thank you so much! <3

The groove is tangible, this album is not a joke

• Love 2

brdsx.gif

WOW. I wasn't expecting this to leak so damn soon, especially at 320.

This album is fucking outstanding. Album of the year for me.

8 minutes ago, Konvict v3 said:

WOW. I wasn't expecting this to leak so damn soon, especially at 320.

This album is fucking outstanding. Album of the year for me.

giphy.gif

• Love 1

brdsx.gif

I'm only halfway through this album and it's good but nothing will ever top Neverbloom.

Am I the only one who gets more Hardcore; In Hearts Wake vibes from them now?

Edit: Also, Deafheaven as some have already mentioned

Every day is a summer vacation
Speed King.jpg