Sign in to follow this  
NightAngel

A Lot Like Birds vs Sianvar vs Stolas

ALLB v Sianvar v Stolas?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. You cannot deny that the latest releases from all 3 of these bands sound very similar, with developing a sound that they all seem to have gained, or have remained, a progressive post hardcore style with no screams, and an additional flair of technical ambiance. But the big question that remains, as all 3 bands sound quite literally the same in style, which of the 3 albums is the better of the lot?

• A Lot Like Birds - "Divisi"
    • Sianvar - "Stay Lost"
    • Stolas - "Stolas"

16 posts in this topic

Which do you choose? Please vote, and reply below.

309870369_nar02.png.0d873f258f0838c2011e001a4b8d3643.png

New Review Every Week!

Sianvar>Stolas>A Lot Like Birds

If you look only at the latest releases of course.

• Love 1

t2DLnik.png

Aren't they the same band? I must say Stolas>Sianvar=A Lot Like Birds though

• Love 1

First of all, I disagree with the introduction of this post because in my opinion these bands do not sound "quite literally the same in style". Stolas for example has a way less ambient-oriented style than the other 2 and went for a faster, more The Mars Volta inspired style instead. Sianvar has those ambient elements that are overly present in the new ALLB album but they are way more technical when it comes to the instruments than that band is on DIVISI. For the purpose of this poll I'll state my individual opinions on the albums anyways.

I can't really decide if I prefer the new Stolas album to the latest Sianvar record to be honest since the latter was my favourite post-hardcore album of last year but Stolas is a strong AOTY contender as well. It's definitely my favourite Stolas album because of the similarities to The Mars Volta. Carlo's vocals are so very reminiscent of Cedric Bixler and the album is what I would call truly "progressive" as opposed to Sianvar, which I would call "technical" instead.

Sianvar, however, has other qualities that make it amazing. The vocals are just as fantastic and the combined guitar playing of Will Swan and Sergio from Stolas is mesmerizing. It also has the nice ambient flair that isn't really there on Stolas' new album.

As you might have noticed, I haven't really said anything about the new ALLB record. This has two reasons: I haven't listened to it as much yet as I have to the other 2 and, so far, I don't like it as much as the other 2. It is a really good album but compared to the other 2, which I'd call my favourite post-hardcore albums of the last 2 years, it can't compete. The ambient elements are awesome and the vocals are fantastic but I found myself wishing for more of the technical guitar playing and the dynamic between Kurt's and Cory's vocals that made their first 2 records my favourite post-hardcore records of their respective years. Still, a really good album and I'm looking forward to what their future has to offer.

I ended up voting for Stolas because I did a coin toss between them and Sianvar, there's no other way I could've made a decision.

• Love 3

ABUSEOFPOWER.JPG

BCJNh3t.png

18 minutes ago, LKA said:

I disagree with the introduction of this post because in my opinion these bands do not sound "quite literally the same in style".

The reason I decided to make this poll was because while listening to all 3 albums at the same time, there were many moments where I could not tell for the life of me which of the 3 bands it was, even though I knew it was one of the 3, because they sound, imo, highly similar, and so I wanted to see what other people thought about them as well.

The beauty of it is, you're opinion is not wrong in the big spectrum of things, especially considering how technical you are with your focus on the music, but I personally would not agree with you.

:)

• Love 1

New Review Every Week!

Personally I think they all sound quite different actually 

• Love 7

Yeah these three albums are definitely not the same sound, especially DIVISI compared to the other two.

• Love 4

Interesting poll idea however... alll three are great albums, but DIVISI has resonated emotionally the most for me already, even if it isn't as technical as perhaps the other two are. Probably gonna have to give it the edge.

• Love 1

Sianvar all day!  All 3 are pretty good imo.

• Love 1

DIVISI... these albums don't sound similar tho..bellweather by stolas is pretty dope but it sounds very similar to one of ALLB's song

Disagreed with the general premise of the question, but Divisi has stood out the most to me of the three.

I think Sianvar and Stolas sounded really similar, but couldn't really get into either album (from a fan of the swancore genre). I had super high hopes for ALLB and I just think it's on a whole different level from the other two. So powerful and emotional and will probably be my AOTY.

• Love 1

I fell like HTS should have been included in this. 

• Love 2

Formerly known as
Nice_Backly

WK4Ilr1.jpg

5 hours ago, Smash_Adams said:

I fell like HTS should have been included in this. 

They were not included because they still have screams with their music. If I added them, I would've had to add a bunch of other bands too, which is practically all of Blue Swan Records.

New Review Every Week!

Sianvar takes the cake, Stolas is a close second, and DIVISI shouldn't even be mentioned. 

Thanks for all the participation!

1 thing I got from this is I fully expected Stolas to beat Sianvar, but I can't always be right.

Thanks again KL Fam!

New Review Every Week!