mR12

Northlane - Mesmer (2017)

Which is your favorite track from "Mesmer"?  

520 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which is your favorite track from "Mesmer"?



117 posts in this topic

Into it, not sure if I like it better than Node yet.


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post

Other Releases by

Not sure if I grew out my love for Northlane or what but this is not my thing. Don't get me wrong, it's a good album, way better than "Node" for sure. "Render" is a beast of a song but overall I was pretty "meh" about this album. I rather listen to Discoveries, maybe I can't get over Adrian's Northlane.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Came back here just because of Northlane lol 4 tracks in and I'm bored already. Everything sounds repetitive to me and ever since Node, they sound like every other "Progressive Metal" band out there. At least with Discoveries and Singularity, they're distinct. Pretty bummed cause Northlane used to be my top 5 fav bands but I guess I've grown out of them.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, romulusblack said:

Came back here just because of Northlane lol 4 tracks in and I'm bored already. Everything sounds repetitive to me and ever since Node, they sound like every other "Progressive Metal" band out there. At least with Discoveries and Singularity, they're distinct. Pretty bummed cause Northlane used to be my top 5 fav bands but I guess I've grown out of them.

TO each there own. I actually feel the exact opposite. Because everyone praises those first 2 albums so much i tried hard to like them but besides a few songs nothing stood out. Than node came and it attracted me more but I still thought the songwriting needed more variation and focus. Than mesmer dropped and Its pretty much exactly what id hoped for. After the amazing equinox ep I expected this album to deliver and I think it definitely succeeded.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, romulusblack said:

Came back here just because of Northlane lol 4 tracks in and I'm bored already. Everything sounds repetitive to me and ever since Node, they sound like every other "Progressive Metal" band out there. At least with Discoveries and Singularity, they're distinct. Pretty bummed cause Northlane used to be my top 5 fav bands but I guess I've grown out of them.

Can you honestly say the same after hearing the rest? Whenever I read "sounds like every other progressive band out there" it blows my mind because yeah if you'd focus on a certain instrumental or some aspect of each song maybe you'd get a tesseract or meshuggah or whatever vibe from some parts, of course, but the way Marcus delivers the vocals, the added ambience/synths and the way songs flow all in all either reminds me of no similar bands or I must have amnesia or some shit. I just don't get it, I feel like they've made something with enough experimentation and variety in the prog/metalcore genres that shows their future potential a lot more than Node did. Them going back to Singularity/Discoveries-esque sound would be a suicide with a fuckton of near "copycat" bands going straight for that sound in the recent ~3 years, some of them deliver, some of them are sub-par, but in Northlane's sense that'd be a huge regression and fan catering, and what they did with this one is a lot more impressive, especially with the sounds they made on songs like Zero-One or Render.

  • Love 5

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, romulusblack said:

Came back here just because of Northlane lol 4 tracks in and I'm bored already. Everything sounds repetitive to me and ever since Node, they sound like every other "Progressive Metal" band out there. At least with Discoveries and Singularity, they're distinct. Pretty bummed cause Northlane used to be my top 5 fav bands but I guess I've grown out of them.

Although I like JUST THE 2 TRACKS OFF the album I totally agree with you. Singularity was the shit bruh, still Jam it... this is pretty darn boring

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

This album is lit, grew in me a lot after a few listens. And as a fan of their work with Adrian, i can say they're really fusing together their influences and the mix is working well

  • Love 1

2.gif.4452593f36a2f3505101a484f098740c.gif

Share this post


Link to post

bands can't win these days. Release an album like they're last 3 or 4 and people get bored of them. Try something new and people write them off for changing sounds or whatever. This album to me is an epic blend of the old and the new and i think they're going in a rad direction. i'm not on my high horse or anything but i'm gonna appreciate this for what it is, great music. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, romulusblack said:

Came back here just because of Northlane lol 4 tracks in and I'm bored already. Everything sounds repetitive to me and ever since Node, they sound like every other "Progressive Metal" band out there. At least with Discoveries and Singularity, they're distinct. Pretty bummed cause Northlane used to be my top 5 fav bands but I guess I've grown out of them.

 

I agree with @Dwesk and I find your comment insulting to my intelligence. 


Screenshot_1414.png

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Dwesk said:

Can you honestly say the same after hearing the rest? Whenever I read "sounds like every other progressive band out there" it blows my mind because yeah if you'd focus on a certain instrumental or some aspect of each song maybe you'd get a tesseract or meshuggah or whatever vibe from some parts, of course, but the way Marcus delivers the vocals, the added ambience/synths and the way songs flow all in all either reminds me of no similar bands or I must have amnesia or some shit. I just don't get it, I feel like they've made something with enough experimentation and variety in the prog/metalcore genres that shows their future potential a lot more than Node did. Them going back to Singularity/Discoveries-esque sound would be a suicide with a fuckton of near "copycat" bands going straight for that sound in the recent ~3 years, some of them deliver, some of them are sub-par, but in Northlane's sense that'd be a huge regression and fan catering, and what they did with this one is a lot more impressive, especially with the sounds they made on songs like Zero-One or Render.

To each his own man. I get why some people enjoyed it but it just doesn't click for me. Without the spacey-ambience-electronic sound, there's really not much going on in this record for me and it bores me how they use this one catchy riffs and play it til the end of the song. I want to like this new Northlane and I think Marcus is a great live vocalist compared to Adrian but idk it's just not my thing.

Share this post


Link to post

This album is absolutely stellar. People NEED to stop bitching about "blah blah blah the band doesn't sound the same anymore", "blah blah blah this sounds nothing like their old stuff". For one, progression in sound is only natural for any band in any genre. Playing the same old stuff, over and over for years can get stale. It helps to reignite the excitement and passion needed for making (and still loving to make) music for all. And stop comparing the new to the old. They aren't the same Northlane (see point A), things change, people change, tastes change...yup, you guessed it...change is inevitable in life (not speaking to the people who just simply don't find this their taste of music. a logical and concise reason for not liking something has to be respected as well). Anywho, I personally am definitely digging this album big time. I'll admit it took me a few listens to fully take in every subtle nuance and element, but once I had, the album as a whole just blew me out of the water. Marcus' vocals have definitely grown. He seems to have more range in both screaming and cleans. It was also nice to see an album that covered a broader spread of subject matter. Worrying about the Earth truly is something of great importance, but when every single song is related to that topic it COULD get a wee boring (didn't find NODE boring in the SLIGHTEST, just simply saying persistence of only one subject could become tiresome). Stylistically I miss a bit of the ambience that was more prevalent on Node, but by no means is that ambience fully lost on Mesmer. Overall this is a stunning album, and it really concretes Marcus' role within the band (personal opinion), and shows these Aussie boys aint slowin' down anytime soon.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MercWithAMouth said:

This album is absolutely stellar. People NEED to stop bitching about "blah blah blah the band doesn't sound the same anymore", "blah blah blah this sounds nothing like their old stuff". For one, progression in sound is only natural for any band in any genre. Playing the same old stuff, over and over for years can get stale. It helps to reignite the excitement and passion needed for making (and still loving to make) music for all. And stop comparing the new to the old. They aren't the same Northlane (see point A), things change, people change, tastes change...yup, you guessed it...change is inevitable in life (not speaking to the people who just simply don't find this their taste of music. a logical and concise reason for not liking something has to be respected as well). Anywho, I personally am definitely digging this album big time. I'll admit it took me a few listens to fully take in every subtle nuance and element, but once I had, the album as a whole just blew me out of the water. Marcus' vocals have definitely grown. He seems to have more range in both screaming and cleans. It was also nice to see an album that covered a broader spread of subject matter. Worrying about the Earth truly is something of great importance, but when every single song is related to that topic it COULD get a wee boring (didn't find NODE boring in the SLIGHTEST, just simply saying persistence of only one subject could become tiresome). Stylistically I miss a bit of the ambience that was more prevalent on Node, but by no means is that ambience fully lost on Mesmer. Overall this is a stunning album, and it really concretes Marcus' role within the band (personal opinion), and shows these Aussie boys aint slowin' down anytime soon.

 

Dude, you can't changes peoples minds. Opinions will be opinions. If people like the old shit more then let them and if they like the new shit more? Awesome. If they like both? Even better. People are allowed their own opinions whether or not you like them. It's evident that Northlane don't care what people think and their fans shouldn't either. Can't let it make you all butthurt. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Predator said:

 

Dude, you can't changes peoples minds. Opinions will be opinions. If people like the old shit more then let them and if they like the new shit more? Awesome. If they like both? Even better. People are allowed their own opinions whether or not you like them. It's evident that Northlane don't care what people think and their fans shouldn't either. Can't let it make you all butthurt. 

No one is butthurt as you so eloquently put it. You need to read comments closer before you choose to pick them apart. I'm not lumping all who don't like the album into one group. I said for those who have specific reasons as to why they like it or don't, there's nothing wrong with that. It's the people who want everything to remain the same, or don't like something simply because it's not "heavy like they used to be", don't have much of a leg to stand on. No real reason for not liking something other than not being open to something new or different. So take it easy there Prey...er...Predator...

Share this post


Link to post

idc i love this a lot, up there with Discoveries and Singularity 

  • Love 1

 

 

EFo5Hj3XoAAmas3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

While im still digesting this......I will say that i love how they just randomly released this album without any tease. I mean yeah, avenged sevenfold did that, but they are WAY bigger, and they did some teasing. Northlane just let it release. I think thats very ballsy (in a respecting way) of a band of their stature. Bravo, Northlane, well played, and good luck! \m/While im still digesting this......I will say that i love how they just randomly released this album without any tease. I mean yeah, avenged sevenfold did that, but they are WAY bigger, and they did some teasing. Northlane just let it release. I think thats very ballsy (in a respecting way) of a band of their stature. Bravo, Northlane, well played, and good luck! \m/

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, thereelmango said:

While im still digesting this......I will say that i love how they just randomly released this album without any tease. I mean yeah, avenged sevenfold did that, but they are WAY bigger, and they did some teasing. Northlane just let it release. I think thats very ballsy (in a respecting way) of a band of their stature. Bravo, Northlane, well played, and good luck! \m/While im still digesting this......I will say that i love how they just randomly released this album without any tease. I mean yeah, avenged sevenfold did that, but they are WAY bigger, and they did some teasing. Northlane just let it release. I think thats very ballsy (in a respecting way) of a band of their stature. Bravo, Northlane, well played, and good luck! \m/

Pretty sure Northlane did more teasing than A7X tbh.


let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Dwesk said:

Pretty sure Northlane did more teasing than A7X tbh.

Northlane didnt have chris Jericho drop a fake release date to cause a stir. Northlane didnt have their logo randomly glowing on electronic signs at different locations all over the world teasing something. In my opinion, A7X did more. But either way, both releases were ballsy.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, thereelmango said:

Northlane didnt have chris Jericho drop a fake release date to cause a stir. Northlane didnt have their logo randomly glowing on electronic signs at different locations all over the world teasing something. In my opinion, A7X did more. But either way, both releases were ballsy.

Well you're right here, but then again those who follow the band and joined the Facebook messenger teasing were very pleased and intrigued from start to finish. It took commitment of course and Northlane aren't huge enough to make enough people interested in that so the buzz wasn't huge but it was big enough in certain social groups like r/metalcore.


let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post

Will @Dwesk be mad if I say I'm sleeping on this?


Crush on you

tumblr_p8d6h2wYoc1unrq34o3_500.gif

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, drownwithmatt said:

Will @Dwesk be mad if I say I'm sleeping on this?

*insert navy seal copypasta*

  • Love 1

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MercWithAMouth said:

No one is butthurt as you so eloquently put it. You need to read comments closer before you choose to pick them apart. I'm not lumping all who don't like the album into one group. I said for those who have specific reasons as to why they like it or don't, there's nothing wrong with that. It's the people who want everything to remain the same, or don't like something simply because it's not "heavy like they used to be", don't have much of a leg to stand on. No real reason for not liking something other than not being open to something new or different. So take it easy there Prey...er...Predator...

 

"No real reason for not liking something other than not being open to something new or different"

 

are you being serious with saying that? Please tell me you're not...

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Predator said:

 

"No real reason for not liking something other than not being open to something new or different"

 

are you being serious with saying that? Please tell me you're not...

I am. for the select few that fall into that category yes. Once again though, not trying to make you or anyone else agree with me. As you said; opinions will be opinions. So I repeat take it easy they bud

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, MercWithAMouth said:

I am. for the select few that fall into that category yes. Once again though, not trying to make you or anyone else agree with me. As you said; opinions will be opinions. So I repeat take it easy they bud

 

I'm not mad or anything. I'm just trying to understand your viewpoint lmao

Share this post


Link to post

None of them. Boring album in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

Node did a first-catch on me for the first listen, Mesmer didn't. However I'll for sure gave it at least few more shots, because it has some really top points (like Zero-One, Intuition, Citizen).

Node gave me chills right from the start, Mesmer not. I think there is lack of the great solid atmosphere, that on Node was. That was a top notch album, that I didn't heard in a while.

However one of the AOTYs for sure, even if I don't fall for it for the first time. 

I absolutelly dig everything from this band since Node.

Singularity and Discoveries weren't bad, I liked some songs, but it was for me something like ten thousand other core band. 

Well in the end I thin, that Mesmer is to Node, what Singularity was to Discoveries.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Copyright © 2013-2020 Kingdom Leaks.