dukeballa02

[Known Bug] Rss Feed

27 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, dukeballa02 said:

my RSS feed for the site no longer works. I was looking for a new link at the bottom left of the main page and i can't find it. Is it gone for good?

2 hours ago, 123 said:

I second this. I loved the RSS feed. Please bring it back and thank you for you work!

Although not readily findable, the RSS function is already enabled. You have two options to access feeds.

Forum by Forum Feeds

Navigate to the forum you would like to access a feed of. Scroll all the way down to the bottom and click on the orange icon

3q164YA.png

Create Your Own RSS Feed, or Activity Stream

Located near the top right of the page is a link to Unread Content.

21Lj0uK.png

Once you are there, you have two options. You can go ahead and click the RSS link to view your own customizable stream, or you can edit your stream to specify what you want in the feed.

Lobvh8g.png

so i got the rss feed going but instead of me just getting notifications of new posts on the front page i'm getting notifications for anything and everything done on the entire site. I went into "edit this stream" and it doesn't let me edit the stream? a bug or am i just an idiot?

1 hour ago, dukeballa02 said:

so i got the rss feed going but instead of me just getting notifications of new posts on the front page i'm getting notifications for anything and everything done on the entire site. I went into "edit this stream" and it doesn't let me edit the stream? a bug or am i just an idiot?

You sound like a smart dude, so I'd assume it's the former. When you click "edit this stream" does it take you to the top of the page, adding a "#" in the URL bar?

18 minutes ago, mR12 said:

You sound like a smart dude, so I'd assume it's the former. When you click "edit this stream" does it take you to the top of the page, adding a "#" in the URL bar?

Also having the same problem, and yup, when I click "edit this stream" it adds a # at the end of the url address

This topic has been moved to the Known Bug forum. It will stay there until resolved. You are permitted and encouraged to add to this topic to help in our effort to fix this bug.

1.)  Will an RSS feed be added to the home page?

2.)  I am unable to make an activity stream that only has topic posts (ex when a new album is posted). I don't want to see every comment in the genre selected in the activity stream.

Again, thank you for you replies and hard work!

1 hour ago, 123 said:

1.)  Will an RSS feed be added to the home page?

2.)  I am unable to make an activity stream that only has topic posts (ex when a new album is posted). I don't want to see every comment in the genre selected in the activity stream.

Again, thank you for you replies and hard work!

I am currently working on this. Unfortunately, the developers of the new software did not believe RSS was an essential part to the forum, so they minimized its capability.

5 hours ago, mR12 said:

I am currently working on this. Unfortunately, the developers of the new software did not believe RSS was an essential part to the forum, so they minimized its capability.

If a main page RSS feed isn't possible, the ability to make an activity stream containing only topic posts would work since we can make an RSS feed from that.

Thanks

All,

Unfortuanetly IPB has removed this function from the software from what it seems. They consider manipulating an RSS/Activity Stream to only show topics is a "misuse" of the function (wtf?) However I am still looking into this. For now, I have set the default activity stream to New Topics + Posts. This is as close to what we had on the old software as of now.

If you want to read more about issues that other communities have reported, check out this thread: https://invisionpower.com/forums/topic/424775-what-is-the-point-of-activity-stream/

21 hours ago, mR12 said:

I have added a new downloads button to the top of the page, utilizing the search function. Let me know what you think.

so just out of curiosity is there a way to manipulate the "new downloads" tab into its own rss through activity stream? i still get the url/# thing when i go into make my own stream or to edit it

4 hours ago, dukeballa02 said:

so just out of curiosity is there a way to manipulate the "new downloads" tab into its own rss through activity stream? i still get the url/# thing when i go into make my own stream or to edit it

Unfortunately, you can't grab an RSS from a search function. I'm still waiting for a response from the forum support about the /# issue.

@mR12 so i was wondering....i notice there is an activity feed set up for new topics and posts....would there be anyway to create an activity feed for "new topics". that way we could set up an rss for that. That would essentially solve all of the people with rss feed issues.

6 hours ago, dukeballa02 said:

@mR12 so i was wondering....i notice there is an activity feed set up for new topics and posts....would there be anyway to create an activity feed for "new topics". that way we could set up an rss for that. That would essentially solve all of the people with rss feed issues.

That's precisely what the IPB forum developers did not believe to be a necessary feature. Believe me, if that was a possible option it would have been the first thing I tried! :D

19 minutes ago, dukeballa02 said:

@mR12 any updates on this, i know it's been awhile.

They're coming out with a new major release this summer, in which they make make the feature more customization. Until then, afraid no updates.

2 minutes ago, dukeballa02 said:

@mR12 now that V3.0 is running is there anyway to have an RSS of just the new downloads? I went in and tried updating my stream but there is still nothing really there for what the old old rss did for us

It seems like the developers find this to be a useless function, distinguishing between posts and topics. So sad.