Feeshmon

Top Disappointments Of 2016

121 posts in this topic

Blink and ADTR were by far the biggest disappointments of 2016. 

along with Of Mice, A7x, and ISS.

Of Mice & Men - Cold World || Just absolutely fucking godawful. I loved everything this band has put out up until Full Circle. Should have known that re-release bode poorly for the next album.

Crown The Empire - Retrograde || Actually has some decent tracks, but it's not the same band I wanted to hear. For their level of songwriting, Retrograde sounds like it was thrown together in a month.

Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage || What a letdown to massive potential momentum after the disappointment that was HTTK. 

Metallica - Hardwired... To Self Destruct || Just doesn't cut it, which is a shame. Had high hopes but didn't live up to it. Nearly every song on Death Magnetic blows this record to pieces. 

Skillet - Unleashed || Wasn't anticipating it hugely, but I was still disappointed. Seems all the bands I used to love when I was 15 can't write for shit anymore.

Bad Vibrations was also pretty bad. 

Tove Lo - Lady Wood

ok not gonna lie, I actually did like her album Queen Of the Clouds that she released in 2014. Some of the songs did have some distinctions that made them cool, like the gunshots in the background in the song "My Gun". But the song "Cool Girl" that she released this year was really crap and generic. I might have listened to a couple more songs on the album for a few seconds but I think it can be assumed that the rest of it is probably not very good. 

Bonus disappointments: The 2 most recent songs MØ released this year (Final Song and Drum).

Trash:

Attila

Of Mice & Men

Dance Gavin D- just kidding Mothership was great

Letdowns:

I See Stars

Crown the Empire

A Day to Remember

I know its not an album, but I really can't get into Hundredth's 2 singles

Parkway Drive

A Skylit Drive

Massive Letdowns:

Beartooth; it was kinda okay but the more I listened to it the more I liked it but their EP was golden and their first album was great it just wasn't what I was expecting

Idk they just blew up in popularity all of a sudden and it seems whenever that happens bands get worse

Biggest disappointment of 2016- me

lmao

serious note, Beartooth was nowhere near as good as Disgusting, and I didn't even listen to Cold War, but that shit is trash as fug

I'm super behind on reelases from this year, but out of what i've listened to, and can think of...

1. Of Mice & Men - Cold World || To be honest, if they are going to continue to make this kind of music, they need to change their name.

2. Crown The Empire - Retrograde || Runaways was one of my most listened to albums last year, but they dropped everything I loved about them.

3. Childish Gambino - "Awaken, My Love!" || They change in style is just not for me.

4. This Wild Life - Low Tides || I think I replayed their previous album a little too much and this one just didn't live up to it.

5. Danger Silent - Identity || Production was off which made it unbearable.

6. Drake - Views || Can't stand any of his new stuff. Not sure why I was expecting much, after his previous album.

7. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo || Just no.

8. Nine Lashes - Ascend || They definitely lost half their fans because of this. Lyrics are way too preachy, and the switch from Alternative Metal to Electronic Rock should be a sin in itself.

9. Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is to be Nowhere || Album left me wanting more, but not int he good way.

10. Storm the Sky - Sin Will Find You || New style is not for me. Loved them as Post Hardcore STS, not Alt Rock STS.

I'm sure there are more, but this is just from what I remember.

Ok i think you summed up my thought for this past year. I'll add, apart from TAA which i already said, new A7X, just boring as fuck.

Oh and man, that "Just no." totally killed me

2.gif.4452593f36a2f3505101a484f098740c.gif

Easily Retrograde & Cold World for biggest disappointment.

I was also hoping Transit Blues would be great but of course they wanted to follow a lame spoken word esque trend.

18 year old me was stoked to see new releases coming out from Say Anything, Billy Talent and Taking Back Sunday...

... 28 year old me, certainly was not.

Crown The Empire, Amity Affliction and Of Mice & Men earn stinker points from me too, as much as it pains me to do so.

Dude I didnt even know Say Anything, Billy Talent, or Taking Back Sunday came out with new material this year. Just gave some of the songs a spin nd I can see why....pretty disappointing, I really love Billy Talent :/

Not too many disappointments:

OM&M - biggest let down but not as big as last years Bring Me the Horizon

DGD - an improvement but still too poppy for me

Rob Zombie - some good tracks but too much filler

Block Party - kinda went in a weird direction, didnt grow on me as Id hope

Billy Talent - went soft...meh

Taking Back Sunday - gone indie?

Say Anything - meh, need to listen to more

The Devil Wears Prada - Transit Blues

Dance Gavin Dance - Mothership II Only listened through it once do, have to revisit it later.

Of Mice & Men - Cold World II Had no hopes of it being good, but a mean can dream.

I See Stars -  Treehouse

Beartooth - Aggressive

Asking Alexandria - The Black

Real Friends - The Home Inside

This Wild Life -  Low Tides II Expected way more tbh.

Beartooth
OM&M (wasn't really expecting anything good tho, but was still let down.)

Crown the Empire
Avenged Sevenfold
Capsize
Bayside
Anarbor

Wovenwar

...Periphery </3....kind of, was just expecting something to top Juggernaut, and P:3 did not imo.

I See Stars

Expire

A Day to Remember

The Color Morale (like 3 songs were good)

Wow that's a lot hahahaha

http://www.facebook.com/DosesNJ

New Self Titled EP out now on all streaming platforms!
http://linktr.ee/Doses

18 year old me was stoked to see new releases coming out from Say Anything, Billy Talent and Taking Back Sunday...

... 28 year old me, certainly was not.

Crown The Empire, Amity Affliction and Of Mice & Men earn stinker points from me too, as much as it pains me to do so.

28 year old me kinda enjoyed a lot of those SA, BT, TBS albums ;D but they won't be near my TOP 25 too.

28 year old me kinda enjoyed a lot of those SA, BT, TBS albums ;D but they won't be near my TOP 25 too.

New TBS was really good, once of my favorites of theirs in a while. BT was a disappointment, sadly. I love those guys. SA was ok, but I think they will never be where they used to be. 

Formerly known as
Nice_Backly

WK4Ilr1.jpg

After repeated listens Sum 41 isn't as good as Screaming Bloody Murder or Underclass Hero, sadly. Feels manufactured and weird.

Hands Like Houses lacks depth and variety, and fuller/richer sound that previous albums had, a lot more alt.rock influenced than post-hardcore too.

Tonight Alive - band that had so much fucking potential went down the drain with this bullshit album real quick.

ZAYN - One trick pony.

Beartooth - Same Shit Different Year The Album.

TFK - Exhale - wasn't this shit supposed to be a comeback? lol.

RHCP - The Getaway - I mean most of their albums just have a few hit songs and the rest is mediocre noise and this is no exception but at least the main single is so good. I still expected to enjoy it more.

Whitechapel - Mark Of The Blade - oshitniggerwhatareyoudoing.jpg

The New Low - Continuance, after the initial single or two I thought it'd have a more lasting impression, but I never really spun it after summer, meh.

Childish Gambino - Whatever the fuck - it's not Because The Internet Vol. 2

All of those alt.cuckified releases of August like TCM, Sylar, TAA, etc.

Keep in mind if I had small expectations if any for a bigger band to release a good album then I didn't include it in the list

(this includes cancer like The Black

penis

or Cuck World)

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

ERRA - Drift

Hands Like Houses - Dissonants

blink 182 - California

Cane Hill - Smile

Invent, Animate - Stillworld

Dikembe - Hail Something

Gift Giver - White Devil

The Devil Wears Prada - Transit Blues

Darke Complex - Point Oblivion

Green Day - Revolution Radio

Korn - The Serenity of Suffering

King 810 - La Petite Mort Or A Conversation With God

Yellowcard was pretty terrible. The shameful thing is that Southern Air is one of my favorites but the following two are just embarrassing. Same goes for Sum 41, that was basically a parody of their entire career.

Avenged sevenfold was the biggest disappointment. Just a proper letdown. The Rev was the backbone of A7X and imo have sold out. Nothing but a metallica/iron maiden cover band now.

giphy.gif

@@bost42 I loved Vacancy, man. Not Fair is a jam.

there were a couple of okay songs,  maybe tennessee was one of the only ones I really enjoyed

http://www.facebook.com/DosesNJ

New Self Titled EP out now on all streaming platforms!
http://linktr.ee/Doses

For me it was definitely crown the empire course then again they haven't released a good album since 2012-13

ERRA - Drift

Hands Like Houses - Dissonants

blink 182 - California

Cane Hill - Smile

Invent, Animate - Stillworld

Dikembe - Hail Something

Gift Giver - White Devil

The Devil Wears Prada - Transit Blues

Darke Complex - Point Oblivion

Green Day - Revolution Radio

Korn - The Serenity of Suffering

King 810 - La Petite Mort Or A Conversation With God

this isnt the top albums list my friend

Unbenannt.PNG.608ad8c221b6dcec8081cab805b2cf99.PNG

safasf.PNG.e0506e2343bf8ef53aad43fb48ead36c.PNG

attila- chaos was terrible

color morale's latest was absolute trash. BUT! their new album sounds like they're getting back to the heavy AND they're doing a comeback kid cover.

of mice and men was awful. they're apparently a stadium rock band now

night verse was bad

AFI was bad

3OH!3 was bad

I wasn't a fan of the new architects album either. i think i'll end with this one. it was terrible. couldn't tell when or where one song ended and the next started. it sounded like they were just redoing old shit that they KNEW would sell because it was the same exact breakdowns and the same exact delivery.

Wait people were legit disappointed by Dissonants? Wow... Also Cold War was not a disappointment to me at all.  Considering what Austin is dealing with, I knew there was very little chance his vocals could really be what they were during their self titled LP and the Flood.  Marfans is a fickle mistress.  

On to what disappointed me this year,  Architects, Beartooth, and Childish Gambino were probably the biggest disappointments for me initially, although with everything that happened, Architects kinda get a pass for me, cancer sucks.  The other thing that disappointed me for 2016, were the singles Dangerkids released.  Collapse was such a good album, but the three songs they released were just... kinda ok...

Dance Gavin Dance, Blink-182, Crown the Empire, Beartooth, Chelsea Grin (some hits but mostly filler).

Great year nonetheless

Memphis May Fire's new album. not remarkable or worth listening to more than once IMO

Also A7X's new album. when I heard The Stage when it came out as a single my expectations went too high for the album.

Also the new Wolves At The Gate wasn't quite as good as their other stuff.

Green Day was a huge letdown So was Yellowcards last cd

this isnt the top albums list my friend

I can read, kid. It's my biggest disappointments of last year. Not yours. It's all opinion in case you haven't noticed, FRIEND. :) I love all the bands I listed and they're all quality albums, sure, but they were all also albums I was really excited about hearing but didn't live up to any of their previous releases in the slightest. Not for me. So, yes, these albums may have been top albums in a popularity contest but not in a talent contest. MUCH better albums were released last year aside from the ones I listed. As much as I love all of em. Hype doesn't make an okay album good.

" Disappointment " goes hand in hand with what people were expecting, people expect way too much of some bands and leave themselves open for nothing but DISAPPOINTMENT.

#wisdom