Sign in to follow this  
Summers

Joji - Nectar (2020)

30 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

Sadboi hours

• Upvote 4

This album is super enjoyable, personally I feel it's a step up for Joji. Of course there are some songs here that I'll probably skip in the future, but some songs are really strong.
Also I am quite happy that this one ends with a more upbeat song, rather than the absolute emotionally crushing finale from BALLADS 1 (which still stands as my favorite Joji song tbh).

If you liked the singles, you'll enjoy this album for the most part I think. Have at it boyos.

Personal favorite thus far: Gimme Love, Run, Afterthought, 777, Reanimator

• Love 4

50 minutes ago, Uncreation said:

the absolute emotionally crushing finale from BALLADS 1 (which still stands as my favorite Joji song tbh).

holy shit somebody's giving See You In 40 the love it deserves, it's so fucking underrated

Loved at least half of it, and liked the rest a lot. It's a huge step up for Joji and a heavy bump. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only mf on earth who loved Ballads 1 when it came out, but it shrunk on me quite a bit since and a great chunk of it is elevator music compared to this. It's good, but very inoffensive. Most of this album goes way beyond that. Bit of filler which I was kinda expecting with the 18 tracks but it's very much excusable.

Favs: MODUS, Tick Tock, Daylight/Upgrade, Gimme Love, Run (flawless song, one of his best), Sanctuary, High Hopes, Pretty Boy (finally he's letting loose a bit and not in a generic and corny way like No Fun, also Yachty was shockingly good), 777, Reanimator (didn't live up to the expectations that came with Yves Tumor but it's still really great)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

NYYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSS FINALLY PAPA FRANKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Upvote 1

Been waiting for so long...I'll enjoy this album so much

37 minutes ago, paulstfu said:

NYYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSS FINALLY PAPA FRANKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Can't believe there's still people being this inmature

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

I love seeing Joji improve over every new release. This is absolutely his best work. 

• Upvote 1

The singles hadn't done much for me but this has so far has been great.

But man I can't be the only one who doesn't like long albums like this. Would much rather cut the fat or just be LP + EP or something. 

• Upvote 1

A true artist, hope he'll make it big in music

It's not without its duds, but it's an improvement from Ballads I

• Upvote 1

20200902_221303.jpg

Hey, that's pretty good.

But memes aside, I absolutely hate when artists put a year+ old single on a new record. I get if it's part of the "story/theme" of the album, but it comes off kinda lazy/uncreative.

For example Post Malone putting "Wow" on his most recent LP. But it's almost off-putting to line up 3 singles in the middle of the record like this.

I enjoy each of those songs, but when you are wanting to hear the new tracks and just play it in order and then it's about 9 minutes of something you've listened to until you hate it, kinda eh. 

But, probably just my OCD/excitement making me impatient with the way the tracks are meant to be listened to.

So far, really solid. I still wish we could get more of that moody noire 'Slow Dancing in the Dark' style and sound (maybe we do I'm not through it all yet) or even his EP or his earlier lofi stuff. 

Ballads was kinda stuck in the middle of his older style and styles he wanted to try. While I love several tracks off Ballads, so far Nectar is proving much more deliberately made and with a specific vision/story to tell.

Alright, it's long enough. I'll end it before I ramble anymore.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Hooliganmaul said:

Been waiting for so long...I'll enjoy this album so much

Try adding a profile picture and being around more before you throw shade at others. In George's own words "who gets to decide what real music is? Who says I can't make real meaningful music while making fun wacky culinary memes?" 

So if people want to make references to his old vids and such, and aren't harrassing anyone, leave them be.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

Sadboi hours

I felt that.

6 hours ago, Uncreation said:

Also I am quite happy that this one ends with a more upbeat song, rather than the absolute emotionally crushing finale from BALLADS 1 (which still stands as my favorite Joji song tbh).

see you in 40 is so fucking good

• Love 3

Unbenannt.PNG.608ad8c221b6dcec8081cab805b2cf99.PNG

safasf.PNG.e0506e2343bf8ef53aad43fb48ead36c.PNG

3 hours ago, Hooliganmaul said:

can't believe people still like to ruin others overexcitement over things

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SavageWraith said:

But memes aside, I absolutely hate when artists put a year+ old single on a new record. I get if it's part of the "story/theme" of the album, but it comes off kinda lazy/uncreative.

For example Post Malone putting "Wow" on his most recent LP. But it's almost off-putting to line up 3 singles in the middle of the record like this.

I enjoy each of those songs, but when you are wanting to hear the new tracks and just play it in order and then it's about 9 minutes of something you've listened to until you hate it, kinda eh. 

But, probably just my OCD/excitement making me impatient with the way the tracks are meant to be listened to.

I actually feel the opposite way! In general I'm much more likely to listen to a full length album rather than a single track, so when some singles aren't included on an LP it means I'll end up listening to them less compared to the music on a "proper" album. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ae fanboi 7 said:

can't believe people still like to ruin others overexcitement over things

^^^this

3 hours ago, oldsoul said:

I actually feel the opposite way! In general I'm much more likely to listen to a full length album rather than a single track, so when some singles aren't included on an LP it means I'll end up listening to them less compared to the music on a "proper" album. 

It's not so much that I don't like singles, it's more of "I've heard these 3 songs 100x each already as singles". That being said, I still listen to them through as the artist usually orders the tracks for a reason so to get the full intended experience, I still listen to it start to finish.

Just more about why include a year old single when you could've just included another new track, and the single could've just been a single.

6 hours ago, mister duck! said:

A true artist, hope he'll make it big in music

Well he already had a single that went Double Platinum, he already made it big in the US

@BrickFace : Yeah, just that little part with the chopped up guitar after the intro breaks my heart in insane ways. Powerful stuff.

@SavageWraith : Granted, this album was heavily delayed, also it's always good for the people who want the song on physical media when its included. Many single-only releases never get released on Vinyl etc.

• Upvote 1

FLAC added!

johnny booth.gif

Getting very tired of The 15+ Song Album tbh, especially artists as sleepy as Joji has been in the past. Is this any step up at all, songwriting-wise?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for this, was waiting for this 

1 hour ago, TomoLust said:

Getting very tired of The 15+ Song Album tbh, especially artists as sleepy as Joji has been in the past. Is this any step up at all, songwriting-wise?

I would say so. If you liked the singles you'll like some other tracks

• Upvote 1

20200902_221303.jpg

13 hours ago, ggl3dde said:

The singles hadn't done much for me but this has so far has been great.

But man I can't be the only one who doesn't like long albums like this. Would much rather cut the fat or just be LP + EP or something. 

I absolutely agree man, that's a problem I have with a lot of rap albums too. Even when every song is great I just get fatigued after 16 or 18 or 20 tracks, the sweet spot is 10-12 imo

• Upvote 2

I don't fuck with every single song but i'd be lying if I said this didn't catch me off guard. I haven't been keeping up with Joji since In Tongues, which I thought was promising, but damn, he really found his lane. The first half of this is suuuper strong, big James Blake vibes, MODUS in particular had me speechless.

I agree with the majority that there's some stuff that could've been left on the cutting room floor but overall this is better than anything I had in mind going into this.

• Upvote 2

jpUJCRq.gif

17 hours ago, Uncreation said:

Well he already had a single that went Double Platinum, he already made it big in the US

Ah ok, he's not that popular where I live in Europe but glad to hear that !

Glad Pretty Boy is a song now. Boat feature slaps

Unbenannt.PNG.608ad8c221b6dcec8081cab805b2cf99.PNG

safasf.PNG.e0506e2343bf8ef53aad43fb48ead36c.PNG

+.jpg

Saitama vs. Nokia.jpg