967-EVIL

Black Crown Initiate - Violent Portraits of Doomed Escape (2020)

18 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

So good, thanks!  Much better than their last one in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Fever said:

So good, thanks!  Much better than their last one in my opinion.  

every album by them was awesome to me haha

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, peripheryb said:

every album by them was awesome to me haha

For sure, every album is awesome.  I thought the last one was a slight dip compared to their first full length, and this one tops that second one for me by a long shot.  

• Upvote 1

bruhhhh less goooo

Fuck I hate long lengths for songs but I am loving the balance of cleans and uncleans on this. The riffs are just amazing too. I think I'll let this slide and download :) :jams:

This one's fighting the AOTY spot with Alphaville right now. Mammoth record, be sure to check it out.

Just some criticism:

I don't really like all the changes to Years In Frigid Light. The 4 seconds of silence at the end leading into Bellow shouldn't be so long as it breaks immersion.

Bellow has 12 seconds of silence at the end of the track.

He Is the Path just feels weird to have at the end, being a short postlude with the piano dominating the vocals.

Otherwise its pretty good.

I rate it 8 meatballs out of 10

• Upvote 1

Man, the first half of the album is killer but the second half just fell kinda flat for me for some reason. That's just my initial impression though, we'll see if it changes through the weekend.

I haven't checked any of the singles not to be spoiled and man, this feel like I have been waiting so long for it to be released.

• Upvote 2

=8) Thanks !

Awesome. I've been looking forward to this album more than any announced release this year.

18 hours ago, FallujahQc said:

I haven't checked any of the singles not to be spoiled and man, this feel like I have been waiting so long for it to be released.

That was a good call.  The album is still excellent but I had already heard most of it by the time the full album was available.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2020 at 1:04 PM, Zephyr Sunrise said:

Fuck I hate long lengths for songs but I am loving the balance of cleans and uncleans on this. The riffs are just amazing too. I think I'll let this slide and download :) :jams:

You'd love this song, although you could argue it is just a wee bit long

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, FallujahQc said:

Same, well I couldn't stay away from the first single and I have been eagerly waiting for months for this to drop. Gotta be one of the best Progressive Death Metal bands to ever do it imo.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Electric said:

You'd love this song, although you could argue it is just a wee bit long

That is a very long ass song :lol: Jesus fuck. I can't even imagine, the amount of writing. Smh :lol:

6 hours ago, Diet Indulgence said:

Same, well I couldn't stay away from the first single and I have been eagerly waiting for months for this to drop. Gotta be one of the best Progressive Death Metal bands to ever do it imo.

I've been eagerly waiting as well. I love reviewing albums, new and old, while going on a long run. Black Crown Initiate is certainly up there with best prog-death bands and their EP was tasty as hell.

Gotta be honest though. Ever since their first full length, they same to be moving laterally. This isn't a dig at all. I was just hoping for a bit more growth musically. They've refined their sound a bit, but they failed to expand yet again. Now, some very nice tracks are on this album but some of the song placement and use of spacing seem a bit off.

Dunno. To me this band has the talent to surpass Fallujah and Rivers of Nihil but I'm not sure if maybe my expectations were a bit too high or if they are content creating music similar their previous work. Still a very good album.

Finally some good heavy stuff. This is so fucking good. I rarely listen to death metal but this is one of those albums that just grabs you and takes you for one hell of a ride. Very dynamic for my taste.