mR12

Make Them Suffer - How to Survive a Funeral (2020)

134 posts in this topic

Easy contender for AOTY for sure, anyone else getting Greeley Estates - Straightjacket vibes from Fake Your Own Death?? Favorite song btw 🤘🏼🤘🏼

Other Releases by

thanks!

21 hours ago, lapizza said:

Yeah, today was the original release date. Some people got their preorder copies yesterday, which probably wasn't intended.

ouch

Had a feeling I was going to love this and, thankfully, I ended up doing so on first listen. I'm not a "heaviness = good" person, but I'm glad Make Them Suffer got their heavier sound again, because Worlds Apart, while a good album, didn't quite grab me as much as it should have. This album sits somewhere next to Old Souls for me in the rankings. Neverbloom is, and forever will be, the goat though.

"Falling Ashes," "Bones," "Erase Me," "Fake Your Own Death," title track, "The Attendant"... So many fucking awesome highlights on here.

• Upvote 3

The purest, non-conformist jaded subhuman terrorist.

6 hours ago, Blood Moon said:

Who fucking hurt you? 

Lol. The shot at 27 was spitefully added after the downvotes poured in. But to really answer the question honestly, I'm just salty about the direction this band took and I can't help but be confused when people praise their most generic material. I'm not trying to shit on you guys for liking it, I just legit don't understand, and when I ask why people like it so much,  the question is actually genuine. Like in my head I think, okay if you like THAT style there are countless bands that do something similar, but this band did something DIFFERENT, and they were really fucking good at it. In the past if I wanted songs like Requiem or Threads, I really didn't have a lot of choices, they filled that role. Now there's nothing in their sound unique enough for me to need to turn to them over other bands and that makes me genuinely sad. Hollowed Heart is like the poster child of what I don't want, and that's why I single it out. When everyone screams "yeah, give us a full album of that" I just think "oh god, please no."

So, forgive my salt, this band held a special place in my library and the fact that they've left it bums me right the fuck out.

An endless assault of nasty riffs and aggression. Such a good album 

• Upvote 3

this is solid, thank you for the leak.

Generic djentcore but 'Erase Me' is really good.

• Confused 1

tumblr_oogflfTa4Y1sntf5mo1_500.gif

Another record on my AOTY list. For me this is better than Worlds Apart. 
p.s. Drew Fulk is one of the best producers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I don’t get the hate that this album is getting. All of their albums have been extremely different. And this had a little bit of something for everyone. There is not a single song you can skip. Tons of bangers, and few songs that venture in directions MTS hasn’t done before.

Sean was already one of my favorite vocalists by a large margin, and then he shows even more growth on this album. my lone complaint is that the album is so short. 

• Upvote 4

I dunno why but the album art makes me uncomfortable???

On 6/5/2020 at 12:08 AM, DeXX said:

Australia for the win, you're welcome!

Thank you for also giving us Ocean Grove & Northlane

• Upvote 1

I think this album is the sequel to Old Souls in term of story. The story on old souls ended when the guy took his own life and the song "Requiem" was his funeral. Now, all the songs on this album have links to death or funerals in some ways. 

• Upvote 1

I'm glad I've never checked mts before now so I can just enjoy this incredible album without complaining about it not sounding like previous albums.  

I love all the interesting electronic touches threaded through the album, without them taking the spot light away from the jams.  I love the way the band transitions between the melodic sections, the relentless technical sections, and the fun.. bouncy core shit.  nothing feels jarring or 'random'.. a nice progression through out.  the worst part about bands who cram this much variety in an album is when it just feels like they're hoping carelessly from idea to idea.  these guys remind me of Northlane in how they carefully write in hints of a transition long before it actually happens so it feels earned.

• Upvote 2

So...normally when you guys hype a metalcore album from a band I don't know, I end up hating it.  Like Northlane....straight garbage if you ask me.  

But THIS album is absolutely amazing!  The guitar is awesome, the female vocals are awesome, the melodic vocals, the lyrics....I can't say a bad thing about it.  I listened to Worlds Apart as well, which I liked, but not as much as this one.  The singer adding the melodic screaming and clean vocals makes all the difference for me.  10/10!  The only album this year I like more than this is Polaris.  Australia is kicking serious ass this year.  Thank you @Hawkins2210 for the leak!  

Without this community, I wouldn't even know about 90% of my current favorite bands.  Best site ever.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, BeforeWeAreHanged said:

So...normally when you guys hype a metalcore album from a band I don't know, I end up hating it.  Like Northlane....straight garbage if you ask me.  

Get out of here. Alien is a masterpiece. Top 5 album of all time, regardless of genre. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, BeforeWeAreHanged said:

At least Northlane are doing something more innovative and refreshing than this, don't get me wrong this album is fine like a 6 or 7/10 but it has been done like a million times meanwhile there isn't too many albums like Alien 

• Upvote 1

Screen_Shot_2020-09-04_at_7.10.32_PM.png

51 minutes ago, BeforeWeAreHanged said:

But THIS album is absolutely amazing!  The guitar is awesome, the female vocals are awesome, the melodic vocals, the lyrics....I can't say a bad thing about it.  I listened to Worlds Apart as well, which I liked, but not as much as this one.  The singer adding the melodic screaming and clean vocals makes all the difference for me.  10/10!  The only album this year I like more than this is Polaris.  Australia is kicking serious ass this year.  Thank you @Hawkins2210 for the leak!  

Without this community, I wouldn't even know about 90% of my current favorite bands.  Best site ever.  

You could've said this literally without mentioning NL, unnecessary stirring of a pot 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, BeforeWeAreHanged said:

Like Northlane....straight garbage if you ask me.  

Have to ask, how do you love Disguise, but think Alien is garbage? I like Motionless In White, but both bands have very similar traits nowadays, like the Electronic/Industrial elements.

8 hours ago, BeforeWeAreHanged said:

Its like you want summers to freak out on you and go on a rant about Alien 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BeforeWeAreHanged said:

Way to out yourself as a basic bitch 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

klsig.png.3267830764a221b632f399d63c5c2267.png

10 hours ago, Dancing in the Dust said:

You could've said this literally without mentioning NL, unnecessary stirring of a pot 

I mean...I really wasn’t trying to. Just using an example. I had no idea this many people would care so much. 

10 hours ago, Summers said:

At least Northlane are doing something more innovative and refreshing than this, don't get me wrong this album is fine like a 6 or 7/10 but it has been done like a million times meanwhile there isn't too many albums like Alien 

Fair enough. Clearly I’m the minority here, but I hated it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Joseph said:

Way to out yourself as a basic bitch 

Insulting people online is cool, and makes you sound very tough. 👍

1 hour ago, BeforeWeAreHanged said:

Insulting people online is cool, and makes you sound very tough. 👍

I am big tough boy you better watch out 💪💪💪😤

• Upvote 1

klsig.png.3267830764a221b632f399d63c5c2267.png

4 hours ago, Edgekrvzher said:

Have to ask, how do you love Disguise, but think Alien is garbage? I like Motionless In White, but both bands have very similar traits nowadays, like the Electronic/Industrial elements.

um xcUse me sweatie, nordlan band sound like Skrillex, I don't listen to that techno

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Edgekrvzher said:

The traits might be similar, but the overall sound is not even close. 

26 minutes ago, BeforeWeAreHanged said:

The traits might be similar, but the overall sound is not even close. 

You’re right, Alien is far superior. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, OrcaSmuggler said:

You’re right, Alien is far superior. 

My favorite album of 2019 for a reason. It's brilliant.

57 minutes ago, Edgekrvzher said:

My favorite album of 2019 for a reason. It's brilliant.

No doubt, that album turned me ( previously not a fan ) into a Northlane super fan. That album is incredible. Super fresh and new for the genre. And the lyrics ( even the I can’t relate on a personal level ) cut so deep. Words can’t describe how much I love that album. 

• Upvote 1

Wanted to leave one more comment on this thread to confirm that this is my current AOTY. It's actually crazy how the singles were all good songs, but not really up to MTS quality, but then every other song on the album was spectacular (as of when the album leaked, who knows what singles they will release before 7/24). As for those 3 singles, I see how Drown With Me and Soul Decay fit into the soundscape of the album, and Drown With Me grew on me quite a bit with the whole album in mind. Erase Me is the most simply structured song on the album but worked really well as a first single and it's a good song, but definitely falls into the background with respect to the record as a whole.

My favorites, as I've alluded to, are every other song: Step One, Falling Ashes, Bones, Fake Your Own Death, title track, The Attendant, and That's Just Life. Most of these are just ignorantly heavy in what may seem as generic djent at times, but there's so many layers to the heaviness that I'd have to refute anyone trying to make that point. The tone of the ending of Step One is just more enjoyably heavy than most songs that bands in the scene put out, and that continues with Falling Ashes. The album as a whole just feels like a cohesive project that's brutal in its heaviness and ethereal when it needs to be, as well, and it does both aspects in super interesting and entertaining ways. 

EDIT: I also do think it's better than WA even though I loooooved WA. I just think this one is more consistently enjoyable to listen to.

Gotta go with a 9/10 on this and yeah AOTY so far, just edging out Loathe.

• Love 2

i had to double check the date today WOW this is early. cant wait to blast it in my car

I find it sad that this band went from being a GREAT band to be a mediocre as fuck band. Nothing interesting in this album, maybe "Fake Your Own Death"? I still got a huge respect for them, their first two records are amazing.

• Downvote 2