Chief

Currents - The Way It Ends (2020)

114 posts in this topic

Incredible album with tons of diversity.  If you can't get on bored with the melody and cleans, go listen to ABR.  On the other hand I side with those upset about Poverty of Self / Second Skin; if it were me I'd do the identical album release layout but save PoS.  I feel like singles should be reflective of the album as a whole, and this album is definitely more geared towards those preferred AFTW and Monters.  Still 10/10.

• Upvote 1

Other Releases by

Origin fucking RIPS. 

I think this is a great sophomore effort from the metal core boys. It doesn't leave the same impact that TPIFS left with me but I think that has to do with the current scene.

This album feels like it'll be a grower in the community. Lots of interesting little bits that weren't present in TPIFS. It's like they took ILTDI and put it on crack hahaha

I approve of this album.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Gvmbit said:

@ggl3dde Oh definitely, I think they should've saved at least Poverty of Self and Second Skin for the album cause they gave me the wrong idea of it, which is fine cause I love me some cleans and softer work. But this feels shallow and uninspired? I don't know, I am happy the rest are enjoying it though.

I have to agree that it really suprised me, with the singles they've released I was really expecting same old Currents. 

I'll need to give it more spins, but I think they made a good decision, because they were slightly sliding into the sub category of metalcore bands that make songs that have way too many similarities in term of paterns and overall structures.

At least that's how I felt personally, I was getting disinterested more and more, while they always executed that formula like real pros, I've been listening to this genre for so long that I get more and more disinterested as the years pass by. Architects won the best album in 2018 and I never even listened to the whole thing because they're amongst the top bands to fall into that sub category.

For new fans of the genre it sounds amazing, that's for sure, because everything they do is great, but for many fans it's just something that have been heard way too many times. (Talking about Architects to close my point here btw.)

I feel as we start to mature and grow up, we start to appreciate more in life. The atmosphere in this record is just touching, to say the least. It’s not all about riffs and breakdowns, it’s about feeling and connecting with the melodies and sound. That’s what you can do here with these cleans and complex harmonies just thriving in the background to create such a storm of a set of songs. This album has a lot of similarities to Polaris’s new album IMO. So grounded, so solid, so meaningful. I understand how it may not “stick” to many folks at first, but with time, it will. These guys are one of a kind in the scene. 10/10

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Hmmm, I find the first 5 tracks pretty unlistenable other than Second Skin, but then tracks 6-11 are all solid minus How I Fall Apart which is just Currents at their worst & most melodramatic imo.

EDIT: Favorite is Split by a hefty margin

• Downvote 1

That riff towards the end of Let me leave tho... Damn son, this was one of the best I’ve heard this year so far. I rarely react out loud, but yeah...

• Upvote 1

Such an amazing album ! Love it from the start to end, and "Better Days" is so emotional, AOTY for sure.

I loved the last EP and I love this record more than their first record. Saw these guys on the trilogy tour and they are sick live! This record is great!

• Upvote 3

Finally got around to this big contender for album of the year

holy damn this album is emotional as hell, they definitely released the more surface level songs as the singles, Kill the Ache - Better Days bring the feels.

This album is definitely more atmospheric, and a little less heavy than TPIFS. You can tell the singer is a lot more confident in his cleans this time around.

Some songs like Kill the Ache, Poverty of Self, and Origin took me a few listens to actually appreciate.

Favorites: Let Me Leave, Split, How i Fall Apart, Second Skin

• Upvote 1

Great music from what I've heard so far, can't wait to dive into this! Thanks for sharing...

5effd2a4750bd913316084.gif

fucking great album

• Upvote 1

This is AOTY, there is no chance anything better comes out.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

What a fucking album <3

This album was fantastic! I think I built a little bit too unrealistic expectations do to already loving these guys so much. This may be unpopular, but I didn’t care for them going for more singing in the way that they did it. And I usually don’t mind when bands do that, but in this case, Brian doesn’t have a huge diversity in his singing. On the other hand, his scream is so recognizable that I want it a bit more. 

I don’t want to get this twisted though, it is still a fantastic album. Lyrically wonderful, and relate to quite a few of them. The closer gave me chills. 

tier one: Monsters, origin, split,  how I fall apart and better days

tier two: a flag to wave, poverty of self, kill the ache

tier three: never there, let me leave, second skin

Im confused. I see "Better Days" on every website I check, including Sharptone's site. 

16 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven_3 said:

Im confused. I see "Better Days" on every website I check, including Sharptone's site. 

Almost like it might be on the album?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, this album is amazing. It has it all. Catchy cleans, brutal and wide-ranging screams, technical guitar riffs, intense breakdowns, and perfect flow. I truly believe we have hit a Metalcore Renaissance in the recent years. Newer bands like Currents, Polaris, Invent Animate, Aviana, Hollow Front, Silent Planet, Wage War, and Thornhill have been absolutely killing it. (Counterparts, August Burns Red, The Ghost Inside, Erra, Bleed From Within, Crystal Lake, and Architects all had amazing albums recently too albeit they are not new to the scene). I'm probably missing some but that just further proves my point.

• Upvote 1

Currents came in with some heavy weight shit this year holy fuck

毎日が夏休み // Every day is a summer vacation
Speed King.jpg

This group has acquired an increasingly impressive maturity.

They know perfectly where they are going and frankly this album is really excellent.

I think they haven't finished impressing us !! :)

This album overall is a solid release, a lot of skipable songs for me, I'm still thinking the new I Am Abomination is my AOTY 

What an album, what an unbelievable growth. They are bigger than the A68 iceberg. Currents are everything.

northlane,bloodline.jpg