Summers

Our Last Night - Let Light Overcome The Darkness (2020)

38 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, DreamAgain said:

Nah they took the cover thing, ran it in to the ground and kept drilling so hard they came out in china.  They hit diminishing returns on that shit like 10 years ago.  I haven't listened to a single one in many years.

I think it's less about "judging" them for being a cover band and more about it just becoming a complete meme.

As far as their actual albums go they've been pretty erratic and all over the place in terms of consistency and quality.  One could argue much of their stuff isn't even "good" music, it's all pretty formulaic that's been done by a million other bands a million times before.  To me I'm not that stingy, sometimes they are a fun catchy post-hardcore band and sometimes it's super bland.  Their last consistently good release to me was probably Oak Island.

I do agree with you that it's formulaic. But so is Wage War, and they're top of the metalcore game right now. Polaris is extremely formulaic as well. Those are straight forward structured metalcore songs, BUT they're masters of their craft. A lot of OLN's original work has been inconsistent and I agree with that too. I rarely listen to anything off of Younger Dreams, and I'd say Oak Island is some of their best work. Selective hearing I didn't care for. But Let Light Overcome The Darkness is some of their best work in a while. It's structured sure, but they've mastered their take on it. The guitar work is very OLN. They know their sound and they don't shy away from it, it's not super experimental, but sometimes, especially in 2020, that's honestly okay. Sometimes it's refreshing to have a band not completely change their sound. It's really good songwriting

Other Releases by

the definition of a label making a cash grab.....2 EP releases only to become together on a studio with a couple remixes or whatever. disappointed the band allowed this, aside from just finishing their deal

• Downvote 2

Through love frequency I vibe into your scope

Assuming your parameters

Encompassed and unknown

9 hours ago, blakewarford said:

I do agree with you that it's formulaic. But so is Wage War, and they're top of the metalcore game right now. Polaris is extremely formulaic as well. Those are straight forward structured metalcore songs, BUT they're masters of their craft. A lot of OLN's original work has been inconsistent and I agree with that too. I rarely listen to anything off of Younger Dreams, and I'd say Oak Island is some of their best work. Selective hearing I didn't care for. But Let Light Overcome The Darkness is some of their best work in a while. It's structured sure, but they've mastered their take on it. The guitar work is very OLN. They know their sound and they don't shy away from it, it's not super experimental, but sometimes, especially in 2020, that's honestly okay. Sometimes it's refreshing to have a band not completely change their sound. It's really good songwriting

Ya I mean I don't have anything against them.  I remember listening through these songs as EP's and found most of them enjoyable then within the first week or two of release never listened to them again.  That's basically this band in a nutshell for me personally.

13 hours ago, DIMENSIONAUT IN 3D said:

the definition of a label making a cash grab.....2 EP releases only to become together on a studio with a couple remixes or whatever. disappointed the band allowed this, aside from just finishing their deal

They aren't on a label lol 

• Confused 1

twitter.com/stlavallee

On 5/1/2020 at 11:00 PM, DIMENSIONAUT IN 3D said:

They haven't been with a label since Age of Ignorance lol. Oak island and on they've been doing it themselves.

• Upvote 1

Say what you want about them but Bury the Hatchet goes hard live lol

gateway band for sure.

Rating:

3.987502 / 5 thiccness points

Lol @ label cash grab. They have been fan funded for years now. That's the sickest thing for a band . Also, They are probably getting pretty good passive income from their YouTube covers. It's actually very smart because those videos always do super well. Dark Horse has 23M + views. That's freaking awesome! They literally are a gateway band into this sub genre and are very good at what they do. Super awesome dudes that deserve it all. 

Been enjoying the new song Hysteria alot. Glad they put it all in one album now.