Chief

Dance Gavin Dance - Afterburner (2020)

276 posts in this topic

Excited for the 320 leak. I have listened to anything but the singles yet and one In a million and I've really liked everything so far that I have heard. Most I have anticipated a DGD album since DBM2

Other Releases by

@Cam979 never said i was offended. it just felt out of place for them in phc to say nigga

• Upvote 1

Through love frequency I vibe into your scope

Assuming your parameters

Encompassed and unknown

This feels like a rock solid album if you count the singles. If you don't (because you didn't like some of the singles) it feels a little lacking. There are genuine parts that almost flourish with intrigue but never quite feels gratifying. However, I can't stop listening to Into The Sunset, the ambience that song puts off is just remarkable in my opinion. I admire them experimenting a little more even if it doesn't top their previous albums. It shows that they can experiment without selling out or switching their style completely to appeal to a demographic. They are experimenting for their own sake and not completely for others and that in itself is respectable considering no other band can sound remotely as close to them.

34 minutes ago, DIMENSIONAUT IN 3D said:

@Cam979 never said i was offended. it just felt out of place for them in phc to say nigga

Jason Butler of letlive. has previously done it.

Ugh I wanna listen so bad but wanna wait for 320 lol

• Upvote 3

Overall: ~8/10

There are some serious bangers here, but there are also a bunch of underwhelming tracks. Easily ranked in the middle of the discog.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

596608895_na2020newkl.png.cf55878107374737a11284053516e96b.png

disappointed with this, listened 3 times now and I might say it's their worst album to date. :(  I was really looking forward to it as well

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, herrlosse said:

disappointed with this, listened 3 times now and I might say it's their worst album to date. :(  I was really looking forward to it as well

I’d give it another shot after 320 is released. I think it’s one of their best but that’s obviously subjective. My top 3 before this album were mothership, DBM2, happiness in that order.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Choose said:

I’d give it another shot after 320 is released. I think it’s one of their best but that’s obviously subjective. My top 3 before this album were mothership, DBM2, happiness in that order.

I don't think it's going to make much difference, improving file quality isn't going to change the melodies, structures, lyrics or general vibe of the album. It may be one that grows on me over time. I think DBM2 is the best, followed by DGD then DBM.. 

lol @ all of you judging how the album sounds at 128 kbps. That's like judging taco bell without using any sauce. I wait, patiently. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

320 and FLAC added!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

johnny booth.gif

320 update LET'S FUCKIN GOOOOOOOOOOO

• Upvote 1

ezgif-4-691fb700c39e.gif.3ecc240b91235490915e500fd7210f2a.gif

Time to really dive in. Thanks for having the lossless up so quick. Can't wait for my bundle to come.

Edit: so many guitar parts I'm noticing that I didn't before.  There's a few parts the 128 sounded like bent notes but are actually runs and sweep picking. I'm also listening on much better headphones now so that couod be part of it.

JESUS H MARY!!!!!

Just a warning. Audio is corrupt on Born To Fail and skips over a section for anyone grabbing the flac version. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3

UWOOOOOW LESGOOOOOW

1 hour ago, Can'tComplain said:

Just a warning. Audio is corrupt on Born To Fail and skips over a section for anyone grabbing the flac version. 

aw shit! we should wait for a few days for a cleaner version

10 minutes ago, good night moon said:

aw shit! we should wait for a few days for a cleaner version

I just grabbed the 320 for that one track for now, It could've been a mistake on the official upload to streaming services. If not we are just waiting until tomorrow or until one of the staff fix it. Dgd had audio errors before with one of their instrumental albums, so who knows.

I'm now on 6th listen and I like it more haha

Parallels slams.

• Upvote 1

I’ve had some time to listen to it a few times now and not that anyone really cares for my opinion but here’s my take. I really enjoy about half the songs on the album and the other half are a bit forgettable to me. Especially “Born To Fail” “Parallels” “Into The Sunset” and “Calentamiento Global” which is actually a track I deleted because honestly I’m just not going to listen to it. I saw that a lot of people liked some of these tracks I mentioned but they just aren’t for me. I surprisingly really like most of the singles that were the most. I will definitely keep listening and spinning the tracks I enjoy like I did with Artificial Selection but I don’t think the replay value will be anywhere close to Mothership and Instant Gratification for me. 

• Upvote 1

rsz_1tapestry1000x-pad750x1000f8f8f8u1.jpg

Is this real 320? Why does the 320 version still say kingdom-leaks exclusive on Say Hi? o_O

I noone going to mention the fact that Tilian fucking screams? This is easily my fave DGD album, such a step forward and Tilian's screams are godlike.

I found it pretty enjoyable. Not a masterpiece, there's some great tune, feels way more inspired than Artificial Selection, but it certainly is no Mothership. A good 6/10

• Love 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm starting to wonder how this band would be if Andrew Wells became a full time member, especially the vocals

Great!

Alright, listened to it all the way through. Here is my 5 cents:
DISCLAIMER: I am a DGD fan.

Firstly, those that say this sounds like every other DGD album are dead wrong. This is the "least" DGD sounding of all their albums so far. There is some really different songs on this album that would not be on IG or Mothership.

Overall I found that I was underwhelmed by this album. Although the singles were good, they didn't really stand out all that much. Too much of the middle section of the album feels like filler songs. According to my total of each song rating this album is a tie with ArSe (both at 75%), an album which scored significantly lower than the next lowest DGD album Mothership which was at 92%.

Maybe in time I will find this album better than I do now, but as of now I am not really impressed.

P.S. How did Bless This Mess not make it onto this album!!!???

Is it fucked up that I wish Andrew Wells was the singer...don't get me wrong dgd can't make a bad song but maybe I've grown accustom to a new singer once In Awhile. They should at least have him in more then one song an album considering im pretty sure he is in the band now and it be nice to have different vocal styles throughout.

@Chief Hey just to let you know on the FLAC version "Born to Fail" has corrupted audio and skips forward several seconds at 0:43 and maybe on other parts too. Idk if u can do anything about it but I figured I'd let you know. 

13 hours ago, 967-EVIL said:

320 and FLAC added!

"Born to Fail" on the FLAC version is corrupted at 0:43 and skips forward several seconds. Just to give everyone a heads up!

2 hours ago, ggl3dde said:

I'm starting to wonder how this band would be if Andrew Wells became a full time member, especially the vocals

33 minutes ago, Mcnutz said:

Is it fucked up that I wish Andrew Wells was the singer...don't get me wrong dgd can't make a bad song but maybe I've grown accustom to a new singer once In Awhile. They should at least have him in more then one song an album considering im pretty sure he is in the band now and it be nice to have different vocal styles throughout.

He should join the band and sing alongside Tilian. They both have amazing voices that can both harmonize and contrast with each other. It would be absolutely insane if they ever tried two clean vocalist on an entire album. That probably wont happen tho cus of reasons.

• Upvote 6