Chief

Dance Gavin Dance - Afterburner (2020)

276 posts in this topic

I'd say this lies solidly in the bottom half of the DGD catalogue, but still solidly ahead of Artificial Selection. It's got enough to keep me interested, but there are a lot of songs that I won't be coming back to listen to. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Other Releases by

Not really into this after a listen.  Feels like the album has more "experimental" moments, but not necessarily in any direction I find appealing.  The more standard DGD tracks end up being my initial standouts like Lyrics Lie and Strawberry's Wake.

Though while Mothership grabbed me right away, it took me a little bit for ArSe to click with me.  So might just need to listen through it a few more times, or maybe I'm just not as big of a DGD fan as I used to be.  Of course, driving to and from work is when I get my best listening done, which isn't happening as much these days... so... :/

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Joseph said:

dance gavin dance have been releasing the same shit every 2 years and you keep listening to it 

i'm not surprised they haven't bothered innovating 

this album could be 30 hours of will swan shitting in a bath tub and you'd call it AOTY

you're scum and you don't deserve any better 

congrats on disturbing the circlejerk, overhypedcore "SAVIOURS OF POST"

I never understood why this website ships this band so much. After Prisoner i knew why and now im through my first listen to this album.

Beside one or two songs, i really like this album. 

Okay DGD Cult, you got me. Do with me what you want!

Highlights so far: Prisoner, Lyrics Lie, Calentamiento Global, Born to Fail, Say Hi and Nothing Shameful

• Love 3

19 hours ago, kyleetrotter said:

Thanks Chief!  Hopefully a 320 is posted ASAP.  

.... why was this downvoted?

lol

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Not really into this after a listen.  Feels like the album has more "experimental" moments, but not necessarily in any direction I find appealing.  The more standard DGD tracks end up being my initial standouts like Lyrics Lie and Strawberry's Wake.

Though while Mothership grabbed me right away, it took me a little bit for ArSe to click with me.  So might just need to listen through it a few more times, or maybe I'm just not as big of a DGD fan as I used to be.  Of course, driving to and from work is when I get my best listening done, which isn't happening as much these days... so... :/

they still haven’t topped Instant Gratification or Acceptance Speech 2.0 

• Upvote 1

Calentamiento Global is like listening to The Mars Volta.

• Upvote 2

ok, now after 4 spins I have a better feel for this album. It's good, not great. back 5 songs are stronger than you'd expect, aside from the closer. more experimental and fun that i was expecting. could've had more angry/throwdown jon mess and Will could've driven the songs with more lead riffs. Will almost disappears in the background with high little melodies that are more nuance than essential

Prisoner: 4/5 best song on the album. dying to see this live. amazing chorus. love the power chords in the chorus. really helps empower that part. nice changeup dancy part. could've been a third chorus

Lyrics Lie: 3/5 another good song to start it off. i like jon mess in the prechorus creating that emphasis. well done overall

Calentamiento Global: 2/5 one of the weaker songs. Tilian's spanish is completely unnecessary in context and he sounds like a gringo. it's about global warming, nothing spanish. could've put this song later in the album

Three Wishes: 2/5 surprisingly weak single. mostly just OoOoooOOoh and jon mess' "MULTIPLE STAB WOUNDS" (which is the best part of this song). tilian could've done better

One In A Million: 3/5 tilian's intro was really good coming in hot. one of the better choruses on the record. since they really focused on tilian for this record, it's either hit or miss, and this was hit.

Parody Catharsis: 2/5 every song that just missed was close to being good but tilian typically has weak lyrics and forgettable choruses. the rap part here was a miss for me and tilian didnt do anything for me here

Strawberry's Wake: 3/5 one of the stronger songs on the album. nice balance of quality tilian and jon mess being catchy and quirky. nice pitched screams. really nice bass here too

Born To Fail: 2/5 not sure why tilian recycles tides of man vocal parts on here, or why he's all of a sudden serious and critical of a girl as if he's jonny craig. like most songs that just missed, i almost liked this but it just didnt have "it"

Parallels: 2/5 reminds me of "COCAINE, CRINGE FIST" cuz it's another dgd song about coke. it's kinda good and yea it's fun, but tilian saying he needs a bump came across like YEA OK SURE BRO. jon mess carries this song easily with "IM CRACKED OUT IN A CAVE" but too laid back in delivery.  if jon mess came out hostile like the mess of old it could've been stronger. fun mess is good but serious/angry mess is the shit

Night Sway: 3/5 why is this at the back of the album? arguably the strongest non single. nice chorus by tilian. Will is almost forgotten in the mix at parts which is annoying. nice bass work here. i see this making their live setlist

Say Hi: 2/5 i like jon mess' part with "another night alone" but tilian making a chorus out of "did you notice i'm normal" is about as boring as possible. why claim you're typical? jon mess comes back with an interesting vocal thing before screaming and will has a nice shred behind him but could've been more prominent. tilian singing lower register stands out but the chorus needs to be replaced

Nothing Shameful: 3/5 can we just add andrew wells into the band already? the intro was really good and andrew's vocal segment was really welcome, once again. he really adds something. tilian has more energy and a better chorus here. as in every song on the album, i'm begging Will to get off the extremely high nuance melodies that don't help drive the song. stop hiding when you're a god. this is another song i would welcome to their live set

Into The Sunset: 2/5 not bad, but that Bilmuri part ruins the song. weakest song on the album for me right now. has decent bits but then literally pauses and comforts Bilmuri. bro if you're gonna come on the album for a feature at least be diverse enough to sing over their style. I like a few Bilmuri songs but nothing in the last few years. the bit here does nothing for me and the beat is clearly not a DGD song. kind of annoying cuz DGD has a thing for closer bangers and this just ruined it. and did they really say "nigga" at 2:59??? like why bro

Favorite songs: Prisoner, Lyrics Lie, One In A Million, Strawberry's Wake, Night Sway, Nothing Shameful....so 6 good songs. While I had high expectations, this is a good release

3/5 Overall

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 2

Through love frequency I vibe into your scope

Assuming your parameters

Encompassed and unknown

Haven't loved a DGD album this much since Downtown Battle Mountain, not to say that I didn't like the rest but this and DBM clap some cheeks mang 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

@arcanelake23 this and DBM are 10000% different. what makes u like this if you didnt feel the same for tilian's other albums when they're largely the same? actually they usually have two bangers on tilian albums and this only had prisoner, so to me it's weaker. mothership and artificial selection are likely more top heavy

• Downvote 1

Through love frequency I vibe into your scope

Assuming your parameters

Encompassed and unknown

Awesome album, waiting for the quality release to actually keep spinning it over and over.

• Upvote 1

@DIMENSIONAUT IN 3D nah fam don't get me wrong, really liked the other albums too but I feel like this and DBM just have that extra bounce ya know wha i mean 
either way its subjective, just glad there's still bands that are actually putting effort into their music 

@desk lol i probably will listen to 50 good bands but not 9999 any sort of garbage

• Love 1

Yeah! So far after one listen It's great as expected, but I don't think it could reach Mothership. Though it's definitely more experimental than the safe Artificial Selection.

I clearly need more listens to can really judge, DGD is the epitome of grower music, I haven't liked anything about them when I listened to them at first. :lol:

Favorites so far beside the singles: Say Hi, Parallels and Calentamiento Global.

RnmmCRF.gif

I like it a bit more than Artificial Selection, but not more than Mothership. It does have song that I like as much as my favs from Mothership (Man of the Year, Philosopher King, Inspire the Liars) though.

Favorite songs (favorite to least favorite): Say Hi, Born to Fail, Prisoner, Calentamiento Global (love the groove on this song).

3 hours ago, DIMENSIONAUT IN 3D said:

and did they really say "nigga" at 2:59??? like why bro

I'm pretty sure Will was the one who said nigga, and he's part black so...

• Upvote 3

On 4/20/2020 at 12:41 PM, Joseph said:

dance gavin dance have been releasing the same shit every 2 years and you keep listening to it 

this album could be 30 hours of will swan shitting in a bath tub and you'd call it AOTY

@Joseph this is top tier copypasta

• Upvote 1

bV4oZCi.png

On 4/20/2020 at 11:41 AM, Joseph said:

If you've got a 30 hour recording of Will Swan shitting in a bath tub, I would love to hear it. 

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2020 at 5:10 PM, feverxdream said:

@ShadowChao94 theres a bunch of shit music that isnt good that people like. People still like falling in reverse and state Champs lol 

Falling In Reverse is actually upping their game massively lately but I agree about State Champs

On 4/20/2020 at 4:02 PM, DekinhoDesu said:

I love Falling in Reverse <3

Makes sense smh

• Love 1

I just listened to this in it's entirety and somehow they've lost all their energy ? Most of the songs sounds so lifeless that I couldnt even finish most of them.
It feels that so much is missing, I got bored really fast.
Some songs do stand out, the sing in spanish was cool but I listen to UABB so nothing new here LOL. I'd rather listen to Normandie sing in swedish.
Being really honest, seeing the comments you guys made, I think the problem must have been me this time.
I may have moved on past this band, which sucks cause they hold up such a special place in my heart..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DekinhoDesu said:

I just listened to this in it's entirety and somehow they've lost all their energy ? Most of the songs sounds so lifeless that I couldnt even finish most of them.
It feels that so much is missing, I got bored really fast.
Some songs do stand out, the sing in spanish was cool but I listen to UABB so nothing new here LOL. I'd rather listen to Normandie sing in swedish.
Being really honest, seeing the comments you guys made, I think the problem must have been me this time.
I may have moved on past this band, which sucks cause they hold up such a special place in my heart..

I like it, but I kind of agree. Outside of the singles the rest of it was missing those "wow" moments. A lot of it sounded similar and I feel like the tracks didnt have enough identity of their own. I absolutely love DGD and have been blown away by every album since DBM2, this one just didnt do it for me instantly. Hopefully it grows on me. 

• Love 1

On 4/20/2020 at 11:41 AM, Joseph said:

I think we all know who the real “scum” here is. Another fantastic album by a fantastic band. They deserve all the praise and success they have gotten. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Nothing Shameful might be my #1 favorite on this thing, so so good.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I really love latino music references. The mars volta vibes.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I love DGD but after my first listen to this tonight, I'm not really sold. It's very pedestrian and middle of the road DGD except for a few flashes here and there, and I can't say anything really jumped out and grabbed me except for the shock of hearing Tilian sing in Spanish. Kind of feels like the blandest parts of ArSe expanded into a full album if I'm being completely honest.

That said, I won't be listening to it again until the 320 drops. This feels like the kind of album that might grow on me a lot on a 2nd or 3rd listen, but I don't want to spoil those for myself by getting used to trash quality.

• Upvote 1

Solid album! Gonna have to listen a few times to decide where it sits in my list of top dgd albums. But they can't do no wrong! 

19 hours ago, DIMENSIONAUT IN 3D said:

and did they really say "nigga" at 2:59??? like why bro

You're offended by this word in 2020?

Grow up.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

I think this will end up slotting comfortably below Mothership, Instant Gratification and Acceptance Speech, when it comes to Tilian albums. I'm not sure if I will prefer it over Artificial Selection, but I think I might. 

Afterburner is a bit surprising in that it seems like none of us agree on the better songs. I feel like on ArSe and Mothership, there was a consensus on the better songs. I think Parallels and Say Hi are really solid, for instance, but Three Wishes doesn't do a ton for me.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, imu17 said:

Afterburner is a bit surprising in that it seems like none of us agree on the better songs. I feel like on ArSe and Mothership, there was a consensus on the better songs. I think Parallels and Say Hi are really solid, for instance, but Three Wishes doesn't do a ton for me.

Ehh, it's always very conflicting in regards to the non-singles, and sometimes even with the singles too.  Some guy on a recent DGD subreddit thread said ArSe's singles were the best songs on the album and the rest fell flat, which I wouldn't even remotely agree with.  But for me, Slouch is my favorite song from ArSe, and everyone was very quick to dismiss it as filler when it came out.  And on the other end, Chucky is probably my *least* favorite song on Mothership, whereas everyone else is obsessed with it.

And some songs just take time to grow on you, whether it's picking up on something you didn't hear the first hundred times, or something in your brain just making it click.  I didn't really care for Here Comes the Winner when Mothership came out, but it became one of my favorite DGD songs ever like a year or so later.

This is my first DGD album and I really like it. Highlights for me are: Nothing Shameful, Lyrics Lie, One In A Million, Prisoner, Born To Fail, and Strawberry's Wake

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3