Chief

Dance Gavin Dance - Afterburner (2020)

276 posts in this topic

I reeeeally wish "Head Hunter" and "Blood Wolf" would have made its way onto the album, as I'd really like to hear them again in album format, somehow. But it is what it is. Excited to give this a listen though before preorder gets here. Thanks! 

Other Releases by

Condensed album review.

Prisoner: First single released, imo I think the first song released should be the benchmark for the album to surpass. Shows enough, but leaves us wanting more. This is exactly what it did and it was great, a glimpse into Tilian screaming, some sick Jon parts and the amazing instrumentals as always. 8/10

Lyrics Lie: Tilian screaming, ayyy. They did something new, had a great back and forth between both singers and got Tilian screaming. Sadly no Jon cleans, but hey there's a possibility ;). Andrew Wells backing vocals and groovy riffs. Same song structure as Prisoner, so it kinda makes me feel like I'm listening to the same song, but I do love it. 8/10

Calentamiento Global: Starting off with some drum action? Big fan of Buffalo! here, I love it. Tilian is singing in Spanish, I don't understand a word he's saying. But hey, I don't understand Jon half the time unless I look up his lyrics. Very groovy and another experimental song. A little harder than the other songs so far, but nothing sticks out to me as much. 7/10

Three Wishes: Fucking sleeper hit of this album, my god. Groovy as fuck. Multiple stab wounds is not only great, but it isn't pointless filler like some people think. The song is about relationship struggles, I'm sure their "fallout" lead to some insults feeling like stab wounds. Be in love and you try it (please don't try it). Beautiful melodies and message. 10/10

One in a Million: The beginning reminds me of Variation. Off the bat R&B vibes? That's a way to get to my heart bro, come on. Okay, I'm saying Groovy more than the word the, but this album actually makes me want to dance. Giving me some Blood Wolf vibes too. Jon and Tilian singing together is always a bonus (hey variation again) Also, the ending is BEAUTIFUL. I will never say no to a bunch of Tilians singing in harmony. 9/10

Parody Catharsis: Tilian said this would be his favorite song to perform live off this album. Some Will Rap? Oh hell yeah baby, we got some more gr**vy instrumentals and R&B. This one is a bop, Jon coming in to introduce a faster pace while Tilian belts in the background. Yes please, gimme gimme. 9/10

Strawberry's Wake: As many have said, instant classic. And they're correct, the song is one of the very few optimistic songs from DGD's discography and I love everything about it. Perfect song to me. Also, Tim solo. 10/10

Born to Fail: Alright, after that great and positive song we got BORN TO FAIL. Sick. Heavy Jon parts for all those itching for some Mothership vibes. Getting some Awkward vibes, a lot of their other albums have kinda been sprinkled into all of these songs, I love it. But this song doesn't grab me as much, the instrumentals are killing it as usual, but I'm just not a fan of the chorus. Not a bad song whatsoever, but I'm not vibing with it as hard. 6/10.

Parallels: Maraca. I honestly, have nothing to say for this one. This one is just... okay. Nothing about it resonates with me, Jon's parts are great, Tilian's parts are good, but again, not vibin' with it. 5/10

Night Sway: That guitar man, Will steals the show in this one. Tilian killin' it with Jon piping in for some needed screams. Heat Seeking Ghost of Sex vibes when Jon is screaming and Will is just SHREDDING it. 8/10.

Say Hi: For those who wanted Secret Band ft Tilian, here it is. It is glorious, Jon is fucking insane in this. There's nothing to even say about his one, if you enjoy savage Jon with Tilian taking the backseat this time, please, PLEASE. 10/10

Nothing Shameful (feat. OUR BOY ANDREW WELLS): Starting off strong, chorus is great, I know Will likes when people can't tell if that's a guitar or not and goddamn is it working. Andrew is AMAZING. Coming in so soft after Jon is tearing it up, ramping up with emotion and Tilian, again, just AAAAA'ing it up.. Tilian and Jon singing together knowing I love Frozen One, Variation, Bloodsucker, etc. Just yes, this song is amazing. 10/10

Into the Sunset (feat. American Sweetheart Bilmuri): A slow ending song? Yes, I love a change of pace. It sounds like Bilmuri took a finished song and masterfully implemented himself into it. It works so well, I'm very glad they took this approach for his feature. His style is very apparent in this song. Yay, Will rap. Not a huge fan of the sound of "you're a cloud now". Ruins the flow for me. Otherwise, this song is a great ending to a very surprising album. It really changed their sound up and makes me excited for future albums. 9/10.

I personally love the change in sound, it adds to their monster of a discography. I'd rather them try new ways to reinvent themselves than to try and recreate DBM or some shit. Very happy with this release. I understand if people don't like it, but that doesn't make this album bad at all. People need to accept change more. Album is an 8/10 from me.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Joseph said:

dance gavin dance have been releasing the same shit every 2 years and you keep listening to it 

i'm not surprised they haven't bothered innovating 

this album could be 30 hours of will swan shitting in a bath tub and you'd call it AOTY

you're scum and you don't deserve any better 

Another top tier comment from a useless sadboi. Thanks for participating.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Can I realistically expect 320 any time soon or should I just cop it and listen to the 128?

20 minutes ago, Nickexp said:

Can I realistically expect 320 any time soon or should I just cop it and listen to the 128?

Thursday at the earliest for 320.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ShadowChao94 said:

Wouldn’t be a trend if people didn’t think it was good.

I don't agree with Captain CAPS lock over here but basing something off of "what people think" is a null point.

Especially when there are people who think artists like Ed Sheeran,Lizzo, Cardi B, and the other average same 3 track artists you hear on public radio are God's gift to music and think Billie Eillish is "deep". But that's all opinions and everyone is entitled to their own.

If they like heartless uninspired tracks that will cycle top radio charts, good for them. Does that mean their opinion on that music being "deep" or "quality" is valid? That's up to everyone else.

What people think is subjective. And the majority are idiots with hive mind interests and tastes.

That being said, this album is diverse while not drifting too far off for DGD. It grooves, it bangs. My only grievance is I was holding out for a Mess kicking in the door and going off like he has on atleast 1-2 tracks the past couple albums.

And with that long winded think-piece, I'm going back to lurking on KL because this sorta riff raff happens every hyped release. The snakes always start to sing.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Ohm said:

WORD

C36439C3-AB6A-4AFF-BB43-1F745C5A3433.jpeg

KL Users love riding DGD's dick.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I don't normally like DGD. Few singles here and there. But this is pretty cool. The screamer is much more defined in this release and i really enjoy this change up.

Tillian is the same as the last few records, very impressive vocals. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Much more memorable than their last album, Props to the drummer for absolutely killing it.

• Love 1

Deadlights_-_Bathed_In_Venom_(Official_Music_Video).gif.7ce3a3ed3448ae83c213866ef79aa30e.gif

like i said before, people will like this, and there will be people who dont. Then there are people who like insulting those to like this just because its "cool". Just let people like what they like. This aint my AOTM (Thats gonna go to Trivium's new album), and is definitely not my AOTY, but i can tell there is effort. eh whatever, bullies will be bullies i suppose? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote 1

....PASS

just never really go into this band, maybe its because I dont really enjoy 'mathcore'.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You Make Me Wanna Forget 

59 minutes ago, SavageWraith said:

I don't agree with Captain CAPS lock over here but basing something off of "what people think" is a null point.

Especially when there are people who think artists like Ed Sheeran,Lizzo, Cardi B, and the other average same 3 track artists you hear on public radio are God's gift to music and think Billie Eillish is "deep". But that's all opinions and everyone is entitled to their own.

If they like heartless uninspired tracks that will cycle top radio charts, good for them. Does that mean their opinion on that music being "deep" or "quality" is valid? That's up to everyone else.

What people think is subjective. And the majority are idiots with hive mind interests and tastes.

That being said, this album is diverse while not drifting too far off for DGD. It grooves, it bangs. My only grievance is I was holding out for a Mess kicking in the door and going off like he has on atleast 1-2 tracks the past couple albums.

And with that long winded think-piece, I'm going back to lurking on KL because this sorta riff raff happens every hyped release. The snakes always start to sing.

I was just stating that a lot of people like DGD, which is why they’re such a big band.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ×KING×ReLLIK× said:

....PASS

just never really go into this band, maybe its because I dont really enjoy 'mathcore'.

You should check it out though, it isn't mathcore.  

• Upvote 3

hi gavin

Just gonna say it, while this is a great album, the new I Am Abomination is my AOTY so far. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, peperonikiller said:

Just gonna say it, while this is a great album, the new I Am Abomination is my AOTY so far. 

I had never heard them previously and just found them yesterday, and I love that album. They stole a bit of the hype fromm the DGD release for sure for me. I'm gonna have to wait and see if their release sticks as much as every DGD release has for me first.

4 minutes ago, Can'tComplain said:

I had never heard them previously and just found them yesterday, and I love that album. They stole a bit of the hype fromm the DGD release for sure for me. I'm gonna have to wait and see if their release sticks as much as every DGD release has for me first.

I mentioned it in their release thread, but the story makes the songs so much better...

Passion of the Heist II is a conceptual album that directly follows the story from the original Passion of the Heist. In the original EP you followed the story of a man being abducted by extraterrestrials and transformed into their leader only to lead an invasion against humanity. The album ended when the invasion began. 

This new album tells the story of the invasion from two distinct characters perspectives. Half of the songs are from the perspective of the character from the original EP (The Ultraterrestrial), and the other half of the songs are from a new characters perspective. This character is a desperate and broken man who vows to save humanity. 

5 hours ago, PARTYBEARS said:

all the bangers are on the last half for sure 

Don't have the official lyrics, but pretty sure  Born to Fail starts with Jon screaming "Only bangers from now on!" He meant it

9 hours ago, HotMommyTamale said:

lol every counterparts album sounds different. you cant listen to TCWCU then TDBHAH and not hear clear progression. their newest album stomps YNYA. dgd is boring to listen to but at least we have push over, secret band, and royal coda. tbh im just tired of tilians garbo lyrics and autotuned vox

Sad to see you're getting down-voted because I agree completely. Counterparts has evolved immensely since their first few albums and each album has a very unique soundscape to it, at least to my ear. 

To each their own though, I love dgd and cp. I will say I think DGDs progression as slowed in the last few albums, but I'm totally okay with that. It's certainly not stale, and nobody else is doing it as well (potential exceptions Hail the Sun and Eidola but they are much more serious so it doesn't seem in contention to me).

• Upvote 1

oh..ooohhhh....OOOOHHHH!!!! *eargasm*

"If you thought you knew it all
Don’t shift your view, you might slip and fall
A long way down and down this rabbit hole
If the tunnel runs any deeper
You might come out the other side of the world
Maybe upside down you’ll be able see this isn’t what it seems
We are far from free."

Northlane

Haters will say they never progress. I disagree, this is honestly my favorite by them since Happiness! I really want a Will Swan rap album tho lol

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, xcblackdiamond said:

says the counterparts fanboy xd

replace dgd with cp

will swan with Brendon

and you have the same post

Really wish this wasn't true lol. Though both bands are great, so if it ain't..broke... 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

hi gavin

Hi

12 hours ago, Joseph said:

dance gavin dance have been releasing the same shit every 2 years and you keep listening to it 

i'm not surprised they haven't bothered innovating 

this album could be 30 hours of will swan shitting in a bath tub and you'd call it AOTY

you're scum and you don't deserve any better 

You poor thing....

I Just want to give you a Capri Sun coupled with a sincere pat on the back before saying,

"Hey there little guy, ya' gave it your best, but, DANCE GAVIN DANCE IS LIT AF WIT DIS NEW ALBUM BRUH #DGD EATS LOTUS EATERS FAM 123LOOKATMESPAGHETTIBBQ11111!

*Coughs* (minus Corona virus tinged cough mind you)

Seriously, This Album exceeded everything I expected from DGD. I thought the last Album was, In my very humble opinion,.... OK. (Yeah, dude, I said it. It was just OK. No need to be upset)

Standout out Tracks: Parody Catharsis - Born To Fail - Nothing Shameful

I am a huge Emery Fan and many of these new tracks reminded me of the massive appreciation Emery has for Melody and harmony on their older albums. Dance Gavin Dance has the same thing; They know how to hook you with a super catchy melody or Harmony.

Unless Veil of Maya unleashes a "Molly whopper" of an album then this, hands down, is AOTY for me.

TLDR: Unclench thy buttocks and release thine bitterness before knowing that DGD has made a truly amazing record with this release. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

nice dooooood

Album definitely suprised me after not vibing with some of the singles, but i like this waaaay more that ArSe, feels more like a follow-up to Mothership than that did. Might be on my AOTY list, might not, already have quite a few contenders

Lol @ all the hate in the comments cause DGD made a DGD album 😂

This is in my contender list for AOTY. Picturesque's probably will be too.

It's got some decent bangers. I agree with whoever said Head Hunter and Blood Wolf should have been on here.

The Bilmuri feature was subpar, but I hope it gets more people to check out Johnny's stuff.

Thank you my dude!

• Upvote 1

"It's just noise"

13232.png