Chief

Dance Gavin Dance - Afterburner (2020)

276 posts in this topic

Snooze.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Other Releases by

I guess the only redeeming thing about this band is that they choose a very good artist for the album art.

other than that, I’ve take shits with more intricacy and nuance.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 26

OH SHIT, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY AND THIS COMES OUT! THANK YOU SO MUCH KL

• Upvote 1

Oh wow, Tilian sings the whole song in Spanish, thought it would just be a chorus lol

• Upvote 2

Amazing album, top songs for me Prisoner, Say Hi and Born to Fall!!!

50 minutes ago, CircaOwl said:

128kbps tho? Pass..

Ungrateful prick much 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

Thoughts going through the non singles.

These drums are tight. Spanish vocals Tilian is a thing I guess. Pronounciation is actually not bad, surprised.

What is this bass?

What is this bass x2?

Love the subtle will raps, the perfect dosage.

Loved the reused Tides of Man line on Born To Fail. (These lyrics are harsh, who they talkin bout?)

Parallels is ridiculously unique. Wild ending.

Night Sway has some nutty guitar & bass work.

Say Hi is brutal, that Jon weird vocal tick thingy is unsettling.

This is some sweet guitar work and vocals from Till and Mess, top tier DGD. Also, ANDREW WELLS IS A NATIONAL TREASURE PROTECT HIM. Potentially favorite song.

Bilmuri is gonna be a weird thing for people who aren't familiar with him to hear on a DGD record. I personally love it. Gimma dat 808 emo DGD. Not too into the Will Swan rap, not my thing. It's wacky though, which is very DGD. Love the vocals from Tilian on the outro, I feel like this and Nothing Shameful shoulda been switched on the album though. 

Overall it's very different for DGD, I like it a lot first listen (no surprise). Not gonna try and rate it yet though.

Edit: One big thing. I kinda wish they had a lil more of the tilly screams we got on the singles. If I hadnt heard them as the singles I would've been surprised to hear them, but I sorta was waiting for them and they never came.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 1

Alright finished one listen. 

Another great release for DGD as many of us expected. I'll need many more listens to really unveil everything I like and dislike, but initial reactions are as follows. Parallels ending might be my favorite moment on the record and I don't see many people mentioning it; it got the biggest physical reaction out of me at least. Other initial favorites were Prisoner of course, Parody, Born to Fail, Say Hi, Nothing Shameful. The second half came out stronger than the first it seems. Couple other things, I wish Jon played a biiit more of a role in the album overall but at least Secret Band LP2 still sounds as fresh as ever, and I think the lyrical content is just ever so slightly under par. Mothership is still the goat but we all expected that.

• Upvote 2

Never gelled with a new DGD album so quickly. Love it! good for a 128. 

I Am Abomination, now this? Master Leakers you spoil us

• Upvote 5

Every day is a summer vacation
Speed King.jpg

Speed King

Holy shiiiiit what  nice thing to wake up super late to.  Seems like just yesterday I was in here pounding off to the ArSe leak.  Also loooool @ people coming in here just to shit on the band.  NO INTRICACY OR NUANCE WHATSOEVER *adjusts monocle*  Can't wait to give this one a full listen.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Coma Witch said:

So many people love to hate DGD so much, it’s honestly hilarious to see how much effort they put into disliking a band. Also, as soon as you see any comments on this album saying “waaaaah all albums sound the same waaaaaah this sounds the same as their other stuff,” you know they didn’t actually listen to what we got this time around. 

Sure, you have some typical DGD songs on this album. Lyrics Lie, Three Wishes, Night Sway, One In A Million, etc. But, for the first time in a while, DGD actually took some left turns on this one. There was a LOT of stuff on here which really took me by surprise, which hasn’t happened at least since Instant Gratification. The most obvious is fucking Calentamiento Global, I mean seriously. On top of Tilian singing in fluent, well spoke Spanish, the song itself is a groovy, Latin style vibe that I’ve never heard from this band before. The other most obvious experimental moment on this album is it’s incredible closer, with Into The Sunset. Who the hell expected those emo rap style verses? I sure as hell didn’t. Even the more “normal” parts of the song, like the intro, have this dialed back serene sound to them, which feels new. Other songs are pretty different too, but in more subtle ways. Prisoner, Parody Catharsis, Strawberry’s Wake, Say Hi, and the absolutely stellar Nothing Shameful all had moments that really stood out as different to me. Overall, I think this is their best and most consistent album to date. ArSe grew stale pretty quick, and was a little bit of a let down after their previous best album Mothership. But this, this right here is absolute top quality DGD. There’s maybe one song on this whole album that I don’t really fuck with all that much (Parallels), where on other albums there has always been 3 or 4.

Probably a 95/100 for me. 

Favorite songs: Parody Catharsis, Nothing Shameful, Night Sway, Calentamiento Global

this pretty much mirrors my opinion, pretty much everything here is absolutely stellar and DGD really pulled out all the stops to keep us on our toes 

I even like Parallels quite a lot admtitedly, I don't think there's a single weak link on this thing

editor's note: tilian singing in spanish makes my dickie bounce

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

yeah epic

I don't understand why they are so hyped. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Downvote 1

tumblr_mb34zsMLZ51r74zpdo1_500.gif

Finally! All hail KL

After a listen and a half the band still continues to surprise when they actually want to. The album is extremely backloaded with the last 6 tracks being some of the consistently coolest DGD material. First half, especially the last three singles - not so great. Prisoner, Calentamiento Global (what a tune lol) are pretty fucking dope, but the rest of the first 7 songs are sort of average/weak, with maybe One In A Million and Parody Catharsis having something more interesting to offer here and there (like the Will Swan's bit in  Parody Catharsis), you see where I'm going with this? Prisoner was an incredible singles but the other three are so average and weak. Either way, I can see why an average KL user who listens to like 50 bands will think this is AOTY worthy, and if all 13 tracks were as good as the better half of it - I wouldn't mind.

• Upvote 5

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

3 minutes ago, desk said:

After a listen and a half the band still continues to surprise when they actually want to. The album is extremely backloaded with the last 6 tracks being some of the consistently coolest DGD material. First half, especially the last three singles - not so great. Prisoner, Calentamiento Global (what a tune lol) are pretty fucking dope, but the rest of the first 7 songs are sort of average/weak, with maybe One In A Million and Parody Catharsis having something more interesting to offer here and there (like the Will Swan's bit in  Parody Catharsis), you see where I'm going with this? Prisoner was an incredible singles but the other three are so average and weak. Either way, I can see why an average KL user who listens to like 50 bands will think this is AOTY worthy, and if all 13 tracks were as good as the better half of it - I wouldn't mind.

yo, the 50 bands I listen to are good okay :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Every day is a summer vacation
Speed King.jpg

Speed King

Def not on the hype train of these guys but Say Hi, Born to Fail, and Prisoner are not bad. Some cool shit on those songs. The rest im not sure wtf that is.

• Haha 1

So unbelievably excited for this. Now, to sit back and enjoy! 

*edit, Tilian singing in Spanish (I think) is crazy 😂

• Upvote 1

rsz_1tapestry1000x-pad750x1000f8f8f8u1.jpg

This is certainly a great album, blows ArSe out of the water, really wanna wait for high quality before deciding to place it somewhere in their discog in ranking. But as it stands, this could end up in my top 5 or 10 of the year, that being said, it isn't my number 1

9 minutes ago, desk said:

After a listen and a half the band still continues to surprise when they actually want to. The album is extremely backloaded with the last 6 tracks being some of the consistently coolest DGD material. First half, especially the last three singles - not so great. Prisoner, Calentamiento Global (what a tune lol) are pretty fucking dope, but the rest of the first 7 songs are sort of average/weak, with maybe One In A Million and Parody Catharsis having something more interesting to offer, you see where I'm going with this? Prisoner was an incredible singles but the other three are so average and weak. Either way, I can see why an average KL user who listens to like 50 bands will think this is AOTY worthy, and if all 13 tracks were as good as the better half of it - I wouldn't mind.

I listen to much more than that, but this will probably be my AOTY until something else releases. I just love everything these guys make in general, I can't not like a song by them with Tillian lol

There aren't many bands out there that make albums that I like 100% of, there's always a "meh" song in there. These guys are the exception for me haha

• Upvote 1

Serious question?  Founding member/guitarist Will Swan has his own label, Blue Swan Records, with a bunch of post hardcore bands in the same vein with a lot of interchanging members/guest members in different bands.  It is referred to as Swancore.

• Upvote 2

This is great. I'd still put ArSe and Mothership above this personally, but man they still delivered as I expected they would. Favorites are Parody Catharsis, Nothing Shameful (Andrew's verse is just what I needed), One In a Million, Strawberry's Wake, and Born to Fail. Also Calentamiento Global really threw me for a loop, they continue to surprise me. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Andydobson12 said:

What is Swancore? 🤔😅

A sub-genre of post-hardcore music that incorporates elements of math-rock, progressive-rock, and post-rock and high-pitched and/or scream vocals. Bands that fall under this category are usually, but not always, signed to Blue Swan Records. Hence, the name "swancore".

Some examples of swancore bands are:

Dance Gavin Dance 
Hail the Sun 
Stolas 
Oranges

Hey what's your favorite swancore band?

Hail the Sun is my favorite swancore band.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Joseph said:

dance gavin dance have been releasing the same shit every 2 years and you keep listening to it 

i'm not surprised they haven't bothered innovating 

this album could be 30 hours of will swan shitting in a bath tub and you'd call it AOTY

you're scum and you don't deserve any better 

dgd is ass now

• Downvote 14

Damn, pretty great after a first listen.  Preliminary favorite for now is Nothing Shameful.  Really need the 320 and a good month or two of non-stop listening to form a full opinion, but here's what I think after one full listen and listening to the non-singles a second time...

Pros:

- Tilian and Jon are both at their peak here.  Jon especially is incorporating more of his "pitch screaming" style from Secret Band, and it works great with DGD's style.

- Songs encompass a lot of different styles from their past albums.  There was stuff that sounded like it could've come from self-titled, DBM2, Acceptance Speech, Mothership, etc.

- Also a lot of new styles and experimentation.  Prisoner, Calentamiento Global, and Parallels are probably the most unique songs on the album.

- The album flows and feels MUCH more coherent than Artificial Selection.  It doesn't just sound like a bunch of singles shoved onto an album without any kind of overarching sound linking them or whatever.

- To go along with the above point, the album has a fun, summer-y vibe, but also a kind of moody vibe at the same time.  It's like if you went on vacation, but got rained out for half of it (Don't mean that in a bad way either).

Cons:

- Into the Sunset is one of their weakest closers IMO.  It's an okay song, but it's not even remotely as grand as Evaporate, Man of the Year, Turn off the Lights pt. 2, and so on.  Bilmuri's part also feels very forced, like it's cut to really abruptly and just sounds like an excerpt from a Bilmuri song, and then the song goes back to DGD.

- Some songs are kind of filler-y, namely Three Wishes, Parody Catharsis, and Night Sway.  Not that they're bad songs, but they don't really add to the album IMO.  Of course, this is subjective, and people said the same thing about songs on ArSe, like Slouch (Which was my personal favorite song from it).  Who knows, in a month or so, my opinions might completely shift on them.

- It's not longer?  Not really an actual complaint, but I was kind of hoping it'd be 15 songs after ArSe's 14, and from them saying they recorded 15 songs in an interview a few months ago.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, xcblackdiamond said:

says the counterparts fanboy xd

replace dgd with cp

will swan with Brendon

and you have the same post

lol every counterparts album sounds different. you cant listen to TCWCU then TDBHAH and not hear clear progression. their newest album stomps YNYA. dgd is boring to listen to but at least we have push over, secret band, and royal coda. tbh im just tired of tilians garbo lyrics and autotuned vox

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

5 minutes ago, Coma Witch said:

A sub-genre of post-hardcore music that incorporates elements of math-rock, progressive-rock, and post-rock and high-pitched and/or scream vocals. Bands that fall under this category are usually, but not always, signed to Blue Swan Records. Hence, the name "swancore".

Some examples of swancore bands are:

Dance Gavin Dance 
Hail the Sun 
Stolas 
Oranges

Hey what's your favorite swancore band?

Hail the Sun is my favorite swancore band.

Thank you so much for the information 🙏 mine is probably hail the sun as well but do I do love a bit of dance gavin dance