Summers

Katatonia - City Burials (2020)

45 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Spectromeda said:

 

I feel the same. Been waiting with great excitement ever since it was announced. Turns out it's one of my least favorite Katatonia albums to date. I also don't care much for Night is the New Day or Dead End Kings & this album is most similar to those two. I thought Fall of Hearts was a masterpiece, but this one kinda puts me to sleep.

 

Heart Set to Divide, Behind the Blood, Rein, Flicker, and Neon Epitaph are the keepers for me. The other 6 tracks are just kinda bland imo. At least I know one of the two bonus tracks will be a banger. Fighters, which is a cover of an Enter the Hunt song. Hopefully Closing Of the Sky isn't another mellow one as there's already too many of those here. It was originally to be a Jonas solo album and I think it shows.

 

Here's the original version of Fighters. Can't wait to hear Katataonia's cover:

 

https://youtu.be/_Mv8bZRCFWM

Yeah, I think they set the bar to high with The Great Cold Distance, for my that's my favorite album, also that album as aged like a wine.

 

For me this album is a 7/10, Heart set to Divide, The Winter of our Passing, Vanishers, Flicker (probably the best song of the album and reminds me to much to The contortionist) and Untrodden are me favs.

Share this post


Link to post

Other Releases by

No 320 yet?

Share this post


Link to post

320 added!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

If anyone can get a hold of the bonus song closing the sky that would be awesome 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

FLAC added!

Share this post


Link to post

Could someone please share the bonus track "closing of the sky' ? I have been looking everywhere, couldn't find it, appreciated.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Finding the first half stronger than the second half on first listen. Like anything Katatonia has made after Night Is The New Day, this is going to take time to dissect everything about it. But I can definitely say it's a great album. By far, the most diverse album they've made in their career, I really like the variety it offers. And I'll admit, I think a strong point about this album is that it's 52~ minutes, so it doesn't overstay its welcome. As much as I really like The Fall Of Hearts, making it over 70 minutes with the bonus track included is just a bit too long for its own good for a Katatonia album.

 

And to everyone that wants the bonus track, it will appear soon enough, as bonus tracks from Katatonia albums always make their way onto the Internet sooner or later. However, you're probably better off using Google or, if you know them, the Metal sharing websites.


The purest, non-conformist jaded subhuman terrorist.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Edgekrvzher said:

As much as I really like The Fall Of Hearts, making it over 70 minutes with the bonus track included is just a bit too long for its own good for a Katatonia album.

 

I personally don't ever include bonus tracks when listening to albums as a whole because I kinda feel they weren't meant to be included as a part of the album experience. I have an entire folder full of Katatonia "non-album" tracks that makes for a good shuffle play. FoH is still 67 minutes without the bonus tracks but it never gets tired or too long for me.

 

Anyway, glad you enjoy the new one. It's a bit of a disappointment for me but The Fall of Hearts is in my top three Katatonia albums. First place depending on the day/mood. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Bonus tracks versions up 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Spectromeda said:

 

I personally don't ever include bonus tracks when listening to albums as a whole because I kinda feel they weren't meant to be included as a part of the album experience. I have an entire folder full of Katatonia "non-album" tracks that makes for a good shuffle play. FoH is still 67 minutes without the bonus tracks but it never gets tired or too long for me.

 

Anyway, glad you enjoy the new one. It's a bit of a disappointment for me but The Fall of Hearts is in my top three Katatonia albums. First place depending on the day/mood. :)

Katatonia are one of the only bands that I LOVE their b-sides and bonus tracks, even some as much as regular album tracks. For Katatonia, I don't mind having them at the end of albums, even though, for most other bands, I prefer to have just the album the way it's intended. For The Fall Of Hearts, which is just being the Swedish track on my version, I don't mind it being added on to the end. Matter of fact, I love the song.

 

And yeah, ever since The Great Cold Distance, a lot of people seem to be disappointed with a new Katatonia album every cycle. It's fine with me, but I do like seeing with some that it grows on them. The last few albums have been growers for me, with all of the moody, slow burner songs.

 

Brave Murder Day, Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Viva Emptiness will always be my top three Katatonia albums, Viva Emptiness being #1. All three albums are brilliant, some of my favorite albums ever and easily 10/10 all around.


The purest, non-conformist jaded subhuman terrorist.

Share this post


Link to post

@Summers  you are the man. Heaps of thanks to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Edgekrvzher said:

 

For yourself and anyone else who may be interested, they are having a live streaming show on May 9th. I am uncertain of the site it will be on, but I'm sure their Facebook or other places will have that info soon.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, David_Chozet said:

Yeah, I think they set the bar to high with The Great Cold Distance, for my that's my favorite album, also that album as aged like a wine.

 

I totally agree man. I should have known what we were getting after hearing 'Lacquer'. I love this band, I really do. But anything after 'Night is the New Day' is just not doing it for me. I cannot stand how mellow and soft their albums have turned. Since 'Dead End Kings' they've had those 1 or 2 tracks that take me back. 'Behind the Blood' is the latest, and probably the only track I enjoy here.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, stevenlaw013 said:

 

I totally agree man. I should have known what we were getting after hearing 'Lacquer'. I love this band, I really do. But anything after 'Night is the New Day' is just not doing it for me. I cannot stand how mellow and soft their albums have turned. Since 'Dead End Kings' they've had those 1 or 2 tracks that take me back. 'Behind the Blood' is the latest, and probably the only track I enjoy here.

 

I think you should really give TFoH another listen. It's nowhere near as mellow as the majority of either Dead End Kings or City Burials. It's actually FULL of those "take me back" moments & is every bit as "heavy" as The Great Cold Distance.

Share this post


Link to post

@Spectromeda Maybe with time.. but I've listened through 3 times already and not enjoying it start to finish. But that's okay. They've given us a huge library of music since 'Jhva Elohim Meth' and their sound has to evolve. I'm not upset or disappointed at all. 2 good tracks on this latest album is better than 0.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Copyright © 2013-2020 Kingdom Leaks.