Summers

Enter Shikari - Nothing is True & Everything is Possible (+Instrumentals) (2020)

97 posts in this topic

This, for me, has the best soft Shikari tracks of all their albums. I think they work way better than on The Spark. Highlights for me are when stuff gets weirder or classic Shikari, though -

- The Great Unknown 

- Waltzing off the Face of the Earth I

- T.I.N.A.

- Elegy for Extinction 

- Marionettes I

- Marionettes II

- The King 

Mindsweep is still my favourite album by them, followed by this with AFFOC a close third - I'm not keen on the signature sound of Search Party, Warm Smiles and Pack of Thieves, on that one. 

Other Releases by

The production on this album is insane. Superb quality. Love the composition on Elegy for Extinction. It's not a very "heavy" album (not that I was expecting it to be) but it has way more energy than The Spark.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

johnny booth.gif

All the full Shikari-esque songs on this album are fantastic. I just wish there were a few more full on songs and less of the instrumental/interludey type stuff. I also feel like the closing track could've been a bit better.

Would have loved a few more songs like T.I.N.A or Dreamer's Hotel.

• Upvote 1

After a few listens I’m glad to announce to everyone that Satellites is a banger 

• Upvote 2

Crossing The Rubicon and "modern living...." are quite possibly the worst songs Enter Shikari have ever made.  On the other hand, "the pressure's on." and "satellites* *" are VERY great, fun songs.

The Dreamer's Hotel, The King, and T.I.N.A. were all fantastic singles, and still hold up pretty well now compared to the rest of the album.  THE GREAT UNKNOWN wasn't really as good as the other singles to me, but it works good as an opener at least.

Marionettes I and II are decent, middle-of-the-road songs, and I don't have anything else to say about them.  For being the longest song on the album, Elegy For Extinction is a pretty generic instrumental that doesn't really feel like it belongs.  Waltzing Off the Face of the Earth (I. Crescendo) just feels weird and lacks substance aside from a jarring instrumental.  II. Piangevole is nice, but again it just doesn't have any substance IMO, and is pretty lackluster for a closer.

Overall, the album is kind of disappointing and not really what I expected after the singles we got.  For reference, I LOVED The Spark (Or at least most of it), so it's not about it not being heavy by any means.  The bad songs are just *really* bad, and IMO, the only songs that really stand out compared to the rest of their discography are The Dreamer's Hotel and Satellites (Which are both very good at least).

I wasn't sure how I felt about it outside of the singles as I was going through it... Then I got to Marionettes 1 which made me smile, after that, Marionettes 2 hit and holy fuck. 

I need more time with it to form a complete opinion. Some incredible stuff here though. 

As someone who was extremely hyped for this, this ain't it chief. I'm very disappointed

There's a lot of filler here, too much I think. Unnecessary instrumentals, unnecessary tracks, like the theme in A minor.

And the non singles are either, really good, or really bad?

Idk. Feeling a pretty heavy 6/10 here. Shame.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

Fuck, this absolutely rules. It’s like the sound of The Spark (which I really enjoyed), combined with the best of their past work. Very, very impressed so far.

• Love 3

Just now, TylerDurden said:

Fuck, this absolutely rules. It’s like the sound of The Spark (which I really enjoyed), combined with the best of their past work. Very, very impressed so far.

Exactly how I feel about this! It's the Spark, shikarified. 

• Love 1
  • Confused 1

Absolutely love this. Gotta disagree with criticism of Crossing the Rubicon (that song gave me actual chills) and Modern Living. 

TINA is still the best song on here but Satellites is probably the best track outside of the ace singles.

• Upvote 2

Shikari, my favorite band of all time, putting out songs with 1975 and Hellions vibes (two of my other favorite bands) is just fucking prime. what an album. some serious wubs on this thing and Rou produced em perfectly. these songs are gonna go off live, but it's Shikari so of course they are.

cool to see Dan Weller back in the credits (not that I dislike Kosten's work though). overall, the sounds on this album are what really make it for me; a real treat for music nerds.

• Upvote 1

i am a pure juicer kingdom leaks user

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Shikari, my favorite band of all time, putting out songs with 1975 and Hellions vibes (two of my other favorite bands) is just fucking prime. what an album. some serious wubs on this thing and Rou produced em perfectly. these songs are gonna go off live, but it's Shikari so of course they are

Btw your pfp still disturbs me when I'm too tired and I still have no idea why 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Shikari, my favorite band of all time, putting out songs with 1975 and Hellions vibes (two of my other favorite bands) is just fucking prime. what an album. some serious wubs on this thing and Rou produced em perfectly. these songs are gonna go off live, but it's Shikari so of course they are

The Waltz sounds like something off of Rue, right? I loved Hellions last two albums. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, lsl said:

The Waltz sounds like something off of Rue, right? I loved Hellions last two albums. 

exactly that. it sounds like all the Ringmaster stuff on Rue (also an insanely special album that is woefully underappreciated).

• Love 1

The most frustrating undeveloped part of a song is the "How can you never be nervous..." part of Modern Living.. such a nasty little section that should have followed through to the whole song.

'Extinction' makes you wonder if you are listening to something like the famous Tool album, where changing the order of the songs gave the album another meaning...

fucking hell the uk garage/trance influence on this record is nuts. Marionettes I & II are gonna be mental at Ally Pally. yeet

• Upvote 2

This is a lot more experimental than I expected it to be, so it'll probably take a few listens for me to come to a decision on how I feel about it. The shifts in sound are rather jarring and the album certainly goes all over the place, thus making it an interesting listen. BMTH were able to pull off a rather eclectic album with amo so it's definitely possible to make a record that moves from genre to genre, but initially I think it's a bit too eclectic and lacks coherence as a whole. Definitely better than The Spark on first listen, but not sure how much better.

• Upvote 1

apocaholics is so fuckin filthy I love it, reminds me of Havoc A and B from Common Dreads. 

• Upvote 4

WTF when will I heard in 2020 true aggressive\rage\powerful album but not that metal\death or other -core genres? Pretty sure I will be downvoted cause, but no cares - I am super tired of another "nice and chilly music to listen to". At least I was hoped for atmospherical powerful things but...meh

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Wow this gets to be aoty for a whole week

• Haha 1

20200902_221303.jpg

How many songs are instrumentals? Like 8? Listened to a few and was like where’s the energy from the singles?! Probably just tripping and will have to give it a few more listens.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not overly crazy on it on first listen, but I know it's gonna grow on me a lot.

I also don't get the hate for The Spark at all. Easily my second favourite by them after AFFOC.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Shawn sin said:

I feel like there is no underlying theme. The songs work on there own but not together 

If this is true then it's really weird because Rou said they had almost 50 songs ready to record in the studio and they were choosing only those that fit into the album concept

Edited by Luke94
bad spelling
  • Upvote 1

Only Enter Shikari can create such a work of art which is all witty, fun, brilliant, and instrumentally epic. 

This is their best album made besides The Mindsweep. Haters dislike this because they can't accept the fact that the band members have matured and evolved their sound. 

The ratings on sputnik prove it anyways. Like it or not, this is real music. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

So I've been a huge Enter Shikari fan since 2006 and I love how every album has a different sound. I do like this album more than The Spark, but It's still missing that oomph. Too many interludes, I was expecting much more heavy electronics and I was hoping for heavy parts too, unfortunately, that fell flat. I'd probably give this album a 6.5/10. 

• Upvote 1

After first listen i can safely say this is one of the their best albums, and they have definitely pulled elements from all of them, but mostly common dreads, the spark, and mindsweeper

I don't see a problem with the amount of interludey songs all of them are very shikari, and  common dreads had 4 of them. this album structurally reminds me alot of common dreads.

Tracks:

1. Great Unknown: great track, sounds very mindsweeper

2. Crossing the Rubicon: i don't know why everyone is saying this is low energy, the beat is super bouncy and it's catchy. this might be the poppiest song ES has made

3. Dreamers Hotel: BANGER from day 1, still slaps.

4. Waltzing: I'm super confused as to why this isn't the first track?  says the title of the album and everything, and that the last song is part 2 of this song. Other than that, it has great build up, reminds me of system without the meltdown

5. modern living: on first listen, this might be my favorite, again pretty poppy, but that electronic bouncy bass beat is awesome

6. apocaholics: fun fun fun, very havoc a & b. sometimes you just gotta sit back and appreciate the weirdness of their sound.

7. pressure's on: this sounds like it came from the spark b-sides, still good very calm electro song.

8. reprise 3: Glad to see them bring back the line that started it all, really makes me think of how much of an influence common dreads was for this album.

9. T.I.N.A: one of my favs, banger from day one, this one will be fun live. i can imagine the mosh dance pit

10. Elergy: nice dip into their own form of experimentation. Definitely sounds like they did an ok job recreating their sound using classical

11. Marionettes 1: good intro track, another fun beat, they could've combined this with Marionette 2 and no one would have noticed

12. Marionettes 2: pretty much just continues pt 1 but has more umph.

13. satellites: Great track, the most mindsweeper track, just a solid electronic rock song.

14. The king: very very close to being my fav on the album. Enter shikari have such a way with interpreting heaviness with their electronics and this song showcases that perfectly. the beat at the beginning and the end goes so hard, and the verse electronics are so jarring behind rous voice. Great track

15. Waltzing pt.2: simple closer, nothing too crazy or tame, honestly underwhelming.

OVerall pretty good album, going  to give it a few more listens to solidify opinion, but definitely in the upper tier of ES albums.

favs: Great Unknown, Rubicon, Dreamers, modern living, marionettes 2, the king, T.I.N.A

least favs: Waltzing, pressure's on, Elergy

rating: 8/10

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Kinda skipped The Spark after hearing Stay Outside but damn halfway through this I can definitely say it's their most ambitious project. 

• Upvote 1

jpUJCRq.gif

The bad reviews must be from people that expected them to return to their old sound or something cause I think it’s absolutely incredible, not to mention most Shikari albums are growers, but I think it’s really diverse and encompassing and takes you through all the emotions. It’s very much a journey of a listen. Can’t say it will be their best but it’s right at the top of their best material ever. Possibly second to AFFOC for me or on par with the Mindsweep 

• Upvote 2