mR12

Spotify/Apple Music/Streaming Weekly New Release Playlists

Would you be interested in us putting together weekly Spotify/Apple Music new release playlists for the most popular genres on KL?  

431 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in us putting together weekly Spotify/Apple Music new release playlists for the most popular genres on KL?

95 posts in this topic

I’m 100% down for this! I’m primarily on YouTube Music so that’s be best for me but I’d be open to Download Spotify specifically for these playlists!

Just started a new group on Facebook with a few friends that’s grown a bit already, and this would be PERFECT for helping to promote new music to members there as well! 

4 hours ago, peripheryb said:

Since I found most of the music I like here, thats sounds fantastic, I think you have to split into  7  main categories, like:

- Pop/ EDM

- Alternative rock/metal.

-Core music.

- Progressive rock/metal/djent.

- Post rock/metal.

-Death/black metal.

-Hip hop/Trap/R&B

These different categories are perfect imo

• Upvote 1

Going to be a lot pedantic here, but lumping metal and post rock together makes me all sorts of twitchy. Post Rock/Sludge/Doom/Post Metal (the slower end of the spectrum) would be a better fit. Whereas Death/Black/Thrash/Noise would encompass the faster side of things. I know it's harder to lump bands into either side of things, but seeing something like Sabaton mixed in with post rock makes me rage.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, moonlover said:

Going to be a lot pedantic here, but lumping metal and post rock together makes me all sorts of twitchy. Post Rock/Sludge/Doom/Post Metal (the slower end of the spectrum) would be a better fit. Whereas Death/Black/Thrash/Noise would encompass the faster side of things. I know it's harder to lump bands into either side of things, but seeing something like Sabaton mixed in with post rock makes me rage.

It seems to be "post rock / post metal" to me and not just metal as you took it, because that makes zero sense to anyone.  Just a way to omit use of another 'post' to avoid redundancy. 

• Upvote 2

I really like getting in to work on Friday and putting on the Release Radar playlist - whilst most of it is quite rubbish from Spotify, there's some great new tracks. You guys would take that one step better and really drill down on getting some fun new music.

• Upvote 1

Awesome idea. Would be a better version of spotifys new release fridays. I'd definitely be into this. Esp any playlists that have post-hardcore & pop-punk.

• Upvote 1

Brilliant! I'll never pass on an opportunity to listen to new music. 

I think I can speak for the whole site and say

yes please want GIF by Jonas

• Upvote 1

PSP JEsus.gif

great idea, I'll waiting for playlist on Spotify :)

I love the idea, especially for Spotify. What I would love is that whoever is curating that playlist would start making it (assuming they have the time and are willing to even start creating it a few hours or more into leakday) from an account that's either european or even further east of the hemisphere (preferably NZ/Australia) so if you wanna check out what new relevant music dropped as someone who lives in Australia/asia/europe you don't have to wait for someone living in the US without VPN to create the playlist after midnight hits the states.

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

Questa è davvero una bella proposta, sarò molto felice se sarà condivisa da tutti i membri ... sei fantastico! Benaluan

Tbh I go ahead and make spotify playlists based on all the new releases on here each week anyway, so if you could just do that instead would be super haha.

Sounds like an awesome idea!

I'd by the way really appreciate this for YouTube Music to happen, too - it's the only streaming platform I use, since it's also capable of playing stuff stored on the device, e.g. bandcamp-downloads.

• Upvote 1

That would be so freaking nice !! Especially the playlists on spotify !! 

Would be a great idea to discover new bands :) 

as long as it/they remain well curated and maintained, its a great concept. one of my favorite labels does this and its turned me on to literally dozens of new-to-me bands.

Fantastic idea!

~Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today~

-Jordan Peterson

I like this idea alot. I like that we have a youtube video to get a general idea. But having a playlist sounds great

A cool thing would be one Curator playlist who can consist of a choice of 30 tracks choosen by people who work at KL (each member chose one or two songs that has been out this week, I don't know how many you are).
And you can add 10 "discver" tracks that are submited to you from the artist directly.

Or maybe one Curator playlist and one discover.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

This would be incredibly helpful!  I, already, every Friday come here and use the calendar to add music to my Spotify playlists.  I have a monthly release playlist and then an albums of the year playlist and that curate over the course of the year.  Having a playlist that I simply look at on Spotify to, then, dump into my own playlists would be awesome.  However, I believe it would severely reduce my likelihood to visit the site.

Yes! Used to find bands from this same idea from "alexrainbirdMusic"

Great idea, would listen and can confirm it wouldn't be a waste of time.

9 hours ago, moonlover said:

I forgot about thrash to be honest haha, but the categorie Post rock/metal it meant  to be post rock/post metal, not metal in general, may be a categorie that goes heavy metal/thrash/power will be a perfect fit for them, and also agree with you about going post rock/sludge /doom/post metal, but I didnt want too thorough on genre tags. 

yes, Apple Music team here!

7 hours ago, desk said:

I love the idea, especially for Spotify. What I would love is that whoever is curating that playlist would start making it (assuming they have the time and are willing to even start creating it a few hours or more into leakday) from an account that's either european or even further east of the hemisphere (preferably NZ/Australia) so if you wanna check out what new relevant music dropped as someone who lives in Australia/asia/europe you don't have to wait for someone living in the US without VPN to create the playlist after midnight hits the states.

Great thought. I was thinking this as well. As the majority of our users are in the States, we would need to make sure that people know that they won't be able to see the tracks until their local time. The particular Spotify setting that's important to have switched on in this case is "Show unavailable tracks", otherwise most people will see a blank playlist on Thursdays. Additionally, the playlists will probably be created in Spotify and then converted to Apple Music/YouTube music. That would mean we'd have to have NZ accounts there as well, which we currently do not have. So it may end up being Fridays midnight EST. We'll see. Either way, having Spotify NZ would help curators get a jump start on creating.

3 hours ago, EmoXXXKid said:

However, I believe it would severely reduce my likelihood to visit the site.

Thanks for being honest. We're looking into that as well. What motivates us the most, though, apart from wanting a good community, is to offer a great discovery system. At the end of the day, we're here for the music, so that's our top priority, regardless. Plus, I like to think that you visiting our streaming playlists is an extension of visiting us here on KL! Although we hope you'd comment your thoughts on posts here as well.

4 hours ago, boudoudou8 said:

A cool thing would be one Curator playlist who can consist of a choice of 30 tracks choosen by people who work at KL (each member chose one or two songs that has been out this week, I don't know how many you are).
And you can add 10 "discver" tracks that are submited to you from the artist directly.

Or maybe one Curator playlist and one discover.

Cheers!

Good idea. The staff picks playlist idea is something we'd probably integrate further down the line after we shoot out the main per-genre playlists.

11 hours ago, moonlover said:

I get what you're saying here, and this is definitely gonna be the biggest thing to figure out. If we're going to have a team of playlists creators, they'd have to be knowledgeable enough. Plus they'd have to be able to curate the playlist in less than 24 hours, which is a pretty quick turnaround. Finding reliable people is harder than it sounds.

FEATURED ALBUM • THE COLOURIST // SELF-TITLED • Indie Rock
DOWNLOAD