mR12

The Weeknd - After Hours (Deluxe) (2020)

60 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

TIME TO CRY LADS.

• Sad 1

jpUJCRq.gif

Aww yes, the good good.

596608895_na2020newkl.png.cf55878107374737a11284053516e96b.png

FLAC added!

2 minutes ago, TomoLust said:

Ok ok fuck, what's the point of even censoring a Weeknd album lmfao he should have never gone mainstream, his music still fye tho

It shouldn't be censored?

• Haha 1

FEATURED ALBUM • THE COLOURIST // SELF-TITLED • Indie Rock
DOWNLOAD

Thanks for the FLAC 

• Love 1

Thanks! I am really looking forward to the 1st listen. Love The Weeknd.

Wow....just wow. This album hits some insane levels that you'd never expect from a mainstream artist like The Weeknd. The production and synths are pitch perfect. This is a perfect definition of a vibe

AOTY CONTENDER 

Fav: Hardest to Love, Alone Again, Save Your Tears, Singles, Faith, Scared to Live

Least Fav: In Your Eyes, Until I Bleed Out (still great tracks but lower replay value)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Great album, didn’t disappoint 

rsz_1tapestry1000x-pad750x1000f8f8f8u1.jpg

great record.

fav tracks: blinding lights, faith, escape from LA, Hardest To love, alone again.

This is my favorite Michael Jackson record from The Weeknd :lol:

• Haha 4

Every day is a summer vacation
Speed King.jpg

Abel saves the world again. 

• Haha 4

Holy fuck, the album takes like 4 songs (not Alone Again) to start pumping but after that it's banger after banger and his most consistently great music since the trilogy. I'm amazed at how much I enjoy everything starting with Snowblind/Escape From LA. The production, the synths, the general vibe of nearly every track here is just so smooth and incredible. I also DEFINITELY did not expect for this to feel so cohesive in sound, Starboy had some incredible bangers but it was such a fucking mess it's crazy.

He could've made the initial tracks buzz a bit more or just straight up cut some of them out for arguably his best release yet..?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

only 2 songs in and i already know its gonna be my aoty, I've been so looking forward to this

1218015982_KLSigsmaller.jpg.ab4a9f73146d9c51a558272ed55040eb.jpg

love this beautiful bloody thing:cry:

I do enjoy the coherent sound design compared to Starboy, and there definitely are bangers on this, but I prefer Abel on darker and moodier beats (Trilogy, Kissland).

Great album, clearly better than his last filler filled two albums (which still have incredible highlights). 

In Your Eyes is one of the catchiest songs I've heard this year.

• Upvote 2

RnmmCRF.gif

Looking forward to the one. thanks

I am so ready to listen to this! Thank you very much <3

A pretty enjoyable album. Not my usual genre but I liked this a lot. I would like to get into more stuff like this so if anyone has similar recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

20200902_221303.jpg

As someone who became a fan in 2012 with Trilogy, I'm totally in love with this. This absolutely is his most cohesive project since then... there's still more "pop" moments but everything feels like it has a purpose as part of the larger aesthetic, as opposed to BBTM and Starboy which felt much more like collections of individual hits without a strong cohesive identity. This is without a doubt his best project since Trilogy, and I'm so glad he's gotten to this point.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, neebnoob18 said:

A pretty enjoyable album. Not my usual genre but I liked this a lot. I would like to get into more stuff like this so if anyone has similar recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

If you're into the darker R&B moments on this album, I'd strongly recommend Trilogy, which is a compilation of his three mixtapes from 2011 which got him his initial popularity: House of Balloons, Thursday, and Echoes of Silence. It's three albums basically, so take your time with it lol... most fans still consider those releases his peak. If you're into them, I can recommend you some similar artists!

• Upvote 1

The production is on a whole other level 😱😱 and ive always preferred sad and horny weeknd over starboy weeknd. Both are great but nothing tops this

The cover art is unsettling lol 

37 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

If you're into the darker R&B moments on this album, I'd strongly recommend Trilogy, which is a compilation of his three mixtapes from 2011 which got him his initial popularity: House of Balloons, Thursday, and Echoes of Silence. It's three albums basically, so take your time with it lol... most fans still consider those releases his peak. If you're into them, I can recommend you some similar artists!

I'd recommend not Trilogy, but the original versions of the mixtapes themselves which have some pretty noticeable differences that Trilogy kind of ruins. The mixing, for one, on Trilogy, takes away a lot of the grit and pushes Abel's voice to the front of the mix which immediately takes away from the hazy atmosphere of every song. There's also a lot of unlicensed samples that got taken out of House Of Balloons. I'd say listen to each mixtape individually (they're still all officially available for free on DatPiff) because they're all superior to the Trilogy versions, save for the song Gone which has a much better sounding bass on Trilogy.

Kiss Land still the best thing this man has ever done and these die-hard fans won't admit that for another good few years.

• Upvote 1

Edit: Damn, how are all of y'all using the word "coherent" and "consistent", like do y'all know what those mean? There is nothing "coherent" or "consistent" about jumping around four different styles over the course of 14 songs. "Most consistent since Trilogy". Like damn, y'all really ain't gon realize Kiss Land is his most actually thematically consistent album for another few years then, huh? Trilogy ain't an album, sweaty. It's 3, and they're inferior versions of their original selves so long as you got the Trilogy versions.

Yeah, this is definitely a let-down. I feel like he purposely fucked with us by dropping MDM and then Heartless and After Hours (the song) making us think he's back to his old ways, like that druggy dark thotty shit, and then we just get this really mid album. When Blinding Lights dropped after Heartless, I got a real bad feeling and it's unfortunately come true - this album is just Starboy 2 but without the visual consistency or the occasional dark grit of Starboy. Heartless and After Hours are the only good dark vibe songs. Even the album cover made it seem like we were getting another gritty project. I appreciate how Too Late and Hardest To Love respectively take some influence from UK garage and DnB, but then Scared To Live comes in and ruins what little vibe the first three songs establish with its shitty attempt at trying to be a boring radio ballad. This man was never meant to get superstar-level popular. It's mostly downhill from there save for Heartless and After Hours; the last song shows potential to be really good but then just ends super abruptly. I'm so fucking over 80s nostalgia-baiting synthpop sounding bullshit from literally everyone that isn't The Midnight and Carly Rae.

idk, I shit on Starboy a lot but there are still a good amount of songs from Starboy that I still revisit still to this day; I don't think I'll be revisiting more than those two good singles from this, my first four listens were so boring I don't even think I wanna listen to it again tbh, and I've been XOTWOD since 2013, man. I even go as far as controversially saying Kiss Land is the best album and that Beauty gets more hate than it deserves too, but this album is just...not hitting. I noticed a lot of people last night on Twitter saying like "haha can't wait to cry to this new Weeknd album" like what? Since when has The Weeknd ever been inherently sad music? Y'all sure you been listening to the right artist? I'm not trying to cry to The Weeknd on release night, I'm tryna get high and be a mf thot. So much for that, thanks coronavirus.

Anyways, idk, it's...it's mostly mid. I'm just glad it's only 14 songs long, cause if we have another Starboy of like 20 songs and they were all this boring, I'd feel even worse. I don't foresee myself listening to this as much as I still listen to every single other album of his. 4/10.

Wake me up when he finishes up and drops those leaked Starboy Sessions demos, OVOXO, or Kiss Land 2.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, TomoLust said:

Yeah, this is definitely a let-down. I feel like he purposely fucked with us by dropping MDM and then Heartless and After Hours (the song) making us think he's back to his old ways, like that druggy dark thotty shit, and then we just get this really mid album. When Blinding Lights dropped after Heartless, I got a real bad feeling and it's unfortunately come true - this album is just Starboy 2 but without the visual consistency or the occasional dark grit of Starboy. Heartless and After Hours are the only good dark vibe songs. Even the album cover made it seem like we were getting another gritty project.

I can only agree with that. This album lacks any identity whatsoever, I don't get why it gets praised. Every release so far carried a certain vibe with it (except BBTM maybe), but this now is like a.. bland compilation. Yeah the production is suuuuper clean, but Abel doesn't work on suuuuper clean production. He just doesn't. Dark, moody, gritty. That's where he shines the most, thus Trilogy and Kiss Land still being his best imo. Starboy had neat cuts besides the forgettable trash. So does this. But man is it sad. 

• Upvote 2

You know though, thinking more about this, I think I found the real problem with this album; it would have been a better album with a better first impression if he cut out Heartless and After Hours, the two best songs on the whole thing, unfortunately. The problem is that Heartless was a tease of a song that made us think he was going to go dark and druggy and thotty again, and After Hours (the song) only enforced that feeling; even Blinding Lights had a little lo-fi grit to it despite being a pretty boring song otherwise. The rest of the album however is a much brighter vibe than those singles and they actually feel like they get in the way of the tracklist's vibe rather than help it despite being the best songs on the whole thing.

What he should have done was keep those two songs for a separate album; pull a Future or a Lil Uzi and drop a second album next Friday that sounds like those songs to appease both sides of his fanbase, rather than bloating down the tracklist with both (a la Starboy) or getting them in the way of the other vibe (like this album). The other big problem that contributed to this false perception was the album cover and album title. I feel a lot better listening to this album this afternoon than I did late last night, which is ironic as fuck considering the album title and the album cover.

All Abel had to do was take Heartless and After Hours off the tracklist, change the album title and the album cover, and this would be a pretty decent album about like healing and self-growth, but instead those two songs get in the way of that theme. This man really needs to turn those Starboy Sessions demos into real songs for a new project; talking tracks like I Wanna Feel You, Lonely Thoughts, Wanna Know A Secret, Quatre Neuf, How Will I Know, etc.. Those would have been fucking classics if he finished and released them. I was really hoping back in 2018 that those songs would have been on My Dear Melancholy or the rumored sequel to it.

• Upvote 1

Is it just me or 320 links are down?

2 minutes ago, Belekov said:

Is it just me or 320 links are down?

PTL isn't

Screen_Shot_2020-09-04_at_7.10.32_PM.png

4 hours ago, TomoLust said:

Edit: Damn, how are all of y'all using the word "coherent" and "consistent", like do y'all know what those mean? There is nothing "coherent" or "consistent" about jumping around four different styles over the course of 14 songs. "Most consistent since Trilogy". Like damn, y'all really ain't gon realize Kiss Land is his most actually thematically consistent album for another few years then, huh? Trilogy ain't an album, sweaty. It's 3, and they're inferior versions of their original selves so long as you got the Trilogy versions.

Yeah, this is definitely a let-down. I feel like he purposely fucked with us by dropping MDM and then Heartless and After Hours (the song) making us think he's back to his old ways, like that druggy dark thotty shit, and then we just get this really mid album. When Blinding Lights dropped after Heartless, I got a real bad feeling and it's unfortunately come true - this album is just Starboy 2 but without the visual consistency or the occasional dark grit of Starboy. Heartless and After Hours are the only good dark vibe songs. Even the album cover made it seem like we were getting another gritty project. I appreciate how Too Late and Hardest To Love respectively take some influence from UK garage and DnB, but then Scared To Live comes in and ruins what little vibe the first three songs establish with its shitty attempt at trying to be a boring radio ballad. This man was never meant to get superstar-level popular. It's mostly downhill from there save for Heartless and After Hours; the last song shows potential to be really good but then just ends super abruptly. I'm so fucking over 80s nostalgia-baiting synthpop sounding bullshit from literally everyone that isn't The Midnight and Carly Rae.

idk, I shit on Starboy a lot but there are still a good amount of songs from Starboy that I still revisit still to this day; I don't think I'll be revisiting more than those two good singles from this, my first four listens were so boring I don't even think I wanna listen to it again tbh, and I've been XOTWOD since 2013, man. I even go as far as controversially saying Kiss Land is the best album and that Beauty gets more hate than it deserves too, but this album is just...not hitting. I noticed a lot of people last night on Twitter saying like "haha can't wait to cry to this new Weeknd album" like what? Since when has The Weeknd ever been inherently sad music? Y'all sure you been listening to the right artist? I'm not trying to cry to The Weeknd on release night, I'm tryna get high and be a mf thot. So much for that, thanks coronavirus.

Anyways, idk, it's...it's mostly mid. I'm just glad it's only 14 songs long, cause if we have another Starboy of like 20 songs and they were all this boring, I'd feel even worse. I don't foresee myself listening to this as much as I still listen to every single other album of his. 4/10.

Wake me up when he finishes up and drops those leaked Starboy Sessions demos, OVOXO, or Kiss Land 2.

Different strokes my friend. Yes, to me this is his most cohesive and interesting release since the mixtapes (I also knew Trilogy wasn’t one album, I just used that name for it as shorthand, no need for the condescension as we’re clearly both fans).

Kiss Land’s high points to me are some of his best work, but personally I find it to be too bloated and meandering in places... it feels like a lesser version of the mixtapes imo, yes the concept ties it together but there’s too few great moments scattered over the runtime, and a lot that is pleasant enough but doesn’t leave much of an impact. It’s an interesting project, but I think After Hours was executed better. The mixtapes (or Trilogy, however you want to refer to them) remain his masterpieces to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1