Zephyr Sunrise

Ocean Grove - Flip Phone Fantasy (2020)

58 posts in this topic

I was immediately turned away by the rapping in the first song.. is that a staple for this band? I really enjoyed the instrumentals

Other Releases by

10 minutes ago, degausser said:

I was immediately turned away by the rapping in the first song.. is that a staple for this band? I really enjoyed the instrumentals

Usually a part of Nu Metal in general 🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, degausser said:

That's kinda. What nu metal is? 

• Confused 1

The whole album is great, they have yet to disappoint.

"Freaks" is such an incredible closer.

:jams:

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Dancing in the Dust said:

That's kinda. What nu metal is? 

maybe now, I always associated nu metal with bands like Korn, Slipknot, SOAD, Disturbed, Evanescence, Static X etc... and bands like limp Bizkit and Linkin Park were the exception.

but language changes, guess I missed it this time

Listened a few times through. Second half is a little too slow for me, but it's still good.

Album fucking slaps.

I actually love this album and may end up spinning it more than Invent Animate and Code Orange. Still pinning down favorites but I love every track till Baby Cobra, then Ask For Anthem is amazing too.

I didn't know what I was thinking, was kinda scared away by the album cover. I know, "don't judge a book by it's cover", but then I was like "right" and then just gave it a listen.

And you know? I'm happy I did that. It is a good experimental metal album. Considering I never listened to any album of them except this one, I'm impressed.

There's been a song I didn't quite like (Baby Cobra) and two other songs were just "solid", but the rest? Really good. 

Favs: Thousand Golden People, Guys From The Cord, Junkie$, Freaks

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

I watched you burning every bridge, then blame the smoke for your eyes burning.

Well, I was hoping for this to be an album full of fun nu metal bangers with great choruses, like the singles were.

Glad that thats exactly what I got. This album fucks. I dont care if its only 3 actual new songs

• Upvote 1

Unbenannt.PNG.608ad8c221b6dcec8081cab805b2cf99.PNG

safasf.PNG.e0506e2343bf8ef53aad43fb48ead36c.PNG

I was a huge fan of Rhapsody Tapes when it came out, and while I was initially disappointed with the preceding singles, I'm already as addicted to this album as I was to Rhapsody Tapes and Black Label. I like the nu-metal stuff much better than the...pop...rock...whatever, but the latter really didn't ruin the album as a whole. I'm gonna be putting this on a minidisc asap for the full experience ;P

8/10 overall. Favorite tracks: Superstar, Neo, Thousand Golden People, Guys from the Gord, Shimmer, Ask for the Anthem, Sway, Junkie$. I'd probably rank Flip Phone Fantasy 3rd with Black Label being 2nd and Rhapsody Tapes being 1st.

I wasn't expecting this to be this good, at all. It's so diverse and nostalgic.
Favs are: Thousand Golden People, Shimmer, Baby Cobra and Ask For The Anthem. Freaks closes up the album on a high note too.

• Upvote 2

Will end up being on the most fucking fun albums to listen to of 2020. Very heavily in 90s Alternative, but still feels like a fresh product of 2020. Ocean Grove are a band that probably shouldn't be as good as they are, but they know how to do it right.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

The purest, non-conformist jaded subhuman terrorist.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:33 AM, Bloodycape82 said:

No, just no.  

^ Don't worry lads. This is the same guy that said scary mask by poppy was trash 🤷🏻‍♂️ keep calm and carry on this album bangs (edited to make my point clearer @Why Nolin? Please no haterino)

Edited by BlueWallOfDeath
Clarification of my point
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 1

klbanneredo-min.png

6 hours ago, BlueWallOfDeath said:

^ Don't worry lads. This is the same guy that said scary mask by poppy was trash 🤷🏻‍♂️ keep calm and carry on this album bangs (edited to make my point clearer @Why Nolin? Please no haterino)

Poppy is complete garbage, and anyone who enjoys that trash should be embarrassed.  I got tickets to see her open for Deftones and Gojira and I'll be getting my buzz on instead of watching her horrible set.

• Downvote 2

On 3/12/2020 at 9:08 AM, BLEGH said:

This was a pleasant surprise really really good stuff here enjoyed it quite alot 8/10

Fav tracks: Superstar, Neo, Sense Again, Sunny, Thousand Golden People, Ask For The Anthem and Junkie$ 

wow, "Shimmer" didn't even make your list? That's by far the best one imo! 

• Upvote 2

Don't really understand the LB comparison, might be in the same genre, but completely different sounds and styles of how they do things. Anyways, definitely putting this in my top 10 favorite albums of 2020, I enjoyed the hell out of this and see myself replaying over and over again. I noticed it's a lot of positive lyrics which I don't mind, it's a nice break from all the depressing/angry shit I listen too :lol:

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, AnthonyK said:

Don't really understand the LB comparison, might be in the same genre, but completely different sounds and styles of how they do things. Anyways, definitely putting this in my top 10 favorite albums of 2020, I enjoyed the hell out of this and see myself replaying over and over again. I noticed it's a lot of positive lyrics which I don't mind, it's a nice break from all the depressing/angry shit I listen too :lol:

Only song here like Limp Bizkit is Junkies

20 hours ago, BlueWallOfDeath said:

Whatevs dude i just think your 'point' was stupid. Giving an objective argument to counter an objective opinion.

t2DLnik.png

21 hours ago, Dancing in the Dust said:

Only song here like Limp Bizkit is Junkies

Listening to that song again, I agree, sounds like something from LB Results May Vary era mainly because of how melodic the chorus is 

This album is surprisingly super fun and enjoyable. Never been into these guys but I love the nu-metal sound of this, it's just so damn catchy

• Upvote 1

Super fun album back to front

• Upvote 1

It’s good no doubt. But their debut was much better.

This is fucking great!

• Upvote 1

Didn't get around to listening to this at its release, but boy is it good. Great sonic diversity and songwriting. It feels like what the last Deez Nuts record wants to be. Vocals kinda remind me of Billie Joe Armstrong at times. Overall very enjoyable.

20200902_221303.jpg

Is the bonus track still only available on the vinyl? If not i'll try to get a decent rip.

• Upvote 1

t2DLnik.png

1 minute ago, Why Nolin? said:

Is the bonus track still only available on the vinyl? If not i'll try to get a decent rip.

probs

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

4 hours ago, Why Nolin? said:

Which bonus track is this? The secret B-side from the Junkies 7” Single?

edit: Nevermind I literally just listened to it on my vinyl. No idea how I missed that. It sounds like Shimmer Pt. 2 to me, but my record player is far from the best audio wise :lol:

115683106_BitterPiccy.jpg.2d236e5a4f796df6dede15f417522d3b.jpg

lastfm_black.gif.91f8144a457ece93c6601c67606c1d82.gif.96766e32a354e166e2036eb38a299b16.gif     rsz_spotify.png.3d59151ccfacd78883deaa07ccb0264d.png