Chief

Silverstein - A Beautiful Place to Drown (2020)

94 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Exsanguination45 said:

My fave band doesn't have to be in my fave genre...simpleton.

Wage War isn't even my fave band these days and deathcore isn't my fave genre either.

You can listen to shit music, doesn't phase me...cute it triggered you so much you stalked me 

What

You Make Me Wanna Forget 

Other Releases by

FLAC added!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

FEATURED ALBUM • THE COLOURIST // SELF-TITLED • Indie Rock
DOWNLOAD

Thanks for the 320!  Listened a few more times and its growing on me.  More songs on here that I like than I don't.  Still pretty safe and not extremely memorable, but most consistent and enjoyable album since This Is How... IMO.

• Upvote 1

So, I did another listen on 320. 

There's not much left I can say about it, the album's pretty cool. But is it the best Silverstein album? Not really. Still I enjoyed this album and the anticipation ride. Silverstein is one of the bands that I know since my early childhood and it's cool to see they're still making great music. I think I'll keep all songs except Take What You Give and All on Me. 

Best songs: Where Are You, Shape Shift, Stop and Coming Down. 

Best single: Madness.

Least favorite song: Take What You Give

• Upvote 2

I watched you burning every bridge, then blame the smoke for your eyes burning.

even though it so poppy atleast they are good at it

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Exsanguination45 said:

Well this is a steaming pile of dogshit 

Band needs to quit already 

Bring on those downvotes from those who like shit music :)

this is better than whatever wage war put out last year so :)))

• Upvote 3

EFo5Hj3XoAAmas3.jpg

Very good album!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Exsanguination45 said:

My fave band doesn't have to be in my fave genre...simpleton.

Wage War isn't even my fave band these days and deathcore isn't my fave genre either.

You can listen to shit music, doesn't phase me...cute it triggered you so much you stalked me 

How is it stalking if it's written where anyone can see it?! You don't even know how to troll efficiently.. Get lost mate.

• Upvote 1

Not as good as the previous 3 albums. Not as heavy hitting, not as many cool riffs as past songs.. but still above average has a good 10 songs just nothing amazing

I'm not usually a massive Silverstein fan but I absolutely love this album.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

standout tracks to me were Bad Habits, Where Are You, Infinite, Madness, September 14. not surprised this sounds more poppy than their usual standard phc, since a lot of bands have poppy choruses with empty screaming....the genre is altogether more poppy than their heyday

Infinite best song imo

Through love frequency I vibe into your scope

Assuming your parameters

Encompassed and unknown

Always stoked when I hear Silverstein is releasing an album, and I was not disappointed with this one. It definitely is much more Alt Rock than usual but, Shane's vocals and all of the instruments are on point and still combine to give a damn good listening experience. It still gives off the Sivlerstein vibe, just with a more mellow energy.

I won't lie though, the heavier songs are still my favourite off the album with Burn it Down being my top. Though that has a lot to do with Caleb's part, otherwise it would probably be Madness.

Also the Simple Plan song was a suprise, but definitely not a bad one.

Either way gonna be jamming to this for a long time. Or atleast until Afterburner drops.

1436859112550.gif

Some catchy tunes that I will replay a lot for sure. Overall very solid album though there's not much Silverstein to it. I guess it's too upbeat and it being majority cleans is something I'm not very used to. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2020 at 11:23 AM, desk said:

There's really not much lasting value to this, singles already hinted at how extremely overproduced and sterile this will be but it still is them at their most manufactured and honestly pretty mediocre self, at parts feels like they're doing some ADTR schtick with their sound..?

I guess for the most part they're okay catchy songs but really, this is easily the most superficial Silverstein, besides September 14th nothing here really sounds like them and it's honestly probably the coolest song on the album. I also thought All On Me with the toned down, slightly electronic approach really worked well, the sax was a solid addition too.

The album wasn't a chore to listen through but I also really don't ever wanna do it again. Maybe if I was 16 and it was 2010 this would do me wonders, not anymore.

I'm just kinda weirded out with their discography at this point. They seem to have matured incredibly well with This Is How The Wind Shifts and I Am Alive In Everything I Touch, and then Dead Reflection was sort of a misstep IMO but it's still not even close to whatever the mediocre shit this is. Hope the next one's better! 

Lol I feel like anytime I’ve seen you comment on an album I’m downloading it’s a negative comment.

You sure are hard to please

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

.... the statement that sums up this album....

EVERY BAND CHANGES ITS SOUNDS.

Good change - This album.

Bad change - AA.

• Upvote 1

You Make Me Wanna Forget 

No doubt about it. This is Silverstein's weakest album. Now for context, I've loved/liked everything they've put out since 2003. This is How the Wind Shifts was peak Silverstein for me. Heck, even Dead Reflections was a unique gem in it's own right. But I gotta call it out for what it is and I don't care about the downvotes I'm going to recieve. I like the tracks Bad Habits, Burn it Down, Madness, and honestly the rest is just utterly forgettable to me. There's no passion, there's no catchiness and unforgettable hooks, there's barely any aggression that's always be a staple of Silverstein. This isn't the Silverstein I know and love. There are still pieces of Silverstein in a very select few of the songs, but a majority of the record is just void of what made Silverstein post hardcore juggernauts. This record is simply a shell of a band long gone from their roots.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Scotty_Trees said:

No doubt about it. This is Silverstein's weakest album. Now for context, I've loved/liked everything they've put out since 2003. This is How the Wind Shifts was peak Silverstein for me. Heck, even Dead Reflections was a unique gem in it's own right. But I gotta call it out for what it is and I don't care about the downvotes I'm going to recieve. I like the tracks Bad Habits, Burn it Down, Madness, and honestly the rest is just utterly forgettable to me. There's no passion, there's no catchiness and unforgettable hooks, there's barely any aggression that's always be a staple of Silverstein. This isn't the Silverstein I know and love. There are still pieces of Silverstein in a very select few of the songs, but a majority of the record is just void of what made Silverstein post hardcore juggernauts. This record is simply a shell of a band long gone from their roots.

Imo, this is the best SS album to date, shows the band has strength in other fields then screaming & the sound they had for there past albums

You Make Me Wanna Forget 

So, silverstein A Beautiful Place to Drown. I've had a hard time piecing together my thoughts exactly what I feel towards this record. 

That being said I think there's a lot of really great things here. Usually when bands go this direction, it can feel extremely hollow, like they're just lifeless (TWA, MMF for example). But Silverstein went a bit softer while still keeping the uncleans in at least half the album, and managed to sound like they still cared about what they were putting out. 

Now, the lyrics are still very Silverstein as well. They're just put up against upbeat instrumentals, which is cool cause it kinda sounds like they're trying to mask the pain of the lyrics, like someone depressed masks their pain. There's a few exceptions of songs that lack the emotional appeal but are still fun (like Where Are You)

The features here are outstanding. But I'd like to specifically mention Princess Nokia and Simple Plan, those both turned out great, but seemed absolutely awful on paper. So major props for those features not destroying otherwise great songs

So, I'm thinking this falls in the 9/10 to 10/10 range, which to me is exactly the quality of most of this band's output. And I'd place it in third place in their discography 

Now, how I'd rank each album in order from favorite to least favorite

1: A Shipwreck in The Sand 10/10

2: Rescue 10/10

3: A Beautiful Place to Drown 9/10 or 10/10

4: Dead Reflections 9/10

5: Discovering the Waterfront 9/10

6: I Am Alive In Everything I Touch 9/10

7: This Is How The Wind Shifts 8/10

8: When Broken is Easily Fixed 7/10

9: Arrivals and Departures 7/10

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tedwards_ said:

Lol I feel like anytime I’ve seen you comment on an album I’m downloading it’s a negative comment.

You sure are hard to please

Start downloading different albums. Clearly our tastes are too different and I rarely see you commenting on anything that's worth note either.  :*

• Haha 2

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

Yeah I got nothing negative to say about this album

Ok, Shape Shift and Where Are You made up for everything I didn't like about their previous album.

Ok, I think it's a pretty decent album. More commercial sounding, which is great in some cases (such as Infinite), and a bit disappointing in some of the others. But overall, it's pretty good. It actually made me want to get more into older Silverstein, since I listened to them only back in the days of Waterfront, and barely ever as much later until now. And now I can tell that I've missed on a lot, especially taking Rescue and This Is How The Wind Shifts into consideration. :)

Hearing September 14th makes me so incredibly sad that the rest of the album sounds like a different band. 

I am so beside myself right now. This band didn't put out a bad song in 15 years and then this? I love Silverstein, I still do, but I won't be listening to this one much. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

damn, this went from 'catchy' to 'grating' in only a handful of listens.  I had a feeling that was going to happen when I was singing along on my first playthrough. 

im happy these guys aren't pandering by sticking with a sound they're no longer into, they've given me 3 incredible albums, they deserve to play whatever they want.  but this ones just not for me.  I'll give it one more try tomorrow but that will probably be my last.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

source.gif

• Haha 1

Damn, Saxl Rose is who did the sax on this. He's the one who did sax for Neck Deep and Issues. Man's killing it

• Upvote 1

20200608_180043.png

Some songs on here are really good, but a lot of them are just kind of bland.

6.5/10

596608895_na2020newkl.png.cf55878107374737a11284053516e96b.png

On 3/7/2020 at 9:46 AM, degausser said:

damn, this went from 'catchy' to 'grating' in only a handful of listens.  I had a feeling that was going to happen when I was singing along on my first playthrough. 

im happy these guys aren't pandering by sticking with a sound they're no longer into, they've given me 3 incredible albums, they deserve to play whatever they want.  but this ones just not for me.  I'll give it one more try tomorrow but that will probably be my last.

Yeah that’s not how that works. 
if you were “singing along in your first play through” then you clearly liked the album. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tedwards_ said:

Yeah that’s not how that works. 
if you were “singing along in your first play through” then you clearly liked the album. 

liked

and catchy does not equal good.

and you clearly already know 'how that works' but just for fun let me offer an alternative.  maybe, if I listen to a song for the first time, and by the second chorus I can sing along, maybe... not always, but occasionally, that's a bad sign.  

it might indicate repetitive, predictable song writing, the kind that's fun at first but over time becomes at best boring and at worst irritating.

I know that's 'not how that works', it's just a theory I have.