967-EVIL

Four Year Strong - Brain Pain (2020)

47 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, dewey duck said:

It’s a grower. I didn’t like a whole lot on first listen. But I think more listens will make it better.

I sure hope so <3

• Upvote 2

Other Releases by

I really liked this release! It’s mature, heavy and catchy. The maturity of this album puts it over the self titled for me. Also the bass took a step up which I love being a bass player! 

Let's fucking goooooooo

Wow, what a great release!

Favorites (without the 4 singles):

I´ts cool

Crazy Pills

Mouth Full Of Dirt

Young At Heart

But... i like them all.

Thx!

• Upvote 1

Never really been a huge fan of FYS, merely for the fact im not a big Pop Punk guy. But this album is fucking GREAT. Love the heavier bits when they come around. Favorite track would have to be Seventeen.

• Upvote 6

1c10a72c9c1f1d5ceb0bdb84ca32666c.png

Rating this is so hard. I think there's so many great elements, and so much interesting. But something's missing. Regardless, I'm thinking it falls in an 8 or a 9 range. Somewhere there 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Lord Kingdom said:

Never really been a huge fan of FYS, merely for the fact im not a big Pop Punk guy. But this album is fucking GREAT. Love the heavier bits when they come around. Favorite track would have to be Seventeen.

Exactly the same here. I’ve never really been into them - not for lack of trying, I’ve listened to everything they’ve released - but could never really get into them... that being said, this album is fucking awesome.

4 hours ago, Lord Kingdom said:

Seventeen is great, it's minimalistic in a way that I didn't know I wanted to hear until I did. The silences and reservations in the instrumentation throughout it hit me in a sweet spot....If that makes any sense at all. I don't care, I love it. Haha

Edited by Uncle_BBQ
Typos
  • Upvote 1

Got my nose broke during their set when they were touring with BMTH.. good times xD 15th birthday I think

• Haha 1

FLAC added!

FEATURED ALBUM • THE COLOURIST // SELF-TITLED • Indie Rock
DOWNLOAD

Really like this album! Fave tracks are Crazy Pills,  Learn to Love the Lie and Seventeen 

This was a very fun listen, even if the whole "Easycore" thing isn't my cup of tea normally. Like everyone else is saying, "Seventeen" is a straight up banger.

• Upvote 3

The purest, non-conformist jaded subhuman terrorist.

Well, @dewey duck was right. This is a grower. This is a very good record. It felt to me that the oil and water that are pop punk and metalcore which they have flawlessly mixed in the past separated a little bit on this record. Not a bad thing, it's just heavier in some areas than I expected, and it's more noticeably different from the pop punk bits than we've seen in the past. In general they did well to keep it sonically diverse. I still wouldn't put it as a whole on the same level as their best material, but there are some fantastic tracks on here. Also really glad that they experimented a little bit, but that's what they've always done. Here is my full review and rating (If it's enjoyable to read at all, let me know, I might do more in the future).

It's Cool - An absolutely giant song, gives me grand hopeful NASA vibes. Breakdown at the end is also nice. 5/5

Get Out of My Head - Weird song. Weird chorus, weird, stiff riffs that are really pleasing. Music video is kinda cringe except for when the guy pees on himself. 4/5

Crazy Pills - Sounds like it could have been on the last 2 records. Good song, but nothing special from them. 4/5

Talking Myself In Circles - A huge catchy anthem that was stuck in my head for days. Like the use of the bass guitar. Lip-syncing in the music video is poo poo garbage. 4/5

Learn to Love the Lie - Manages to be full of love-emotion and of punk rock energy at the same time, in a way only FYS can pull off. Relatable lyrics, great harmony and riffs. 5/5

Brain Pain - An example of more complex songwriting FYS employed on this record. Chorus is awesome. Enjoyable the whole time, yet I feel it's missing something. Represents the album perfectly. 4.5/5

Mouth Full of Dirt - Lyrically feels like a thought process to me which is really nice. Composed like a classic FYS song. 4/5

Seventeen - A more emotionally powerful track than is usual from them. Stripped back parts work really well. Fills me full of nostalgia of younger days, which is ironic since my age is literally the song title, the age the band is being nostalgic about. 5/5

Be Good When I'm Gone - Pretty song, after the new tracks on their acoustic album I grew to like their acoustic style. Strings are a great compliment to the song. I can just picture this Alan Day's partner listening to this on their Christmas tree farm while Alan is away on tour. 4.5/5

The Worst Part About Me - Classic FYS with just different enough songwriting to keep it interesting. 4/5

Usefully Useless - Kinda awkward at points, but it grows on you. Harmonization in the chorus is the best part about it. 4/5

Young at Heart - Absolutely gorgeous. If Be Good When I'm Gone is the hottest girl who went to your school, this song is a supermodel. Has the same grandness that the opening track had, with lots more emotion. Song ends kinda abruptly but you get used to it. Great way to close this record. I hope we don't have to wait five more years for their next record. 5/5

• Upvote 2