Summers

The Word Alive - MONOMANIA (2020)

90 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

will be spinning this later, hopefully it’s better than the singles let on, I’m doubtful though 

yeah epic

My gooood!!!! So amazing!!!

• Upvote 1

The-Devil-Wears-Prada (2).jpg

This album is absolutely fucking amazing beginning to end!!! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks buddy!

Monomania - No Way Out - bit repetitive but well produced, a bit ambient, catchy, good songs.

Searching For Glory - Another Year In The Shadows - Greatest Almost - this is a huge dip where nearly everything sounds the same and much worse than the first two tracks, throwaways really.

Thank You - Numb Love (Misery 2) - K.F. - These three are fucking great, finally they have some sort of identities, heavier moments, guitars are finally doing something interesting, much tighter songwriting than previous 3, definitely very well done here.

Burning Your World Down - arguably one of the worst tracks on the album lmao, just really a b-side at it's finest.

Comfort & Chaos - I'm Sorry You're Sorry Now - fairly solid songs, but mad repetitive and chorus driven, mostly carried by Telle's vocal performance, not much else to write home about, even tho the the last minute of Sorry is p. tite.

Closer - Not a bad closer, could've been even better, but it sort of encapsulates what the album is as a whole and shows off Telle at his heaviest (this album) so that's a nice touch.

Safe to say this is an even softer album than their last one and they've nearly completely lost their identity as a band but it's still IMO a much less over the place clusterfuck that was Violent Noise and maybe is even a bit better overall, at least they dropped all the gimmicky features and fucktarded "experimentation" attempts (like that fucking no-name rapper lmfao), it might actually help them sell-out into mainstream more solidly, but honestly it's such a far cry from their stuff early-mid career.

If this release doesn't end up a bigger commercial success than their last few albums they REALLY need to re-evaluate themselves as a band. They haven't written a consistently great album in years and they still try to do +12 tracks each album cycle when they can barely drop ~6-8 great songs per album MAX, just become an EP band at this point so you can still sell merch and get on tours because this is not working.

I could see myself coming back to roughly half or more of these songs because when TWA are good, they're very enjoyable to me, the rest (like 3-5, 9) just hold no value whatsoever.

6.5-7/10.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2
  • Downvote 1

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

they've never impressed me much, but this should have a decent song or two

Through love frequency I vibe into your scope

Assuming your parameters

Encompassed and unknown

How much am I going to be disappointed and let down by this?

Such a good album, I'm satisfied! Thank you @Summers !

• Upvote 1

Album is absolutely beautiful and amazing! Fuck the haters, let's discuss how awful BMTH has become with their drastic sound and genre change. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 15

only songs i really cared for were monomania, no way out, kf

Through love frequency I vibe into your scope

Assuming your parameters

Encompassed and unknown

I tried. I really tried. This album isnt even that bad. It has some good energy throughout, but this band just bores the fuck out of me now. The entire record just blends together and not in a good way. Reminds me exactly like their last record, Violent Noise. 2-3 decent tracks, but none of them have actual replay value. I'm probably never going to spin this record ever again. It's sad that I'm saying this and this is the same band that put out Life Cycles and Deceiver.

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, CityOfTheWeak said:

Album is absolutely beautiful and amazing! Fuck the haters, let's discuss how awful BMTH has become with their drastic sound and genre change. 

I actually fully agree with this statement! BMTH used to be a really damn good deathcore and metalcore band and they started a progressive sound/genre change when they came out with Sempriternal and the following album after that. Then they DRASTICALLY changed into pure pop and electronic crap with AMO (NOT a fan of it at all) and then their latest release. At least with The Word Alive this is a more normal and natural shift in change of sound. Yes they are not as heavy as they used to be but, at least they still keep some hints of it here and there. This album is pretty fucking awesome and a great overall sound for them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 5

Remember when the teaser for Trapped teased the heavy part, and the chorus? We thought we were getting a proggier REAL. Instead we've gotten everything that has followed. I try man, I do try. It's like they wanna write for chicks that still beg their mom's to get them that Reptar TDWP they've always wanted. Sorry for the harsh words but like, I'm glad I don't spend money on this band anymore lol. I don't care that there isn't much heavy anymore but like, it still isn't good imo lol. They could have at least went shoegaze. This generic myspacecore needs to stop. It's really time to move on lol. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm gonna give this a shot, but I am expecting the worst.

Update:

It's not exactly terrible, but mostly generic and unoriginal.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

596608895_na2020newkl.png.cf55878107374737a11284053516e96b.png

Click ^ to see reviews.

Damn this shit is mad doo doo

cant wait for Telle’s tantrum following people’s criticism of this album

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is the worst album I’ve heard this year so far, and definitely the lowest point in this band’s career so far. Every song here sounds so bland and devoid of any life whatsoever besides the closing track, which I found to be a damn good track actually. The majority of the songs sound the exact same with only minor tweaks. Similar chord progressions, similar structures, similar melodies. I’ve listened to this record multiple times and am still having a hard time remembering anything that was on it. 1.5/10, honestly pretty unfortunate that the only good part of this album is Erik Ron, and he’s not even a part of the band. 

Go ahead and give me my downvote, RockinXander. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

It's definitely not a bad album, but I can also see some people think it's rather generic-ish. It's something I'd listen once or twice, but not something I'd have in repeat all the time.

Though I really liked three certain songs, being Monomania, Another Day in the Shadows and Death Is Only The End If You Assume The Story Is About You. I definitely could see myself listening to them more than the album in general. 

I watched you burning every bridge, then blame the smoke for your eyes burning.

2 hours ago, CityOfTheWeak said:

You’ve got a through fire pp I’m not surprised you like dad-core

also Ludens was written in 2 days for a video game and sounds way more passionately written than this whole album

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I dig what I’ve heard so far. K.F. would have to be one of my favorite tracks on here. I read yesterday that the abbreviation stands for Kyle Forever, making it a great tribute to a friend. All in all, I’m pleased with this album. 

• Love 1

the number of songs I like < the number of songs that put me to sleep

FreePSP.gif

I'm giving this a fair shot and I'm not hating it by any means, but Telle is really the only thing that stands out here so far. His voice is so damn good and he can write an incredibly infectious hook, but the instrumentals have taken a considerable hit since Luke Holland's departure. I think they could have been saved a little by some punchier production (like on Dark Matter), but largely they're still far less technical or interesting than the stuff this band did previously. Not that technicality = quality, or more simplistic songwriting signals a lack thereof, but this band definitely thrived when they had more going on in their music. 

Gonna finish this one and probably add some final thoughts, but more than anything it just makes me sad how little I've enjoyed this (so far) as well as Violent Noise compared to Dark Matter and Life Cycles.

tl;dr it's definitely not bad, but the context of the group's previous efforts cast a pretty inescapable shadow that I just can't ignore, even if this is pretty catchy

yeah epic

This is the first time that I actually feel the smell of a thread in this site, and it smells like absolute shit

• Haha 4
  • Downvote 2

THE WORD ALIVE - MONOMANIA Review

MONOMANIA – 5/5

NO WAY OUT – 4/5

SEARCHING FOR GLORY –  4/5 - love the acoustic guitar in the song

ANOTHER YEAR IN THE SHADOWS– 4.5/5 - very different vocal range for Telle in this track I like it. Love the instrumentals.

GREATEST ALMOST – 4/5 – kind of almost sounds like a filler. But it's ok

THANK YOU – 4.5/5 – very good. some dark matter vibes for sure. 

NUMB LOVE (MISERY II) – 4.5/5 – got goosebumps for that beginning intro. Instrumental Is great, vocals amazing in this track. I loved the drums a lot in this track. Electronics didn’t need to be in it I think. I don’t think it's worthy to be MISERY II tho.

K.F. – 4/5 – another song with goosebumps. Some hard screams from Telle in this one. It’s an enjoyable track. Good instrumentals. Another dark matter vibes

BURNING YOUR WORLD DOWN – 5/5

COMFORT & CHAOS – 4/5 – loved the outro. Instrumental is great

IM SORRY YOU’RE SORRY NOW – 3.5/5 – sounds like something off of Violent noise loved violent noise but this is pretty meh.

DEATH IS ONLY THE END IF YOU ASSUME THE STORY IS ABOUT YOU – 4/5 crazy vocals to Telle in the end.

What are my thoughts? It had some dark matter vibes on some tracks but didn’t give that good feeling of “hey this sounds amazing I love it” there are good headbanging tunes but Its more of can some of these tracks hold up. Like the singles I thought held up well. Maybe Numb love I think will hold up pretty well. Im curious what everyone thinks for this album.

Fav tracks: BURNING YOUR WORLD DOWN, MONOMANIA, NUMB LOVE (MISERY II), K.F., THANK YOU.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

I’m sorta disappointed, but not at all surprised. TWA was my favorite band for a long time, and very influential on me as a musician back in the day, and it’s not exactly the change in sound that’s disappointing, but the overall lack of effort/inspiration on the record. I’ve read a few interviews from Telle about the album and how it’s very personal and simplified for the band, and I do believe as an artist it’s important to make this kind of album somewhere along the way, but it just doesn’t sound like they tried very hard. I’m hoping they get a second wind before their next record. I’d love to see them do something like this but maybe a little more technical/progressive? 

• Upvote 2

the worst album of the year xD

• Downvote 4

3 hours ago, blackjordanairforce1s said:

You’ve got a through fire pp I’m not surprised you like dad-core

also Ludens was written in 2 days for a video game and sounds way more passionately written than this whole album

Ludens is actually the only good and decent song out of ALL of their recent very experimental pop and electronic crap that they have been coming out with. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Just now, RockinXander said:

Ludens is actually the only good and decent song out of ALL of their recent very experimental pop and electronic crap that they have been coming out with. 

no

• Upvote 6

yeah epic