Summers

Polaris - The Death of Me (2020)

99 posts in this topic

Just now, LinaK said:

what tracks jamie doing cleans in besides masochist? 

vagabond has a wierd uplifting chorus, not a fan

Vagabond is my least favorite track purely because of that chorus. Jamie sings a lot on here. Martyr is mostly him, maybe even all him. I'm not going to go through and find all his moments for you but if you listen for him his cleans play a way bigger role here than they have in the past.

Other Releases by

I came here to say this album completely blew me away. Incredible. Album of the Year so far. 

5 hours ago, nebulari said:

It's fine. Nothing really stands out to me to be honest, just sounds like another metalcore release.

I don't feel like they tried to do anything new with this record, not that they'd have to, but it's certainly nothing exuberant to sit down and listen to in a sitting.

2/5

I can list on one hand the number of metalcore bands that sound like this. I have NO IDEA what you're talking about. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you Kanye, very cool. good album, album is good

http://www.facebook.com/DosesNJ

New song "Glass Crown" out now!
http://linktr.ee/Doses

It's Polaris so it's good but not entirely they match the highs of Mortal Coil.

There's not a song on here that gets me like Consume or The Remedy did. 

Maybe I'll get into it more over time, we will see. 

• Upvote 6

klsig.png.3267830764a221b632f399d63c5c2267.png

2 hours ago, Kurgan said:

But what I really want to know is what the hell is going on via Twitter between Polaris and Kingdom Leaks... 

hopefully I'm not over explaining

kingdom leaks leaked the album

as a result the label tweeted out that they're going to stream the album (to direct some of the traffic away from the leak) 

Polaris retweeted the labels stream announcement and @'d kingdom leaks.  I'm sure a few of them use the site too, 

This is topnotch songwriting!!! These guys have their shit together!!!

“Creatures of Habit” is the standout track for me, so far. 

• Upvote 2

I liked that part in the album where they sounded exactly like Architects.

4 minutes ago, DreamAgain said:

I think you're referring to the last breakdown in Pray For Rain

giphy (2).gif

Probably a really controversial take, but the singles are the only good songs on this record.

Everything else sounds a little too squeaky clean like there doesn't have anything sound as raw, one song I will definitely not be listening back to again is Vagabond, holy shit that song was boring as fuck, sounds like it was written for WWE NXT or some shit.

5/10 a step down from the Mortal Coil

• Love 1
  • Confused 1

klbanneredo-min.png

TL;DR: The thing about Polaris, isnt that they're doing something "different" or "ground breaking," it's that they're taking sounds that we are all so familiar with and turning them into something interesting. They break the generic structure, maintaining a slightly progressive and expiremental edge, while still sticking true to the punishing metalcore sound. They're extremely FAMILIAR, while continuing to separate themselves from the crowd and proving why they will be the standout band of the 2020's.

Pray For Rain: acting as the intro track and painting the perfect scene for what's to come on this album, clean guitar ambience, relentless chugs, top notch vocal performances. Enjoyable in the context of the album, yet a little too drawn out for a playlist - 8/10

Hypermania: the circle pit song, takes heavy influence from Southern Metalcore and a classic metal sound, but this song only really shines in a live performance - 6.5/10

Masochist: I didnt like this song as a single, it scared me for the tone of the album, but after hearing it in context of the album its quickly become a top tier Polaris track and I cant get enough of it even after all this time. A perfect fusion of classic emo/post hardcore with modern metalcore - 8.5/10

Landmine: We all know this song is fucking amazing, and the choice of using a scream/chant refrain in place of a hook, and slapping a single random clean sung chorus in the middle of the song is a Polaris staple at this point. Not to mention the breakdown... - 7.5/10

Vagabond: This to me sounds like it belongs somehow on both "Neon" from Erra, and also any SXM Octane playlist ever. It feels true to today's METAL, but oddly out of character for Polaris. Which isnt a bad thing for a band that can seemingly do no wrong. This song is very fun and powerful, but nothing impressive - 7/10

Creatures Of Habit: MVP to the instrumentals here, this song is full of riffage and flaunting of musical talents, even in the chorus the instruments are on CENTER stage, again proving that Polaris is fueled by every member of the band and constantly looking to do things that are familiar to metalcore, yet unique to them - 8/10

Above My Head: returning to the more emotional side of the spectrum, the lyrics shine the most here. Catchy post hardcore/metalcore track with a more generic structure. Solid - 7/10

Martyr (Waves): probably the most out of the ballpark track on the project, an emotional ballad that pushes the vocal performances from both frontmen to their absolute limit. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Polaris just doesn't miss - 8/10

All Of This Is Fleeting: MY FAVORITE SONG OFF THE PROJECT! Amazing vocal performances. Ridiculous instrumentation. Perfectly punishing breakdowns. Slightly atypical structure. Perfect for the pit. Perfect for the sing along. The standout moment comes from the jarring breakdown. It doesnt even sound like it's from the same song and that's why I love it - 9.5/10

The Descent: The outro might be my least favorite song on the project. I found myself constantly zoning in and out of the song trying to remember to focus on the track so I could dissect it. Very expiremental song in terms of structure, however hard to hold onto for 5 minutes plus. Makes more sense in context of the album but falls short anywhere else - 6/10

Overall thoughts - 8/10 album. I'm incredibly disappointed that after waiting three years since hearing The Mortal Coil, I only got 10 songs to make me fall in love with Polaris all over again. Although they succeeded... This stands up to the pressure they received from the success of their 2017 debut. My favorite part about this album is that I can perfectly hear all of their influences. I hear the classic emo post hardcore from Silverstein and Hawthorne Heights loud and clear. I hear the Norma Jean. I hear the Killswitch Engage. I hear the Linkin Park. The Memphis May Fire. The Slipknot. The Of Mice & Men. The Suicide Silence. It's all there. Polaris knows how to showcase their influences in bits and pieces without sounding like a carbon copy. They're managing to make music from all ends of the spectrum that is incredibly entertaining and versatile without being too flashy or too much of an outlier as other bands tend to become. Polaris is determined on delivering high quality music with poetry and skill. Easy album of the year contender right here.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

This is lit!

It ain't half bad, but nowhere near AOTY-tier quality, sorry folks.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, xgerryx said:

I can list on one hand the number of metalcore bands that sound like this. I have NO IDEA what you're talking about. 

alright that's a bit disingenuous chief, Polaris aren't doing much here outside of the realm of the standard fare of metalcore, even if they're doing it really well 

if you wanna be specific though, this is the sort of metalcore that emerged in the early-mid 2010s after bands like Architects hit it big (big riffs, tight production, but a keener sense of melody than early metalcore)

there's nothing wrong with it particularly but if you've listened to a lot of mainstream metalcore for the past decade this isn't anything particularly new

again, it's really good for what it is, but ostensibly implying that there are 5 or less bands that sound like this is just flat-out wrong LOL 

Album didn't really hit the first two spins. But damn after that the entire thing REALLY grew on me, I fucking love this. Favorite tracks: Above My Head, Landmine, Creatures of Habit

• Love 2

http://www.facebook.com/DosesNJ

New song "Glass Crown" out now!
http://linktr.ee/Doses

Amazing! AOTY

Creatures of habit makes me wanna break shit :dumbass: banger!

This album truly bangs, dunno if I like it more than their first record...but damn it's still so solid. Favorites off this are All of This Is Fleeting, Pray for Rain, Landmine, and Above My Head. The Descent is a pretty solid closing song I'd say also, I'm glad these boys were able to deliver. 

i knew this was gonna be good, but not this good holy shit. Going back to re-rate their whole discography

tumblr_mb34zsMLZ51r74zpdo1_500.gif

13 hours ago, DreamAgain said:

Except they didn't. Some fucking idiot said something similar about the new Reflections sounding like Emmure. I wear hearing aids mate and even though I'm partially deaf, seems like I'll never get anywhere close to the level that you have..

Metalcore aoty thus far

Has good sonic diversity while maintaining their identity. Nothing groundbreaking, but extremely well done

20200608_180043.png

couple criticisms not just with this band, but particularly this genre overall, that i've never understood:

the first one i've heard in regards to Hypermania specifically, but also from some folks here and there about Landmine, is that it sounds "heavy for the sake of being heavy." i have no idea what that sentence means. if you're listening to a metalcore band, is that...not what you're looking for? heavy songs? this especially confuses me after hearing complaints any time there's a trace of more-than-usual cleans in a song. i don't get what you're looking for.

the second is hearing people sound like they're disappointed that a song/album...sounds like the band they're listening to. like, obviously quality of the song is important, and retreading a similar songwriting formula in multiple songs can be redundant, i get it, but as an overall criticism of sound, i really don't understand the concept of listening to, in this instance, Polaris, and saying "man, it just sounds too much like Polaris." again, i'm not sure what you're looking for.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, in-the-low-life said:

you're listening to a metalcore band, is that...not what you're looking for? heavy songs? 

:lol: true

but also, are you the bass players mom or something?

14 minutes ago, degausser said:

:lol: true

but also, are you the bass players mom or something?

weird response to someone asking a genuine question, but ok.

1 hour ago, in-the-low-life said:

couple criticisms not just with this band, but particularly this genre overall, that i've never understood:

the first one i've heard in regards to Hypermania specifically, but also from some folks here and there about Landmine, is that it sounds "heavy for the sake of being heavy." i have no idea what that sentence means. if you're listening to a metalcore band, is that...not what you're looking for? heavy songs? this especially confuses me after hearing complaints any time there's a trace of more-than-usual cleans in a song. i don't get what you're looking for.

the second is hearing people sound like they're disappointed that a song/album...sounds like the band they're listening to. like, obviously quality of the song is important, and retreading a similar songwriting formula in multiple songs can be redundant, i get it, but as an overall criticism of sound, i really don't understand the concept of listening to, in this instance, Polaris, and saying "man, it just sounds too much like Polaris." again, i'm not sure what you're looking for.

Well said! I couldn’t agree more with your second “criticism.”

Only one listen and I like this more than The Mortal Coil. The Mortal Coil is great, but I felt it had a bit too many melodic songs for my tastes, in the same way Architects' Holy Hell was. I wanted more bangers like "Lucid" and "Relapse." This album has much more heavier bangers and the few melodic songs grab me even harder than anything off of the previous album. It's a pretty awesome album. Obviously nothing that will reinvent the Metalcore wheel, but it does make it turn.

The purest, non-conformist jaded subhuman terrorist.

3 hours ago, in-the-low-life said:

I guess I could explain. Hypermania and Landmine are the heaviest songs on the album, and that is pretty much their only defining quality. Personally I think Landmine is still good but overall I can't say much about them besides "they're heavy."

As for the second one, I can only imagine hearing that from someone who either hates the band's style, or is bored of their style and hoping for a change up.

Maybe I overhyped myself on this. But, this album really underwhelmed me on my 5 listens. I loved Mortal Coil even if it was a little samey throughout;it had a great formula. This album hits hard but none of the songs stood out it me.

I'll keep trying but I'm not initially impressed.

Thanks, though.

"I had a dream I got everything I wanted; and if I'm being honest, it might have been a nightmare."

This kinda sounds like if Wage War had a baby with either Miss May I or The Color Morale