Summers

Polaris - The Death of Me (2020)

99 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

I've only listened once, but it might be better than their last LP. I didnt love The Mortal Coil, but I liked some songs and moments on it. This is about the same, but more of those moments. Perhaps the lyrics took a step back in most places though. I think this is above average metalcore, but essentially none of it grips me emotionally, nothing made me smile in awe of the music, and nothing took my breath away. It's listenable, it's mildly entertaining, it's slightly above average metalcore. If I listen more, I might identify with the album more in places and it could vibe with me more, but we shall see.

• Upvote 2

I went through so many hoops to get this album onto my phone without having access to my home computer. And oh boy am I glad I did. This is the first album in a while I've felt needed a track by track review for me so here goes

Pray for Rain - Absolutely sick intro to the album, they really knew how to blow you away right from the beginning.

Hypermania - It feels heavy just to be heavy. Weakest song on the album for me, didn't feel anything special from it

Masochist - Been jamming this since it came out. The slow opening is fantastic and the cleans and screams blend so well. Love the chorus too.

Landmine - It's decent, kind of similar to Hypermania but with variety and more interesting riffs

Vagabond - Got a cool opening and nice riffs throughout, but the cleans are boring. Pretty good overall though.

Creatures of Habit - This was a fun listen all the way through, I really like the guitars during the chorus.

Above My Head - Holy FUCK this song slams! 

Martyr (Waves) - The start is a great followup to Above My Head. I wasn't expecting a song that's soft and somber like this, but I like how it still has its heavy elements throughout. Really great song.

All of This is Fleeting - I totally dig the riffs in this song. For the most part is nothing amazingly original but still pretty enjoyable. The bridge hits out of nowhere though, very nice

The Descent - Honestly this song is weakened by being at the end of the record because compared to the rest its just average. Still like the song but I would have preferred the two hit combo of Above My Head and Martyr as the album finisher.

Aside from Masochist, the singles were pretty much the weakest part of the album. Overall its much more chaotic than The Mortal Coil and far less predictable. I can feel the emotion coming from it more clearly than their last album, if that even had any emotion to it. They've changed themselves up but its for sure still Polaris. I'd be happy to see them keep going with this mix of clean and screams, it works so well for them.

Absolutely love this album, definitely going to be an AOTY contender for me!

• Upvote 1

masochist is unbeatable as expected but the rest is very good aswell, not sure if better than mortal coil though

I really enjoyed the mortal coil, and was honestly not expecting this to top that for me, but daaaaaaamn lol I absolutely love this, and this is a strong early contender for AOTY. 10/10 for me 

🤘😈🤘

Wow what an great album :)

Polaris The Death of Me Review:

Pray for Rain – first track off the album god damn. Amazing. Going slow into something hard like that damnnnn. - 4.5/5

Hypermania – 4/5

Masochist – Great balance of cleans, screams pretty much everything great track. 5/5

Landmine – flawless track. Great headbanger track. 4.5/5

Vagabond – good track really don’t know what to say actually. Its alright. Great guitar work. Not something memorable I think. 4/5

Creatures of Habit – another track with great guitar work. 4/5

Above My Head – love the cleans in this 4.5/5

Martyr (Waves) – different vocal range for sure. It's alright. 4/5

All of This Is Fleeting – amazing track damn. on par with Masochist. 5/5

The Descent – Good track. Very nice guitar riffs for that mini-breakdown near the end 4/5

Fav Tracks: Masochist, All of This Is Fleeting, Pray for Rain, Landmine

By far the best album I’ve listened to for guitar work. Beautiful album.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BenjaminBurnley said:

Pray for Rain – first track off the album god damn. Amazing. Going slow into something hard like that damnnnn. - 4.5/5

Hypermania – 4/5

Masochist – Great balance of cleans, screams pretty much everything great track. 5/5

Vagabond – good track really don’t know what to say actually. Its alright. Great guitar work. Not something memorable I think. 4/5

The Descent – Good track. Very nice guitar riffs for that mini-breakdown near the end 4/5

How is a track not memorable, alright and you have nothing to say about it and it's a 4/5? 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3
  • Downvote 1

Deadlights_-_Bathed_In_Venom_(Official_Music_Video).gif.7ce3a3ed3448ae83c213866ef79aa30e.gif

Just now, swanny3214 said:

How is a track not memorable, alright and you have nothing to say about it and it's a 4/5? 

I dont think its memorable it doesnt give something like Masochist or All of This Is Fleeting. So. What do u expect 100/100 like.

• Haha 2

It's fine. Nothing really stands out to me to be honest, just sounds like another metalcore release.

I don't feel like they tried to do anything new with this record, not that they'd have to, but it's certainly nothing exuberant to sit down and listen to in a sitting.

2/5

• Upvote 1

Just now, BenjaminBurnley said:

I dont think its memorable it doesnt give something like Masochist or All of This Is Fleeting. So. What do u expect 100/100 like.

no we expect you to give accurate scores based on your descriptions, 8/10 is way too high for something you admitted you didnt like that much 

• Love 2

1 minute ago, nebulari said:

It's fine. Nothing really stands out to me to be honest, just sounds like another metalcore release.

I don't feel like they tried to do anything new with this record, not that they'd have to, but it's certainly nothing exuberant to sit down and listen to in a sitting.

2/5

Thank you for using a rating system correctly <3 

Deadlights_-_Bathed_In_Venom_(Official_Music_Video).gif.7ce3a3ed3448ae83c213866ef79aa30e.gif

Just now, Maximo said:

no we expect you to give accurate scores based on your descriptions, 8/10 is way too high for something you admitted you didnt like that much 

Its a great track thats why its a 4/5 But like do i expect to probably like hold up to other tracks on the record no. i could have gave it a 3.5/5 but i did enjoy it somewhat so. If you dont enjoy my rating skill then dont comment :) my opinion sir.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, Maximo said:

it's ok, nothing too memorable 

9.5/10

i love this review

2.5/5

• Love 5

I love listening to a record and enjoying a song so much I can't remember which song it was on the 3rd/4th listen because of simply how forgettable it is

• Upvote 2

Just now, swanny3214 said:

i love this review

2.5/5

downvoted

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BenjaminBurnley said:

Hypermania – 4/5

I've never seen someone say so much and so little at the same time

• Haha 6

albums fine, has drums and guitar and it's sometimes soft sometimes heavy. breakdowns.  would not listen again 10/10

• Love 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Did not hear it yet, flawless - 5/5

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

rymacc 2.png last fm acc 2.png

I wasn't a huge fan of the singles so I'm glad most of the other songs aren't like them.

Then again, I think they're at their best when they throw in those Architect influences like in Creature of Habit. 

6 hours ago, SCHREDZ said:

Album of the Year!

Ok r/Metalcore relax it's only February

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

Amazing, beautiful album. Truly a work of art

1/5 not enough bleghs

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

I don’t think this band is quite worth the hype that they receive as they don’t really do anything different, but this album is enjoyable enough. Probably their most enjoyable work. Landmine is still the best song on the album. The more atmospheric bits are really cool. 

I feel like they managed to make a better overall album. The repeatability on this one is way more high, The Mortal Coil was good, but after a few listens only it got old real quick. I don't see what else you guys wish they tried, if that's the music they like to play I really I don't get what else they should do. You either master your craft or you do a Parkway Drive, which for me personally didn't hook me at all. It all comes down to each and everyone individual perspectives of how a band should evolve. Glad you enjoyed it anyway tho.

Cheers.

3 hours ago, BenjaminBurnley said:

flawless track. 4.5/5

wot?

• Haha 1

Jamie can sing better than Jake at this point, and his style fits the band's sound way better. I know it won't  happen but they would be better off if they gave him like 90% of vocal duties and left Jake to harmonize or something. Jamie brings way more grit and emotion with his cleans than Jake does.

Loving the album, liking the fact there's a bit more singing this time round and their music abilities have improved out of sight since the release of TMC.

But what I really want to know is what the hell is going on via Twitter between Polaris and Kingdom Leaks... 

1 hour ago, Thatoneguy335 said:

Jamie can sing better than Jake at this point, and his style fits the band's sound way better. I know it won't  happen but they would be better off if they gave him like 90% of vocal duties and left Jake to harmonize or something. Jamie brings way more grit and emotion with his cleans than Jake does.

what tracks jamie doing cleans in besides masochist? 

vagabond has a weird uplifting chorus, not a fan