Chief

The Amity Affliction - Everyone Loves You... Once You Leave Them (2020)

52 posts in this topic

I've never been a big fan of this band, but after "Misery" (which was the first album I've had heard from them) I thought they can deliver way better album than Misery was (AMFAD was fire, Soak Me In Bleach was nice mix of heavy and melodic vocals, Catatonia was meh for me, but whatever). After my first listen I was really pissed of, because if they could spent more time and focused more on each song, It could be way better than this. For me, every song has some potential, but it was tore down by other moments so the song went from 8/10 song to 4/10 song. 

This was a big dissapointment for me. I read opinions from others and I can agree with most of them. Some songs are not that bad, but they're still somehow stucked in the demo version of themselves and It could be waaaay better. There's a big wave of hate on "Aloneliness" which felt little bit cringy from the beginning but imo It's good song, not great but good. 

It's listenable but after first listen, I don't want to listen to it ever again as a whole.

Sadly, 6.5/10 for me :( 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Other Releases by

For anyone who isn't too sure about this album based on these replies, I'd give the singles a listen. I'd only heard Soak Me In Bleach on the radio and wasn't overly impressed, but the album seems solid.

• Love 1

Lol my comment was lost to the void when the site broke.

I loved TCBH and Misery had some of my all time favorite Amity songs, and I loved this album as well. Pretty much every track was something I enjoyed. People can hate all they want, I'm very satisfied with this release and nothing will change that opinion.

Fuck Baltimore Rain though what even was that

disappointed

Through love frequency I vibe into your scope

Assuming your parameters

Encompassed and unknown

On 2/19/2020 at 3:08 AM, pizzaistheessenceoflife said:

Wait, people actually expected a completely heavy album? Swear they said they were embracing their heavier side again but basically mixing it with the new sound introduced with Misery?

Some people will never be happy regardless of what direction a band takes. 

I, in the other hand, absolutely love this album. 

To each their own. 

• Upvote 1

The Amity Affliction - Everyone Loves You... Once You Leave Review:

Coffin – Hard ass song. Toooo short damn. 4.5/5

All My Friends Are Dead – Meh song. 2/5

Soak Me in Bleach – Such a damn good song. 5/5

All I Do is Sink – some cleans are good but it's alright. Screams are good at least. 3.5/5

Baltimore Rain – Really nice cleans/lyrics in this. Very catchy. 4/5

Aloneliness – I didn’t think something can be worse than all my friends are dead but they have done it. Wtf is this shit 1/5.

Forever –Very nice song somewhat catchy but not. 3.5/5

Just Like Me – let’s put some fall out boy (centuries) and chainsmokers (closer) elements and talk about god somewhat in a song and change it a bit. 1.5/5

Born to Lose – Nice cleans and guitar work. 3.5/5

Fever Dream – Pretty nice and hard. Nice drums. Loved that ending 4/5

Catatonia – Meh compared to the rest of the album. 2/5

It’s meh. What do you expect?

• Love 1

Just now, BenjaminBurnley said:

The Amity Affliction - Everyone Loves You... Once You Leave Review:

Coffin – Hard ass song. Toooo short damn. 4.5/5

All My Friends Are Dead – Meh song. 2/5

Soak Me in Bleach – Such a damn good song. 5/5

All I Do is Sink – some cleans are good but it's alright. Screams are good at least. 3.5/5

Baltimore Rain – Really nice cleans/lyrics in this. Very catchy. 4/5

Aloneliness – I didn’t think something can be worse than all my friends are dead but they have done it. Wtf is this shit 1/5.

Forever –Very nice song somewhat catchy but not. 3.5/5

Just Like Me – let’s put some fall out boy (centuries) and chainsmokers (closer) elements and talk about god somewhat in a song and change it a bit. 1.5/5

Born to Lose – Nice cleans and guitar work. 3.5/5

Fever Dream – Pretty nice and hard. Nice drums. Loved that ending 4/5

Catatonia – Meh compared to the rest of the album. 2/5

It’s meh. What do you expect?

This is actually a decent review. Like, you actually used more than four words to describe the songs and had a range of more than a single point in your ratings. I disagree with a lot of your ratings but at least you've shown you do know how to express your opinion. Why couldn't Polaris get this treatment? lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Austin Doujin said:

This is actually a decent review. Like, you actually used more than four words to describe the songs and had a range of more than a single point in your ratings. I disagree with a lot of your ratings but at least you've shown you do know how to express your opinion. Why couldn't Polaris get this treatment? lol

Polaris is good. Amity is another level....

• Upvote 1

Excited about this

My music is available for free on this site and @ widowswail.bandcamp.com

I really don't want to be the "oh the old TAA was better" type of guy and I do hope some people love the new sound and all....

But damn, I really have a hard time understanding how they went from Youngbloods, Chasing Ghosts and LTOTM to this pop sound stuff.

I grew over them, i guess.

8 minutes ago, filoufelin said:

I really don't want to be the "oh the old TAA was better" type of guy and I do hope some people love the new sound and all....

But damn, I really have a hard time understanding how they went from Youngbloods, Chasing Ghosts and LTOTM to this pop sound stuff.

I grew over them, i guess.

TCBH marked the start of their transition to soft and poppier songs. It's also a breakup album....

I'm not saying, I'm just saying

6 minutes ago, Austin Doujin said:

TCBH marked the start of their transition to soft and poppier songs. It's also a breakup album....

I'm not saying, I'm just saying

Very true!

Everyone Loves You Once You Leave Them Review

Coffin: Love this opening track builds a lot of atmosphere and sets the tone also the drop in this is one of my favorites simple but hits hard 5/5

All My Friends Are Dead: I LOVE THIS SONG! Probably one of Amity's heaviest songs they've done with a little bit of the Misery sound and the blend in my opinion works beautifully here 5/5

Soak Me In Bleach: This one I didn't know how to feel at first when it came out but the more I listened to it the more it grew on me. I love the piano Melody on this along with the super catchy melancholic chorus, this one once again does a great job of blending the sound of Chasing Ghosts and Misery together and is one of the best songs on the album. 5/5

All I Do Is Sink: I like this song aside from the build up to a breakdown and then no breakdown other than that this one is solid. 3/5

Baltimore Rain: Another really great track and one of my favorites on the Album pretty good guitar solo in this and pretty catchy chorus. I also like the dark synths on this, another track that does really well blending their old and new sound together. But unfortunately it still just doesn't match the level of AMFAD or SMIB for me. 4/5

Aloneliness: I like when everything comes together at the end but aside from that this song is listenable nothing per say bad but nothing great either. It's really catchy I'll give it that but it's not a song I enjoy having stuck in my head. 2/5

Forever: I'd probably like this song a lot more if the production was better it sounds like they wanted the song to sound big like All My Friends Are Dead but for some reason everything feels pulled back which makes the song less enjoyable for me. 3/5

Just Like Me: Another one that's not really bad it's listenable but it's just kind of boring and it's not just because it's Poppy, everything that's being presented here is just meh. 2/5

Born To Lose: I love how this song opens up right in your face and the rest of the song moves along pretty well we FINALLY get another breakdown on the Album and it's pretty good. The only thing that holds this song back as much as I love it is for some reason it has the same production issue Forever has other than that pretty great song. 4/5

Fever Dream: I really liked this song until I realized bare with me this is going to be a weird ass comparison but it sounds like a slowed down version of Big Time Rush's "Til I Forget About You" and ever since I drew that comparison I can't hear the song the same I but before that the song was catchy and solid so 3/5.

Catatonia: GREAT CLOSER but it is terrible they released it as a single as it once again drives home the biggest disappointment about this album. The singles being the best on the Album, this one is as heavy as All My Friends Are Dead with my favorite chorus on the entire album, the words on this one really hit me like a freight train and music backs it up very well. Really wish they would've saved this one for the album but oh well still a killer track. 5/5

Overall this album as a whole is kind of a disappointment. This has some of Amity's best material but also some of their most bland and uninteresting it's a mixed bag and brings down the Album experience. Unfortunately the singles are the best songs on the Album and even the songs that are good don't even come close to the singles. They delivered what they said they were going to do but executed it poorly in my opinion if you love this album more power to you but this one just didn't click with me hoping for better with the next record. 6/10

giphy (2).gif

Coffin: Unexpected to hear from TAA. Solid. - 6.5/10

All My Friends Are Dead: equally unexpected, one of my favorite tracks from this band in the last 5 years tbh. - 7/10

Soak Me In Bleach: a little underwhelming but generic TAA - 6/10

All I Do Is Sink: Incredible track from TAA, true to the standard I hold this band at - 8/10

Baltimore Rain: Extremely disappointing, boring as fuck - 3.5/10

Aloneliness: Literally sounds like a Blue October throwaway track from 2006 - 4/10

Forever: returns to that generic TAA filler track - 6/10

Just Like Me: poppy as hell, big sad boi vibes. Not bad just not my favorite - 5/10

Born To Lose: Feels like it should've been a power anthem, but completely sells itself short. The breakdown saves the song... somewhat - 6.5/10

Fever Dream: I've heard the same progression from this hook several times already. Pretty boring song tbh, hella lazy - 4.5/10

Catatonia: Very similar to All My Friends Are Dead, but I like this song more for the fact that the hook is more than 3 words, reading the apple music description puts the lyrics into heavy perspective as well. Probably my favorite from the album - 9/10

Final Thoughts: not extremely disappointed, but it is sad that I'm at this point with TAA that I'm expecting to be let down. I feel like we all just EXPECT to get mid from them. After reading Joel Birch's commentary I was expecting more passion, more pain, more creative song writing. Expectations were not met. It sounds like this band wants to recreate their 2014 success SO BAD that they've done it for the last 3 ALBUMS SINCE. Tweaking little things here and there to make it authentic enough to be a "new" album. I hope that someone talks some sense into these guys, the lyrics on this album are just cringeworthy, the tone is all over the place and it feels incredibly sloppy. 5/10

• Upvote 1

Nah, not digging this. I don't even know why, but I'm just not interested in listening to this for some reason? 
It feels weird, something's just off about this 'ting' :(

Wish I had liked it more tho, I really wanted to...but I had a bad feeling when the singles came out, and that feeling has been confirmed upon the first listening of the entire record. 

Not the worst overall, but I would say 5-6/10 :'( 

Man I'm so disappointed with this album. It opens with such a damn good heavy track but after soak me in bleach its borderline unlistenable save for fever dream and the non chorus parts of catatonia. I usually listen to these guys for the cleans but they're pretty awful here, and it has to be due to the repetitive nature of almost every single chorus. They're slow, almost single sentences repeated over and over and its mind numbing. Joel's screams are top notch however so I'll give credit where its due. At least with The Word Alive I expected trash, but this hurts honestly. I even loved most of Misery too.

Alright, I have to admit, I've been a little too harsh on this record, I gave it a proper listen in my headphones and yeah, I'm still disappointed, but not that much anymore, when you leave behind the repetitiveness and... boy band parts, it's actually pretty catchy and overall a fun record

Cunts to tease us with Coffin tho

7/10

Not raising it any higher, just as Misery

• Upvote 1

FLAC added!

FEATURED ALBUM • THE COLOURIST // SELF-TITLED • Indie Rock
DOWNLOAD

Album has a few good tracks but I kinda feel like I was tricked by the intro song... it really doesn't set up how the rest of the this album is going to sound, at all.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:36 AM, soaringshade said:

Coffin: Unexpected to hear from TAA. Solid. - 6.5/10

All My Friends Are Dead: equally unexpected, one of my favorite tracks from this band in the last 5 years tbh. - 7/10

Soak Me In Bleach: a little underwhelming but generic TAA - 6/10

All I Do Is Sink: Incredible track from TAA, true to the standard I hold this band at - 8/10

Baltimore Rain: Extremely disappointing, boring as fuck - 3.5/10

Aloneliness: Literally sounds like a Blue October throwaway track from 2006 - 4/10

Forever: returns to that generic TAA filler track - 6/10

Just Like Me: poppy as hell, big sad boi vibes. Not bad just not my favorite - 5/10

Born To Lose: Feels like it should've been a power anthem, but completely sells itself short. The breakdown saves the song... somewhat - 6.5/10

Fever Dream: I've heard the same progression from this hook several times already. Pretty boring song tbh, hella lazy - 4.5/10

Catatonia: Very similar to All My Friends Are Dead, but I like this song more for the fact that the hook is more than 3 words, reading the apple music description puts the lyrics into heavy perspective as well. Probably my favorite from the album - 9/10

Final Thoughts: not extremely disappointed, but it is sad that I'm at this point with TAA that I'm expecting to be let down. I feel like we all just EXPECT to get mid from them. After reading Joel Birch's commentary I was expecting more passion, more pain, more creative song writing. Expectations were not met. It sounds like this band wants to recreate their 2014 success SO BAD that they've done it for the last 3 ALBUMS SINCE. Tweaking little things here and there to make it authentic enough to be a "new" album. I hope that someone talks some sense into these guys, the lyrics on this album are just cringeworthy, the tone is all over the place and it feels incredibly sloppy. 5/10

Solid Review, I'm right with there with you with the album

• Love 1

Yeah... No. Thank you.