967-EVIL

Loathe - I Let It in and It Took Everything (2020)

103 posts in this topic

I'm not sure about this after a few spins, but considering the structure and variety of sound though, I'm sure it's going to be a grower.  I'm interested enough that I'm looking forward to my next listen, which is promising, my favorite albums are the ones that took me the longest to appreciate.  

• Upvote 2

Other Releases by

I Let It And It Took Everything Review

Theme: great introduction of setting the tone and atmosphere for the record 5/5

Aggressive Evolution: Straight banger love the mix of the absolutely brutal and in your faces with the really haunting soundscape sounding chorus 5/5

Broken Vision Rhythm: HOLY SHIT THIS SONG HAS DA GROOOVE I love the guitars in this and the constant switch up that keeps you guessing and continues to punch you in the face one of my big favorites on the Album 5/5

Two Way Mirror: The first slower song on the album love the Deftones influence on this, definitely one of those songs you put on while you're getting stoned and just get lost in the music 5/5

451 Days: second interlude basically Two Way Mirror outro taking you deeper into the atmosphere of the Album 5/5

New Faces In The Dark: this one SLAPS in the same realm of Aggressive Evolution but with a more haunting chorus and even more menacing breakdowns 5/5

Red Room: While this one is short and to the point this has by far the best breakdown I have heard so far this year it's one of those breakdowns that are so brutal you can't help but make a stank face from how fuckin filthy it is 5/5

Screaming: This one takes the melancholy feel of the Album up by 100 and also punches you in the gut at the same time also the atmosphere on this song alone is fuckin amazing to get lost in 5/5

Is It Really You?: The second slower song on the album beautiful song with a soaring chorus, haunting melodies, great guitar work and continue to take you deeper into the atmosphere of the album 5/5

Gored: All I have to say for this one is god Diddy damn this is fucking pummeling and does not let up one second and just when you think they're about to slow things down they kick it up another notch 5/5

Heavy Is the Head That Falls With The Weight of A Thousand Thoughts: love the black metal sounding opening to this after gored punched you in the gut this one curbs stomps your fucking face in also I love the acoustic piece at the end of all this chaos it leads into A Sad Cartoon beautifully 5/5

A Sad Cartoon: This is personally my favorite soft song on the album, straight up sounds like the song could be from the 90's and in my opinion does Deftones better than Deftones 5/5

A Sad Cartoon (Reprise): basically the outro for ASC I count it as part of the song 5/5

I Let It In And It Took Everything: I love this song it has all the styles they've been going for in one song and it truly feels like the end of the album one of the best closers of an album I have heard in a long ass time 5/5

Overall

After letting this album soak in for 6 days I have to say this album front to back is amazing. So many different genres and influences are on this album and they all blend together so well from metalcore to nu metal to shoegaze to black metal to hardcore to alt rock and the list goes on. This is an album I feel you need to listen to front to back even with the interludes it's all so cohesive and everything in the album feels like it matters. This is one of those albums you could put on and find yourself getting lost in. I enjoyed their last album and I knew this one was going to be good I just didn't know it was going to be this damn good. It may be early in the year but this album is a AOTY candidate for sure! This album is a satisfying listen all the way through, it doesn't leave a dark corner unturned and is most heavy, haunting, atmospheric, melodic and beautiful album I have  listened to in a long time. Loathe has truly made a name for themselves with this record and I'm looking forward to what they do in the future. 10/10

Top 5 tracks: Broken Vision Rhythm, Screaming, Heavy Is the Head That Falls With the Weight of a Thousand Thoughts, A Sad Cartoon and I Let It In and It Took Everything

• Love 2

giphy (2).gif

On 2/10/2020 at 1:33 PM, neebnoob18 said:

It's not that good

It's just a bunch of sounds

It's a mess with speakers

I'm gonna keep listening to it

I want to like it. I never really give a definitive opinion until I've given it more than a few listens

yeah this is gorgeous.  the bass and guitar tones are filthy,.. I can't decide which I like more; the slower, dreamy songs or the technical riffy songs.

• Upvote 1

Woah a lot of hype for this, the fandom for this is insane. I too was excited to finally get around to this but overall my thoughts afterwards were just "meh".

Just so I don't seem like a straight up hater I'll say I enjoyed their last album way more, I remember it had that raw energy that makes you want to hear more from a band, and to me remains superior in practically every way. This basically sounded like a shittier Deftones 2.0 that just happened to occasionally lean more towards metalcore instead of alternative/nu-metal. Other than "Aggressive Evolution" the songs I did manage to enjoy were because they successfully managed to pull off that aforementioned "Deftones" sound, which I will add when done, is done very well.

At the end of the day it was quite underwhelming, and nothing I haven't heard done better decades ago. Let the downvotes commence.

• Downvote 1

I finally got around to this album, I haven't had a prior experience with Loathe so the hype was lost on me. This isn't my usual cup of tea so it took me a couple spins to really get into it. Overall it's hard to rate this as just an album, cuz that's not what this is. I Let It in and It Took Everything is an experience. There are very few songs in here I could pick out and say yeah I can put this in a playlist. The true effect of what Loathe brought to the table here can only be had listening front to back. 

The atmosphere is phenomenally good. The entire album is so haunting and raw that it feels like it's taken you to another dimension, trapped in the beauty and grind of it all. I was honestly reminded of Dear Old Friend by The Plot in You at some times. Personally though, there were very few tracks I genuinely got into - and those are 90% just the shoegaze songs. So personally it's like a 6/10. Like I said, it's not my cup of tea but there's no denying this is an incredible record. I can see why others would call this a masterpiece. 

Favorite tracks: Two Way Mirror, Screaming, Is It Really You?, A Sad Cartoon

• Upvote 1

This album gets better with every listen. So many nuances and my favorite song changes with every listen. My favorite so far this year. (Only Feb tho lol)

• Upvote 2

I really want to love this album but there's something about it that sounds off. Like my speakers are blown or something. It's all super distorted sounding and it kinda kills it for me.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I had no idea Vincente Void was on the title track. Thats fucking sick (one of my favs as well)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Unbenannt.PNG.608ad8c221b6dcec8081cab805b2cf99.PNG

safasf.PNG.e0506e2343bf8ef53aad43fb48ead36c.PNG

On 3/3/2020 at 1:14 AM, Spectromeda said:

I really want to love this album but there's something about it that sounds off. Like my speakers are blown or something. It's all super distorted sounding and it kinda kills it for me.

Really? I think the mix and production are spot on, personally. Everything sounds fine on my end, rather it's the low end or the shoegazing. Hope it grows on you at one point, this album is worth it.

The purest, non-conformist jaded subhuman terrorist.

10 hours ago, Edgekrvzher said:

Really? I think the mix and production are spot on, personally. Everything sounds fine on my end, rather it's the low end or the shoegazing. Hope it grows on you at one point, this album is worth it.

I have a previous comment here praising the album, stating in the running for AotY. The entire sound of it all though I just don't know. I have plenty of shoegaze albums and am more than well aware that heavy distortion is a part of it, but it's like an added layer on top of that. Like a blanket layer of distortion on top of everything else, throughout the entire album. I hear the same thing in quite a few modern albums actually, not just this one. Sorry, I don't know how to explain it any better. Just what I'm personally hearing and it bothers me. I have no problem if others don't hear the same thing or don't agree. :)

• Upvote 1

What a treat, we don't see the melon review metalcore too often

On 3/12/2020 at 12:50 AM, neebnoob18 said:

What a treat, we don't see the melon review metalcore too often

Not to mention, Pitchfork gave this album a 7.8/10. Pretty reasonable scores, even if mine is higher.

• Upvote 1

The purest, non-conformist jaded subhuman terrorist.