mR12

Halsey - Manic (Target + Japanese Deluxe) (2020)

70 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

I want to listen to this album but have 0 motivation because of how damn long it is. I don’t get why artists in pop and hip hop do this so often. Nobody wants to sit through a 16 song album. 

what if it was The Acacia Strain

Other Releases by

5 hours ago, David_Chozet said:

It's good, but doesn't top Hopeless Fountain Kingdom, still haven't listen to her debut album.

Badlands>>>>hfk 

100%

Even though Alone and Sorry are my fav songs by her after Nightmare

Someone cop those 3 extra tracks from the overseas versions of the album.

DBAD17F9-571C-44FE-AA7A-DE983B683BFD.jpeg

• Love 1

20181026_wss_header_desktop.jpg

2 minutes ago, Taylor Swift said:

YES PLEASE

1 hour ago, Taylor Swift said:

Omg yes

It's growing on me. Really enjoying 3am, Alanis' Interlude and You should be sad. You can feel the emotion, similar to her version of I walk the line and the end tracks on room 93. 

I'm missing "Nightmare" in this, still a pretty solid album, if you play in the right order it'll be a lot enjoyable because of the interludes.

Not as good as Badlands but still beter than HFK.

3am and Without Me are my favs.

• Upvote 1

so many good tracks. god i love her

Just now, Jackson said:

Still needing track 19

show some respect for these two.. 

japanese edition is still to be leaked

3 minutes ago, original_lifeline said:

show some respect for these two.. 

japanese edition is still to be leaked

I'm just saying. I already love those 2

• Downvote 3

too much filler bullshit, why these pop artists pretend to be next level thing, just release 10 decent tracks and be done with it lmao

@Jacksonread first 4 words again i guess what else to tell you

• Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, LinaK said:

too much filler bullshit, why these pop artists pretend to be next level thing, just release 10 decent tracks and be done with it lmao

And your point js?

• Downvote 1

added the target deluxe bonus tracks as a separate download.

01. Ashley

An interesting choice for the opening track to be sure. It sort of reminds me of a more emotional demo of "Nightmare". I like the distorted drums and the distress in her voice during the chorus, it's pretty alright. The title of the song is also quite fitting, considering the personal nature of this album.

6.5/10

02. clementine

More than anything else on this track, I connect to the lyrics first and foremost. The screamed backing vocals during the chorus that have the slightest hint of playfulness make me want to get up and dance rebelliously, but the overall sound makes me want to slump down in a recliner and cry, and it's such a wonderful contradiction. This song grew on me a LOT since I first heard it as a single.

8/10

03. Graveyard

This was definitely my favorite single out of the 6 that were released for Manic. The bouncy but impactful drums meld together so well with the electronic "doot"s that pop in and out, and it all harmonizes wonderfully with the wavy synths, as well as Halsey's beautiful melodies and catchy yet thoughtful lyricism.

10/10

04. You should be sad

The lyrics are so, so, SO amazing in this song; in fact, I'd say they're some of her best yet. So, it kinda sucks that they were wasted on this wannabe Miranda Lambert country tune. Admittedly, this track did grow on me a bit since I first heard it as a single, but I personally think Halsey should just... stay away from the country genre. Now I know what you're thinking: "But Cornchip!!!! This song wasn't THAT bad to the point that you never want her to touch country again, was it??!?!!??" And to that, I would say: "No! Now get out of my house." This song could've been much worse, and like I said, it did grow on me! Rather, it was a different song that surfaces much later in the tracklisting...

6/10

05. Forever … (is a long time)

This song is just... *muah!* Beautiful! Magnifique! The lyrics are poetically godlike, and the somber piano accompaniment is PERFECT for this song in particular. And, oh boy, when the piano pitch shifts slightly, and that outro hits with those abrupt glitch effects? Wow.. Just... No words. What a gorgeously tortured track.

10/10

06. Dominic's Interlude

Thinking back to when the tracklist for Manic was revealed, I was pretty stoked to see Dominic Fike having his own track, and holy shit did he crush it!! This is absolutely phenomenal for an interlude; it reminds me of the much sought-after "LET'S GET MARRIED" demo by BROCKHAMPTON (which makes sense, as Dominic works with the group frequently). My only complaint is that I wish it was a full-fledged song instead of just an interlude.

8/10

07. I HATE EVERYBODY

Bringing back the "LET'S GET MARRIED" comparison, as this song transitions flawlessly from "Dominic's Interlude", this is like if Halsey took that song for her own use and adapted it to her own liking. Needless to say, this orchestral, grandiose, massively-scaled revelation of learned isolation is the fucking CENTERFOLD of this album. Holy shit. I'd give it an 11/10 if I could!

10/10

08. 3am

"I need it digital, cuz baby, when it's physical, I end up alone" is one of the most definitive lyrics to describe a generation that I have heard in a very long time. What a fucking banger of a song, an absolute goddamn jam! It's so groovy and bombastic, and you bet your ass it's relatable as hell! Also, I dig the little outro alluding to the next track, which we all know as...

8.5/10

09. Without Me

With how catchy this track sounds and how petty but powerful the lyrics are, it's no wonder this song is her biggest hit yet! I don't really need to say much more, as everyone's heard this single by now, more or less.

7.5/10

10. Finally // beautiful stranger

Okay, sooo.. Remember in the "You should be sad" section, when I said there was a song later on in this album that made me believe Halsey has no right to attempt making country songs ever again? Yeah. Well. This is that song. It's so fucking soppy, boring, and uninspired that it manages to sound like a B-side from Taylor Swift's early work, in the worst way possible. Not only that, but it ruins the tone of the album as a whole.

4/10

11. Alanis' Interlude

Well, hello there, esteemed singer/songwriter/producer/actress Alanis Morissette! What are you doing on Halsey's album? Just a nightly stroll around the musical block? Okay. Alright. What an unlikely combination that I would've never been able to call in a million years. I can't say that I don't enjoy it, though! Much like "Strangers" from her last album, where she paired up with Lauren Jauregui, these two ladies mesh exceptionally with their different vocal styles and inflections! Not to mention the melodies are SICK. Halsey should really collaborate with more female artists in the future!

7.5/10

12. killing boys

On first listen of this album, I didn't understand the critiques being made that the second half of Manic was much worse than the first. But after several listens all the way through, I slowly began to realize... they were right. This song honestly just sounds like a darker version of Ellie Goulding & Kygo's "Close To Me", which I cannot stand after hearing it countless times on the radio.

6/10

13. SUGA's Interlude

I take it all back. Album of the decade.

100/10

...Nah, just kidding. Seriously though, I don't particularly enjoy K-pop all that much, so I didn't know how I was gonna feel about this track upon first listen. But, man, am I glad to have been wrong! The ambient, atmospheric, and almost ethereal piano chords and guitar riffs suit not only Halsey's gorgeous vocal performance, but surprisingly enough, SUGA's quick and choppy verses as well. The collaboration is executed much greater than it sounds on paper, and it makes me want to go out and seek more K-pop to listen to, despite my unsuccessful attempts to enjoy it in the past. Color me impressed!

9/10

14. More

I honestly don't know what to make of this song. Every single time I listen to it, I just start crying, so that's probably(?) a good indicator of how emotionally provoking it seemingly aims to be. But on the other hand, it's SUCH an amazing song that I want to listen to it, even if it costs my emotional availability. Soooo... I'm conflicted.

EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWN/10 (8/10)

15. Still Learning

A dancehall song? Uhh, sure, Halsey... I guess. It's alright? It's catchy, I suppose... Eh, not much to really say about this one. Just generic radio schmaltz.

://10 (5.5/10)

16. 929

This is a cute little ditty, and the instrumental is nice and airy. It feels almost like a breath of fresh air after the rollercoaster that is Manic. To be honest, with the lyricism here being as jaw-droppingly personal as it is, I think it's the perfect closer to such an exposing and naked album that wears its heart on its vinyl sleeve.

7/10

FINAL VERDICT: 7.5/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: I HATE EVERYBODY, Forever … (is a long time), Graveyard, SUGA's Interlude

LEAST FAVORITE TRACKS: Finally // beautiful stranger, Still Learning, killing boys

• Upvote 1

klsig.png.729dbece4a6cd4d8ccf4d56b60aa08e2.png

I wouldn't necessarily bother with the first five songs (except Graveyard), but once you get to track 6 and beyond, this album is fucking amazing. Give it a chance, I'm beyond words. Only disappointment is lack of Nightmare. Solid 8/10 of an album even without it.

Favorites: More, Finally // beautiful stranger, 3am

Least favorites: You should be sad, clementine

On 1/16/2020 at 7:47 AM, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

I want to listen to this album but have 0 motivation because of how damn long it is. I don’t get why artists in pop and hip hop do this so often. Nobody wants to sit through a 16 song album. 

Yea a half-assed, showing an artist or band lack creativity to come up with anymore than 10 tracks, 30 minute long album is sooo much better.. :D Moron.

• Downvote 1

Thanks for posting!  Love this site, find a lot of music I wouldn't normally think of/listen to (though Halsey is probably more of a household name than I realize :blush:).

Lots of cool songs here, for whatever reason 'Still Learning' is the only one that stuck with me at the moment.  Super catchy mellow song, an easy listen.  Feel like I'm picking the less popular songs from here but I like 'Ashley' too, great chorus.  The spoken part at the end is cheesy af though.

I'm sure the other songs will quickly grow on me.

1 hour ago, original_lifeline said:

why does it take so long to leak the japanese track?... gosh

I know right?

2 hours ago, original_lifeline said:

why does it take so long to leak the japanese track?... gosh

7 minutes ago, Jackson said:

I know right?

i looked pretty much everywhere and still haven't found it, im guessing it'll be another week or two.

yr also free to order your own and leak it

• Confused 1

Just now, serafina said:

i looked pretty much everywhere and still haven't found it, im guessing it'll be another week or two.

yr also free to order your own and leak it

I've already ordered it without your advice, thank you very much

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

Wow this a really great album! Each song stands on its own and has their own personality. Lots of great energy on this record and it’s a lot of fun. Lots of raw expression on here and I’m loving it. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, original_lifeline said:

done

Appreciated thanks 

• Love 1