mR12

Poppy - I Disagree (2020)

50 posts in this topic

I had a friend show me Poppy for the first time when I was wasted. Showed me the Concrete video. I thought it was the trippyest thing I had ever seen. Long story short I like Poppy now. It's actually pretty good when you listen to it enough times.

• Upvote 1

Other Releases by

15 hours ago, Juandissimo said:

Nah, you didn't have to point it out.

It was for the pun buddy. Have a sense of humor. I'd have made a pun if one of the dudes had a boner too.

01. Concrete: I had known somewhat about Poppy's YouTube persona when it first went viral years ago, but I had no idea she had a musical career until Scary Mask (feat. FEVER 333) released. I thought it was one of the coolest songs I had heard in a long time, but I never really got into Poppy fully until I heard Concrete. The riffs are fantastic, the Beatles-esque bridge is absolutely wonderful with a feeling of nostalgia, and the outro.. it just gives me goosebumps. This opening track sets the mood for the rest of the album very well.

9/10

02. I Disagree: The chanting of the Japanese phrase "私はあなたに同意しません" (pronounced 'Watashi wa anata ni dōi shimasen', literally translated to 'I disagree with you'), the chorus, the lyrical message in general.. every aspect of this song makes me want to call 911 and ask, "What's your emergency?" This track is badass and serves well as the track the album is named after, as it envelops Poppy's ideals and feelings towards the music industry, which much of this album focuses on.

8/10

03. BLOODMONEY: Holy SHIT. Now THIS song fucking slaps. The constant distortion of the wall of noise along with the yelling of the phrase "back for forgiveness from Jesus to Christ" would have been enough to automatically make me add this to my angry playlist, but then the outro with that goddamn solo, and the subdued singing is just... UGH. Wow. No words.

10/10

04. Anything Like Me: This track reminds me of a mix between Billie Eilish's "bury a friend" and Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People" because of its verses and chorus, respectively. I could totally see this playing during an intense scene in an action movie, or maybe a trailer for a new installment in the Call of Duty series. "You shouldn't be anything like me / You'll never be anything like me" is such an incredible chorus. But, as beautiful as the second half is, the tonal shift is just too jarring and the song isn't weird enough to embrace that, like Concrete is. I wish it would've slowly transitioned into that style instead of just cutting to it suddenly, which I know is a weird complaint for this album.

7.5/10

05. Fill The Crown: It certainly is a shame that the chorus is so short and forgettable in this song, because it's my favorite part of it. The glitchy electronics and squeals in the instrumental got me feelin' some type of way... Otherwise, the verses are alright, but I prefer Poppy's over Ghostemane's (though that's not to say his verses were bad).

7/10

06. Nothing I Need: I really adore the instrumental on this one, especially about halfway through when you can hear some acoustic guitar hidden deep in the mix somewhere. The singing is pretty as usual, but the lyrics are uninteresting and it doesn't really serve as anything more than a nice, relaxing tune. I could see this more as an interlude, as previously mentioned.

6/10

07. Sit / Stay: Uhhh, helloooo? Tokyo Drift? Also, what a strange fucking time signature! I dig it anyway, though. "Godspeed to the radio star / Stop the beat when they take it too far" is one of my favorite lyrics from the entire album, and the outro sounds like a techno remix of Bring Me The Horizon's "A Devastating Liberation".

7.5/10

08. Bite Your Teeth: I think we all know what there is to say about this song. What an experience.

10/10

09. Sick of the Sun: A lot of people have been complaining about this track because it's out of place with the rest of the track listing, but I don't give a shit! I teared up listening to it!! The lyrics are god-tier and the guitar strums paired with the harmonic vocals are just gorgeous. It's very reminiscent of Imogen Heap or The Japanese House at the end there.

9/10

10. Don't Go Outside: God Almighty, my expectations have been blown the fuck out of the water. I had a feeling it was gonna be great as it's 6 minutes long (I have a soft spot for long-form songs), but I never expected a closer of this caliber. The main riff in the song sounds almost identical to Pink Floyd's "Hey You", which I have a soft spot for. Also, the original lyrics on their own are just lovely, but bringing back lyrics from I Disagree, Fill The Crown, and Concrete for the outro is fucking genius as well. Immaculate work.

10/10

OVERALL SCORE: 8.5/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: BITE YOUR TEETH, DON'T GO OUTSIDE, CONCRETE, SICK OF THE SUN

LEAST FAVORITE TRACKS: NOTHING I NEED, FILL THE CROWN

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

corn.png.d48f3a7d4515ab7ce8f058763bf1d283.png

Gimme a taste of that 320 

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed it and so far, after the first listen I think that the title track is the weakest along the tracklist. It's a 9/10 for me

320 added!

• Upvote 2

johnny booth.gif

I hear a bit of Crystal Castles influence in this album for some reason! I dig it.

Really liked I Disagree (the song), not sure why I was looking so forward to this. I'm not necessarily disappointed, but it's not what I expected at all. Sick of the Sun is relaxing as fuck though. It's a 7/10 from me.

First two singles were cringy gimmicky garbage.

BLOODMONEY is a fucking bomb.
Anything Like Me is awesome, love the shoegaze/dreampop sound and the outro just fucking bangs.
Fill The Crown has really cool electronics and pretty catchy chorus. Not terrible, not great but fun to listen to.
Nothing I Need is another dreampoppy song that is pretty great as well.
Sit/Stay is very good, love the synth and ethereal parts, not a huge fan of the chorus but I can see this one grow on me after few relistens. Love the outro. 
Bite Your Teeth is fucking awful.
Sick of the Sun is arguably best track on the album, love it so much. She should just stick to dreampop, it works so well.
Don't Go Outside is a pretty great closer and the groovy guitars reminded me of Silverchair. Second half of the song works much better than what she did earlier (you'll see what I mean) which is really cool, but at the same time the song is too long and the risk of getting bored of it quickly is really high.

10/10

AOTY 2020

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Every day is a summer vacation
Speed King.jpg

Didn't know anything about this artist heading in so this opinion is based solely on the music presented on this album. First off how this is in the metal category is beyond me, I'm assuming its because of a few ADHD inspiring snippets of breakdowns and blast-beats. In fact this album is all over the place, sometimes surprisingly well done, often though it devolves into a completely disjointed mess and thus turns whatever few moments of enjoyment into displeasurable garbage. Two songs were worth keeping (Sit/stay & Dont Go Outside) so it wasn't a complete loss, just not my thing.

• Upvote 1

The pop to blegh breakdown is fucking amazing.

This is a very fun and entertaining album imo. Songs like Concrete and I Disagree are gimmicky like people are saying, true, but I'm enjoying myself while listening to them, which is fine imo. But then there are other ethereal tracks like Sit/Stay, Sick of the Sun, and Don't Go Outside, which, like @desk pointed out, have beautiful outros that really add to the songs and the album overall. Add Anything Like Me to the list of dope outros too. It also shows the amount of thought put into the songs which is always a bonus. Fill the Crown and Nothing I Need are probably low points; they aren't awful but they just don't do much for me. I wasn't expecting a perfect album though, nor an album this good, however. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the trip of a track in Bite Your Teeth which is a little messy but is a great time with parts both visceral and perfectly atmospheric. The album is a bit all over the place, but I think there are multiple cool elements that add to the listening experience, and has made this a sleeper hit for me, as well as a welcome strong start to 2020. I can't give this less than a 7.

Favorites: Concrete, I Disagree, BLOODMONEY, Sit/Stay, Bite Your Teeth, Sick of the Sun, Don't Go Outside.

Least Favorites: Fill the Crown & Nothing I Need

Just going to paste my review here from rym. 

I'll be completely honest here--I really loved 2018's Am I a Girl?; it felt like Poppy was carving out her own sound and I highly enjoyed the use of bubblegum bass with more contemporary pop genres like dance-pop. To address the elephant in the room, yes, I even liked the alt metal songs. They were mostly kept separate and still held their own for the most part.

So, why am I telling you all this? Well, I believe that I Disagree is in every way a step down from Am I a Girl?.

Here we see Poppy incorporating even more elements of metal into her sound, but that's not necessarily a good thing; most of it is just generic nu metal chugging or industrial metal that sounds like Static-X. Not only is it more generic, but it is also jarringly woven into the more poppy songs where she'll have a chorus with heavy guitars and some uninteresting electronic bits that just become grating.

The worst offender here is Fill the Crown; god, Ghostemane makes this track unbearable. He attempts his own Marilyn Manson impression and it sounds completely forced and unnatural within the context of both the song and the album in general. Even without him this song is still wholly boring whilst also being obnoxious as hell.

Now, maybe I would enjoy the dream pop bits that go along-side the metal ones if it weren't for the production being so stale and generic. Seriously, nothing sounds energetic or really pops out here, it all just falls flat on its face because it's so boringly produced and mixed; the only thing here I would call remotely interesting are the power noise-inspired beats on Bloodmoney, but even then it only lasts for one track before going right back to the sterile sounding pop metal.

Unfortunately this album fails to appeal to me whatsoever due to the disjointed nature of the metal elements, forced "experimentation," watered down pop sections, and straight-up being either boring or infuriatingly tedious--which, for an album that's barely more than 30 minutes long, is an astonishing testament to just how awful this album is.

I really wanted to like this record, but it seems that Poppy is continuing to trend hop and water her sound down further and further, straying away from what was initially somewhat unique and interesting, but also completely fun. Huge disappointment.

• Upvote 1

ASREFBHLKEYUIZBYRDFEF I LOVE FOXES

ezgif-6-e69b989195bc.gif

Im only here for Bite Your Teeth

tumblr_mb34zsMLZ51r74zpdo1_500.gif

The single are all dope af. Can't wait to hear the whole thing seen them live with BMTH and SHE KILLED IT.

~K!zL

First two singles were cringy gimmicky garbage.

BLOODMONEY is a fucking bomb.
Anything Like Me is awesome, love the shoegaze/dreampop sound and the outro just fucking bangs.
Fill The Crown has really cool electronics and pretty catchy chorus. Not terrible, not great but fun to listen to.
Nothing I Need is another dreampoppy song that is pretty great as well.
Sit/Stay is very good, love the synth and ethereal parts, not a huge fan of the chorus but I can see this one grow on me after few relistens. Love the outro. 
Bite Your Teeth is fucking awful.
Sick of the Sun is arguably best track on the album, love it so much. She should just stick to dreampop, it works so well.
Don't Go Outside is a pretty great closer and the groovy guitars reminded me of Silverchair. Second half of the song works much better than what she did earlier (you'll see what I mean) which is really cool, but at the same time the song is too long and the risk of getting bored of it quickly is really high.

10/10 would copy and paste again

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

This is the first time I've listened to Poppy, I must say it's very interesting how she mixes pop with metal/industrial and other genres. I like it honestly, very funky, weird transitions, heavy, dark, very different. 

• Upvote 1

I finally listened to this last night and oh my god it is so good. The first 4 songs were all great. The rest needs to grow on me a bit. But still this is definitely a great album that I see myself coming back to a lot (more than Rare & Manic at least lol)

4/5

FAVORITE TRACKS: Concrete to Anything Like Me

LEAST FAVORITE: Sick of the Sun

• Upvote 1

thanks