Lord Kingdom

Harry Styles - Fine Line (2019)

21 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

the song itself "fine line" it's something that i MUST hear in the top of some random mountain someday

• Upvote 3

wow. i did not expect such a beautiful album from harry styles. admittedly, i never listened to his debut (save for Sign of the Times, which everyone has heard), but this album makes me feel so many great things. and yes, there are lows, but the highs are HIGH and almost completely forgive the lows.

=====

1. Golden - 7/10

not a bad opener to the album. definitely sets the upbeat precedent for the following tracks. not much else to say.

2. Watermelon Sugar - 10/10

WOW this song is addicting. heard this song on the radio a couple weeks ago, and the chorus is one of the catchiest i've heard all year. the melodies are nice, the lyrics are fun, the instrumental is cute as hell and very vibrant. it's the only song on the album where i had to replay it before going further cuz it's that damn good.

3. Adore You - 8/10

groovy as hell! the melodies are my favorite part of this song, and the synths and guitar really compliment the track overall.

4. Lights Up - 6/10

as the lead single of the album, had i listened to it prior, it would've turned me off of listening to the full length record. the chorus is pretty alright, but the verses are just weird to me.

5. Cherry - 7.5/10

has elements of bon iver and mumford & sons. very mellow and solemn, the perfect song to listen to first thing in the morning as you're watching the sun rise. second half gave me goosebumps.

6. Falling - 8/10

GOD this song is gorgeous.. very subdued verses that build up to an explosively distressed chorus that makes me wanna cry in the best way. harry can project like a motherfucker.

7. To Be So Lonely - 8/10

i LOVE the instrumental at the beginning!! i started cracking up when it first popped up, but then i got accustomed to it and realized how well it fit. this is my favorite song to sing on the album, the lyrics and melody make this song great.

8. She - 10/10

um.. wow. i never thought a harry styles song would make me feel this alive. that sounds so melodramatic but keep in mind i listened to this album shortly after waking up, around 7 AM. it's 8:15 AM at the time of writing this. i honestly think this is one of my top 20 songs of the year, but i need to listen to this album more. as it is, the instrumental is PERFECT for the vibe, and the chorus is absolutely PHENOMENAL. listening to this track, i was picturing black and white cinematography, filming a detective driving down late night streets after clocking out. best song on the album, hands down.

9. Sunflower, Vol. 6 - 8.5/10

fun dancey song! really upbeat and dreamy, and the groovy guitars during the chorus is my favorite part. it makes me wanna shake my bony white ass LMAO.

10. Canyon Moon - 7/10

reminds me of Vampire Weekend's Father of the Bride album, namely the song "This Life". makes me think of hula dancers on a hawaiian island, haha. it's a nice little tropical tune!

11. Treat People With Kindness - 5/10

i.. didn't wanna listen to this song at all, to tell you the truth. i was only 15 seconds in and that choir just.. did NOT sound right. idk. the outro kinda makes up for it, and the verses are okay, but the chorus is just... eugh. can't stand it. sounds like something my catholic freak of a mother would listen to.

12. Fine Line - 10/10

this song is a PERFECT CLOSER to this album. i really can't say much to describe it, it's just one of those songs you have to listen to all the way through to understand. but god, it's absolutely beautiful. i want to walk along abandoned ocean shores at sunrise, or climb a mountain and look upon all that i've ascended, much like @rxchvrd suggested. it's incredible.

final verdict: 8/10

favorite tracks: Watermelon Sugar, She, Fine Line, To Be So Lonely

least favorite tracks: Lights Up, Treat People With Kindness

• Upvote 5

nice. hoping this is good. the singles were great albeit a tad repetitive—even just as 3-track release—so hopefully the rest is a bit more varied.

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

nice. hoping this is good. the singles were great albeit a tad repetitive—even just as 3-track release—so hopefully the rest is a bit more varied.

it definitely is varied. tropical, coffee shop, mountain climbing, the 60s, 70s, and 80s, all the vibes are here

• Upvote 1

320 added!

5 hours ago, Cornchip said:

it definitely is varied. tropical, coffee shop, mountain climbing, the 60s, 70s, and 80s, all the vibes are here

You were right! The rest is quite excellent. Subverted my expectations entirely.

I love Cherry & Falling, and the coda of She is really great (and pretty 'out there' for your average major-artist pop record).

Sunflower Vol. 6 and Treat People With Kindness are sublime, as well.

This is definitely one of the best pop records of the year; comes from so many angles that it's reminded me of old 2000's indie pop artists, but also classics like Fleetwood Mac.

It's up there with Cabello's Romance for me (not sure how I ended up liking that record as I typically hate Top 40 pop but somehow it really stood out to me).

• Upvote 1

EDIT: god DAMN it the 2 songs i were iffy on grew on me and now Lights Up went from a 6 to a 7.5, and Treat People With Kindness went from a 5 to a 6. i'm so frustrated how could you make such good music harry fuck

• Upvote 1

favorite tracks would have to be Fine Line, Golden, She

Overall a surprisingly good album since I don't consider myself a fan of his

well, this is one of my fav alvbums of 2019.

highlights:

1. Falling
  2. Adore You
  3. Lights Up
  4. Watermelon Sugar
  5. Fine Line
  • Upvote 1

On 12/13/2019 at 1:07 PM, Cornchip said:

EDIT: god DAMN it the 2 songs i were iffy on grew on me and now Lights Up went from a 6 to a 7.5, and Treat People With Kindness went from a 5 to a 6. i'm so frustrated how could you make such good music harry fuck

I was about to say, Lights Up flows much better after a few more listens

• Love 1

I've never been a huge fan of the previous work nor the groups work but this album rips.  I honestly get more hooked each spin... so many growers.  Proudly enjoying a Harry Styles album

Some of the songs on this are straight up incredible, the rest are hit miss, maybe growers. Fucking love Watermelon Sugar, She, Sunflower and Fine Line.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

I'm hooked.
I actually didn't expect this to be more than something I'd call 5/10 but this like 9.5/10!?

Hazza doin it big <3