Lord Kingdom

Sleep Token - Sundowning (2019)

61 posts in this topic

This gives me the biggest forever erection.  

• Love 1

I don't think this is ground breaking like some people do, but I do like some tracks on here quite a bit. I think the best track is The Offspring, so it's a shame that it comes so early in the track list. My other favorites include: Dark Signs, Higher, Give, Gods, and Sugar. But the tracks that aren't my favorites, ones like Levitate and Take Aim, just stall out the album so much imo. I don't love the vocalist either, and I think the lyricism is mostly average, but there are some high points. I think the drumming and overall sonics of the album carry it, and there are some cool musical moments for sure, but the album just didn't blow me away overall. Definitely a solid release though, 7/10ish and it came at a good time in the year, where there's a lull in releases. 

EDIT: I also want to stress that I do think this is indeed a unique album as a whole for most listeners, but it just fails elicit much of an emotional response from me most of the time.

• Upvote 7

Fucking hell are we finally safe from a new single from this mediocre band 5 times a day now that the album's out?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

29 minutes ago, eebledeezo said:

Fucking hell are we finally safe from a new single from this mediocre band 5 times a day now that the album's out?

37A06DA2-9AA6-43CC-B6AD-7A20530054FB.jpeg.4c34aa9215a0ec6d592a752ca5fa2f51.jpeg

- u, today 2019

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JunBringer said:

This gives me the biggest forever erection.  

You mean a...

foreverection

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

This band makes my pp so hard i could go flop it on my drumset and it'd be a different hand to hit one drum while i play the others. The drummer of Def Leppard used to do that since he lost his arm.

The album is amazing. Blood Sport is the best song and the perfect closing track. There is a variety of great stuff here. I actually agree that it isn't "groundbreaking", but it is unique and top-notch music.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lord Kingdom said:

Did I just get memed?

After all the hype you’d think this was a god tier album.

One of the most boring albums of 2019, and I listened to Kanye’s new trashcan of an album.

I see the appeal for Gods and Sugar, but everything else is a snooze fest.

Props to the drummer for carrying the dead weight.

Okay now that you've commented I feel a bit safer on my comment 

This is kinda really boring to me? Like. Everything here sounds bored. And it just fails to make me feel anything

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

this shits like if The National started writing phc and I love it

amazing on first listen and tons of potential to grow

a slow burner though, for sure.  and I'm not loving dudes voice... but he does some interesting stuff with it.

• Love 1

It really feels like there's some sort of identity crisis, multiple personality disorder stuff going on here. The constant cross between songs that want to be soft, ambient, or whatever you might call it, and then bust into heavy ass guitar is really jarring to me. I think they're at their best when they're going hard, it all sounds so sick. But then all the other parts of the song feel like a slightly better Imagine Dragons. I think Gods might be the best representation of this. Super damn heavy, then crosses into something completely different stylewise. I dunno. Nothing blew me away. Higher and The Offering are the tracks that stand out the most, I guess cause they lean most into the parts of Sleep Token I think are the best.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, lapizza said:

It really feels like there's some sort of identity crisis, multiple personality disorder stuff going on here. The constant cross between songs that want to be soft, ambient, or whatever you might call it, and then bust into heavy ass guitar is really jarring to me. I think they're at their best when they're going hard, it all sounds so sick. But then all the other parts of the song feel like a slightly better Imagine Dragons. I think Gods might be the best representation of this. Super damn heavy, then crosses into something completely different stylewise. I dunno. Nothing blew me away. Higher and The Offering are the tracks that stand out the most, I guess cause they lean most into the parts of Sleep Token I think are the best.

Absolutely this. The styles presented on this record aren't intertwined, they are separated into different chunks. One part of a song will be r&b or artsy pop, then randomly there's a djent or prog metal section. Or vice versa and put those in any order. I also found this just... Boring. I've heard this trend of metal meets pop a few times now and the effect wore off after the first time; it's not really sounding new and fresh to me. I mean, kudos to the band for trying something new, but this is just really disjointed and incoherent. I also really don't like the singing; as you mentioned Imagine Dragons but slightly better, that's how I feel about the vocals. I really don't understand if this album is a meme or people actually think it's a gift from god. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

This album literally put me to sleep. This album gives me the same feels as the sophomore effort by Thousand Below and I know how much of a let down that was. Ah well, I can still wake myself up to  bands like Above, Below, Thornhill, Like Moths to Flames, Fit for an Autopsy, Jinjer, Foxblood, Northlane, Void of Vision, The Gloom in the Corner, Diamond Construct, Forgetting the Memories, #12 Looks like You, Oh Sleeper, and hell even the new As I Lay Dying. 

This Sleep Token album was obviously not made for me. But just because my opinion isn't like everyone else's on this album doesn't mean I need to be considered like some pariah. This album just didn't do anything for me. Other than that, hope y'all have a great weekend, cheers!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If you're looking for some cool new metal or rock album that is heavy all the way through and will rock your socks off, this isn't it (and it seems like a lot of people here are looking for that).

If you are looking for beautiful music that crosses genres and brings a new unique sound to the game in a way completely different than all of the other "pop metal" band's like Issues, this is something that you need to check out. The song writing is phenomenal, the drummer is one of the best in the game, the singer has such a beautiful voice, and they have brought a whole new take to the soft/heavy dynamic that a lot of band's have made stale. 

If you like bands that experiment with what it means to be rock or metal this will be your cup of tea. Ffo Deftones, Issues, Black Peaks, Periphery, Tesseract, or if you just want to hear something unique

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, lordofbones said:

If you're looking for some cool new metal or rock album that is heavy all the way through and will rock your socks off, this isn't it (and it seems like a lot of people here are looking for that).

If you are looking for beautiful music that crosses genres and brings a new unique sound to the game in a way completely different than all of the other "pop metal" band's like Issues, this is something that you need to check out. The song writing is phenomenal, the drummer is one of the best in the game, the singer has such a beautiful voice, and they have brought a whole new take to the soft/heavy dynamic that a lot of band's have made stale. 

If you like bands that experiment with what it means to be rock or metal this will be your cup of tea. Ffo Deftones, Issues, Black Peaks, Periphery, Tesseract, or if you just want to hear something unique

Good shout on Black Peaks.  

Very good, if just not album of the year/decade/century/millennium/life. Biggest gripes are some songs don't quite reach their potential and vocals sound rather off here and there. Otherwise, I can dig this band's sound and what they have to offer on this album!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Really was hoping for more in the vein of The Offering. It took me a minute but I was really trying to figure out the guitar tone and the blend of pop vocals with that industrial/djent style. Reminds me a lot of Fightstar's Behind The Devil's Back. In particular if you took the last track, Dive, and pulled the outro into multiple sections of the song like The Offering. Probably could even compare it a bit to Sharp Tongue or Behind the Devil's back track.

Even some of the drum style from Behind the devil's back track itself have a bit of those fills.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, sfdxsm88 said:

Really was hoping for more in the vein of The Offering. It took me a minute but I was really trying to figure out the guitar tone and the blend of pop vocals with that industrial/djent style. Reminds me a lot of Fightstar's Behind The Devil's Back. In particular if you took the last track, Dive, and pulled the outro into multiple sections of the song like The Offering. Probably could even compare it a bit to Sharp Tongue or Behind the Devil's back track.

Even some of the drum style from Behind the devil's back track itself have a bit of those fills.

real talk Behind The Devil’s Back is one of the best albums I’ve ever heard

• Upvote 1

hate to be that guy, but last night during an out of control trip... when none of my go to music sounded right, I had a profound experience with this album.  

would recommend

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, humbleledger said:

hate to be that guy, but last night during an out of control trip... when none of my go to music sounded right, I had a profound experience with this album.  

would recommend

this man needs Jesix

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Maximo said:

real talk Behind The Devil’s Back is one of the best albums I’ve ever heard

truth!!

• Upvote 1

I guess the only thing now is how this stuff is going to be live. Looking forward to seeing them this Friday with Issues and Polyphia.

1 hour ago, Edgekrvzher said:

I guess the only thing now is how this stuff is going to be live. Looking forward to seeing them this Friday with Issues and Polyphia.

I'm finna see em tomorrow 👀

thank you!

Can confirm that this band fucks live. "The Offering" sounds even heavier and "Sugar" sounds even sexier.

i can't believe i didn't listen to this sooner holy FUCK. this is absolutely gorgeous.