xcblackdiamond

Polaris - Masochist [Single] (2019)

32 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

I’m sure I’ll be alone on this, but don’t like this near as much as anything on the last album. 

• Upvote 9

This song started really fucking slow but got much better as it went on. I agree, still not as good as anything else they've done but I'm holding out hope. Hoping for a little less cleans on future songs. 

That artwork is fuckin awesome. Lets check this out.

The chorus reaaaally kills the momentum of this song for me, like every time. I’m hoping it’s one of the more radio friendly songs with this structure. I like it a good amount other than the chorus issue though.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't get most of the comments, personally I'm really glad they changed their formula a little. As much as I liked their last album, it’s always scream / same pitch cleans / scream / same pitch cleans. Those comments could clearly scare off anyone and I don't feel they're accurate, because the ratio of scream and clean is very very very close to their latest release. I don't see much difference... No basic radio would ever even think of putting this song on air. lol

From a viewpoint of modifying their sound to avoid being categorized as a band that release songs that all sound the same, this is a step in the right direction.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I feel this is a great progression from the Mortal Coil this song is right up there with the rest of that God tier of a album and Polaris is probably my most anticipated album for 2020

• Upvote 1

Another band that's proven incapable of writing bad music so far. Can't wait to hear more!

Thank you!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, xcblackdiamond said:

The chorus reaaaally kills the momentum of this song for me, like every time. I’m hoping it’s one of the more radio friendly songs with this structure. I like it a good amount other than the chorus issue though.

Probably the worst and most misinterpreted use of the term "radio friendly" i've ever seen in the history of mankind.

Your local radio station aint playing this one because they couldn't handle how big of a banger this is.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Anyone know when this will be on iTunes? 

This is stupid good. Holy shit

• Upvote 1

Solid metalcore song but this is another band that I think would be better without cleans altogether. Love his screams. 

2 hours ago, Adec21 said:

I don't get most of the comments, personally I'm really glad they changed their formula a little. As much as I liked their last album, it was always scream / same pitch cleans / scream / same pitch cleans. Those comments could clearly scare anyone and I don't feel they're accurate, because the ratio of scream and clean is very very very close to their latest release. I don't see much difference... No basic radio would ever even think of putting this song on air. lol

From a viewpoint of modifying their sound to avoid being categorized as the bands that release songs that all sound the same, this is a step in the right direction.

Completely agree. That’s why I haven’t gone much back to Mortal Coil, because the song formulas in each song were the same and repetitive. This is a nice and refreshing direction for them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

So much for me posting this too. I think we posted the song on here at the same time. 

Trust Kingdom Leaks to have heaps of people bitching about a band dropping an absolute banger of a song. So, bands aren't allowed to change their style, keep their style or actually use their clean vocalist at all. Good to know. Can't wait for the next release where you guys will once again remind us bands aren't allowed to do anything! I'd almost forget to hate good music otherwise.

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Nickexp said:

Trust Kingdom Leaks to have heaps of people bitching about a band dropping an absolute banger of a song. So, bands aren't allowed to change their style, keep their style or actually use their clean vocalist at all. Good to know. Can't wait for the next release where you guys will once again remind us bands aren't allowed to do anything! I'd almost forget to hate good music otherwise.

Can people just have their opinions? What may be a banger to you, might not be to someone else. If someone doesn't like something, who gives a shit? It literally makes zero difference in your life. No need for the passive aggressive bullshit.

• Upvote 3

Good song! I'm more into the heavy/intense side of Polaris, like "Lucid" and "Relapse," but their more melodic side is always nice to break things up a bit. Definitely as moving as Architects when they get melodic as well.

• Upvote 1

holy shit I love this. couldn't enjoy Mortal Coil as much but it had some great breakdowns, Sharptone never disappoints. Gonna love this new Polaris album I thinks :jams:

• Upvote 1

In case anyone wants to read the article released with the video.  They address the sound of the track and I can dig it even more so.  Solid track, hoping for new album details soon. 

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/news/musicnews/polaris-new-single-video-masochist/11677274?fbclid=IwAR1NOkeixLv67Fh4geMjXP8DZMHkMRSl_O1aeHPSeMMFhYycMt9NgIa0lCY

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, candehman said:

In case anyone wants to read the article released with the video.  They address the sound of the track and I can dig it even more so.  Solid track, hoping for new album details soon. 

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/news/musicnews/polaris-new-single-video-masochist/11677274?fbclid=IwAR1NOkeixLv67Fh4geMjXP8DZMHkMRSl_O1aeHPSeMMFhYycMt9NgIa0lCY

Agreed, nice find mate. It really explain very well where they wanted to go with this track. The way they describe this song will also reassure those who thinks it’s too “soft”. hahah

This song is super catchy and lyrically interesting. I'm glad they released this becsuse as much as I enjoyed their previous record, I'd be damn bored of the mortal coil 2.0 real quick 

2 hours ago, Abob33 said:

Can people just have their opinions? What may be a banger to you, might not be to someone else. If someone doesn't like something, who gives a shit? It literally makes zero difference in your life. No need for the passive aggressive bullshit.

Nah the people who just don't like it are fine, I mean how on every single post on kingdom leaks everyone seems to just pile on the artist saying they're garbage now or selling out or can't come up with anything new, ect. Like, I've stopped reading the comments before listening to stuff because people here are so negative it straight up ruins the first listen of albums for me sometimes. Idc if people say it's not their thing it's the purist metal head attitude that bothers me lol

I agree with everyone saying that the chorus is really dragging this song down. Everything else is absolutely fantastic, classic Polaris riffing and energy, the melodic section in the middle is straight fire, and the ending is great. The chorus is really the one weak link but they hit it so many god damn times that it really hurts the song.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, deviationz said:

Probably the worst and most misinterpreted use of the term "radio friendly" i've ever seen in the history of mankind.

Your local radio station aint playing this one because they couldn't handle how big of a banger this is.

A song can be radio friendly and not played on pop stations lol. Ever hear of Octane on XM radio? Also plenty of Australian radio stations play stuff like this. Get educated boy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xcblackdiamond said:

A song can be radio friendly and not played on pop stations lol. Ever hear of Octane on XM radio? Also plenty of Australian radio stations play stuff like this. Get educated boy.

Octane is known for playing songs from hard rock and alternative metal bands like FFDP, Papa Roach, Shinedown, BMTH, and maybe a little bit "heavier" bands with core roots like I Prevail and 'newer' Parkway Drive.

Doubt they would play heavy songs by bands like Polaris or similar bands. Same as your local station, the heaviest stuff you'll hear is Breaking Benjamin. Not tryna take hits at Polaris they're one of my favorite bands.

But I 100% do not understand how that song is "radio-friendly." Mantra by BMTH is radio friendly and is meant to garmer radio play, along with most of TTS. This song ain't that chief.

On 11/6/2019 at 12:24 PM, Adec21 said:

I don't get most of the comments, personally I'm really glad they changed their formula a little. As much as I liked their last album, it’s always scream / same pitch cleans / scream / same pitch cleans. Those comments could clearly scare off anyone and I don't feel they're accurate, because the ratio of scream and clean is very very very close to their latest release. I don't see much difference... No basic radio would ever even think of putting this song on air. lol

From a viewpoint of modifying their sound to avoid being categorized as a band that release songs that all sound the same, this is a step in the right direction.

I see what you're saying, but to me they weren't generic in the sense of "scream, cleans, screams..." There was definitely something special about them that made them stand out among all other metalcore. I am all about bands experimenting but this reminds me of 10 years ago when I was obsessed with ADTR and then they changed up their sound, not to sound cliche but made more mainstream. I know screams aren't basic radio friendly but that's the best way to describe. Anyway, i'm just disappointed after waiting 2 years for this.