By Administrator decision, from now on the main feed will only show latest albums and EPs. The Latest Downloads page is not affected by this change, and additionally a new page called Latest Singles has been added to the Browse menu. RSS feeds are also not affected by this change.
Cosmic Reaper

Thornhill - The Dark Pool (2019)

55 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

On my second spin through and this is easily AOTY, start to finish just unreal. Those cleans mayneeee.

As an Aussie I can't wait to see these guys blow up! Enjoy ya'll!

• Upvote 2

This is sublime. Everything is perfect.

This band sounds like Northlane and Void Of Vision. They are also from Australia. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

#Horny4Thorny

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

And now the day has peaked. I'm ready for my underwear to combust.

• Upvote 2

So good. This is the record I was anticipating the most. Fucking hell Lily and the moon is so unbelievably perfect. I never expected to be so satisfied after listening to a record from this genre that too after so long. These guys deserve all the attention after this. Such a masterpiece and yeah definitely AOTY

• Upvote 2

expected an AOTY and it is exactly that. Might even  be one of the best full length debuts I've ever heard.

• Upvote 1

Hands down my AOTY, and it's not even close. I adore this album front to back. Gonna be listening to this for months.

Great album :)

The epitome of mediocrity in this bland and bloated genre. Nothing here is good, nor is it necessarily bad. It's just there. Everything here is stuff that just follows the exact same formula as bands like Northlane, you can just tell right from the start with the ultra generic drum beat that the album opens with. 

Can't say I'm disappointed because I had no expectations, but it's clear that progressive metalcore isn't going anywhere new or interesting anytime soon.

Same bland, mechanical riffs, same boring sounding drums, same overly clean sound. Nothing about this is engaging save for the vocals, which really are the only thing that stands out here. Even then, it's accompanied by boring instrumentation that follows the same exact formula almost every song, save for maybe one ambient part or two. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Downvote 5

Incredible album. Its my AOTY.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Foxlass said:

The epitome of mediocrity in this bland and bloated genre. Nothing here is good, nor is it necessarily bad. It's just there. Everything here is stuff that just follows the exact same formula as bands like Northlane, you can just tell right from the start with the ultra generic drum beat that the album opens with. 

Can't say I'm disappointed because I had no expectations, but it's clear that progressive metalcore isn't going anywhere new or interesting anytime soon.

Same bland, mechanical riffs, same boring sounding drums, same overly clean sound. Nothing about this is engaging save for the vocals, which really are the only thing that stands out here. Even then, it's accompanied by boring instrumentation that follows the same exact formula almost every song, save for maybe one ambient part or two. 

For an album you thought was mediocre, you sure did have a lot to say.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Confused about the Northlane comparisons - not seeing it.  Actually sounds nothing like Northlane haha.  Anyways, great album.  Melodic and experimental

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, thedisappointinggatsby said:

For an album you thought was mediocre, you sure did have a lot to say.

Because I like to elaborate on my thoughts and opinions on things...? Three whole paragraphs really isn't a lot and I spent it describing why exactly I found it mediocre and unimpressive. I could have added more complaints if I wanted to but I figured it wasn't worth it. Just because I find an album mediocre doesn't mean I can't have elaborate thoughts on why I think this. 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Foxlass said:

Because I like to elaborate on my thoughts and opinions on things...? Three whole paragraphs really isn't a lot and I spent it describing why exactly I found it mediocre and unimpressive. I could have added more complaints if I wanted to but I figured it wasn't worth it. Just because I find an album mediocre doesn't mean I can't have elaborate thoughts on why I think this. 

Looks like you mostly post negative thoughts on this site lol. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DrakeGAC said:

Looks like you mostly post negative thoughts on this site lol. 

No...? Haha

There's been like 7 posts of mine on here that are positive compared to about 3 or 4 negatives ones. I like to post my opinions. I don't see the issue here. 

53 minutes ago, Foxlass said:

Feels like a, "if you don't have anything nice to say..." to me. 98% of people in here are loving this album and your review might as well say, "This is boring music and if you like it you're a boring person".   And like Drake said it seems like a lot of complaining becsuse there's little constructive feedback. What would you have suggested they do differently to make this a better album from your perspective and what direction do you think progressive metalcore should be moving in?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Very promising band. Always thought his cleans sound like the guy from 10 Years, so that makes them really interesting to me.

• Upvote 2

Gonna check this out for you guys

1 hour ago, thedisappointinggatsby said:

Feels like a, "if you don't have anything nice to say..." to me. 98% of people in here are loving this album and your review might as well say, "This is boring music and if you like it you're a boring person".   And like Drake said it seems like a lot of complaining becsuse there's little constructive feedback. What would you have suggested they do differently to make this a better album from your perspective and what direction do you think progressive metalcore should be moving in?

Calm down man, they just expressed their opinion in a respectful manner, even if it was negative regarding the album, so what.  Just because the other 19 comments praise it doesn't mean every one has to like it.  They provided arguments as to why they didn't like it rather than just saying 'this is shit'.   The 'if you don't have anything nice to say' point is stupid because that means only positive comments regarding albums are 'allowed'.  What's wrong with a little criticism?

That being said I enjoy the record, not blown away (because it is another prog Metalcore album like countless others as @foxlass said) but it's very solid imo.

Again, at least 'this album is shit' and nothing else was said. You're pretty much saying, hey 19 other people's comment like it so you must too! 

• Upvote 4

I fucking loooooove this album. I've listened about 4 times already and it's easily top 10 on the year for me. There just aren't any weak points imo. They sought out to make an atmospheric, deep album and they did so perfectly. Coven is the worst song on the album and that was released so long ago. It starts strongly with Views from the Sun being a favorite, and Nurture a great track in it of itself, though not a favorite of mine. Then The Haze, and Red Summer are both spectacular. All The Light We Don't See is a nice little interlude to perhaps the 2nd best song on the album, Lily & The Moon. Human is a favorite too. Then Netherplace is an even better interlude to probably the best song on the album, Where We Go When We die. I just love the overall sonics of the album, the insane vocal performances, both singing and screaming, the array of lyrical topics and the maturity of their representation, and so much intricate guitar riffs that sail beautifully over the Aussie metalcore sound we've come to know and love. This is basically exactly what I wanted from them.

I can't wait to dive into the lyrics a bit more as they get released online, and just really take in the minor accents of each song instrumentally, as well. There's so many little parts to gush about. Like in The Haze at around 1:53, the vocals end and the bass becomes more prominent in the mix, or at least sounds like it with the absence of the vocals, and there's this ethereal riff in the background that also builds up; I only wish that part continued for longer. There's just so many instances like that that make this album great. The Dark Pool gets better and better with each listen and I think it'll continue to do so for many listens. 9/10 at least.

• Upvote 3

Ah shit, i'm sad to say this, but i'm a bit disappointed. It's good, but nothing really stands out for me so far except the tracks I heard beforehand (i.e. Where Do We Go When We Die and Coven which are fucking amazing). They absolutely have the talent to make superb soundscapes and neck-breaking riffage so I have no doubt that i'll be the first on their next albums hype train.

Maybe this one is a grower as well, we'll see, solid effort from the aussie boys nonetheless.

• Upvote 3

just clicked on this cuz it's trending. never heard of this band but the embedded song is intriguing and these raving reviews have me sold

@Anton Chigurh, I know I can't convey tone in text but I didn't mean to come across harshly. I'm totally calm on my end. You're right though, it's not fair of me to frame it as, "everyone likes it and so should you".  Criticism is fine but @Foxlass original critique felt more like negativity and less like critique since there wasn't a lot of insight into where Thorny should've taken the album creatively to make it stand above the other artists in the genre.  

I'm in the same boat as you. I think this is a really well executed album, especially for a debut. Does it push any boundaries technically or creatively? Not really, but at the same time they aren't Northlane or Erra. Those would be insanely high standards for a band to hit on the first go round. I do think this is way more refined and improves upon what they did Butterfly in almost every way.

End of the day though, you're right. Everyone gets their own opinion. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

This album is pure atmosphere. I've never heard a record that made me feel quite like this, I'm absolutely in love. Nurture, The Haze, Lily & The Moon, Human, and Where We Go When We Die are my favorites, but there are really no skippers here.

• Upvote 1

if this is the new generation of metalcore, sign me the fuck up 

• Upvote 5