Michael

Dance Gavin Dance - Blood Wolf (Single) (2019)

43 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

Love DGD and most of their releases but in my opinion, this, Head Hunter & ArSe haven’t been up to par with their previous releases. Mothership felt like the peak of the Tilian era and since then it’s been a decline. Hopefully it grows on me.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 8

I can still love new dgd even though it's samey, this is different enough. I love the 80s pop sample during the "River..." part.

2 minutes ago, Worst Wishes said:

Love DGD and most of their releases but in my opinion, this, Head Hunter & ArSe haven’t been up to par with their previous releases. Mothership felt like the peak of the Tilian era and since then it’s been a decline. Hopefully it grows on me.

Completely agreed.  Songs are still pretty solid and bouncy but that's just it.  Best track off of ArSe was Evaporate and I just wish more tracks more like that in terms of the build and release.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Worst Wishes said:

I dont agree. I thought Mothership was a mess imo. ArSe was definitely had a clearer vision and I liked that.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 1

Insert Hank Hill saying "I'm 'bout to bust" here

The Album art is connected to Head Hunters art. Perhaps this will pan out to an overall album cover for the upcoming release :fap:

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

DGD are so reliable.

• Upvote 1

Damn I love this. I'm glad I hopped on the bandwagon this year. Took me a while but I love the Tillian records out of everything and that's final. I hope they don't switch again. This is so groovy and fun to listen to. Thank you for posting @Michael, the wait was worth it

30 minutes ago, PatientlyDead said:

I thought Mothership was a mess imo

i think mothership had the best back and forth synergy between Tilian and Mess, whereas ArSe was much more straightforward from a structure perspective, seemed like a much less experimental record. Also Man of the Year is one of their best tracks

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Worst Wishes said:

I MOSTLY agree with you there, but personally, ArSe is my favorite album from them so far, followed by Mothership. This and Head Hunter are pretty meh.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, ray102396 said:

I MOSTLY agree with you there, but personally, ArSe is my favorite album from them so far, followed by Mothership. This and Head Hunter are pretty meh.

thats fair, in the end it all boils down to opinions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PatientlyDead said:

I dont agree. I thought Mothership was a mess imo. ArSe was definitely had a clearer vision and I liked that.

Waat? They even admitted themselves that half of ArSe was written as singles. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Hellion6 said:

Damn I love this. I'm glad I hopped on the bandwagon this year. Took me a while but I love the Tillian records out of everything and that's final. I hope they don't switch again. This is so groovy and fun to listen to. Thank you for posting, the wait was worth it

On one hand, Tillian was what got me into DGD but I kind of do want them to switch up vocalists just to see where they can continue pushing boundaries. 

On the other, it sounds like they've really clicked as a group and enjoy it, so I'd see no reason to stop.

Sad to say I have completely lost interest in them, it's becoming rehashed talented wank with no substance or lasting value whatsoever.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, mmfchallenger said:

The Album art is connected to Head Hunters art. Perhaps this will pan out to an overall album cover for the upcoming release :fap:

Nah, Tilian just said on twitter that these are just 2 singles, but a new album in 2020.

53 minutes ago, desk said:

Sad to say I have completely lost interest in them, it's becoming rehashed talentled wank with no substance or lasting value whatsoever.

Funny you comment this on what may be one of their more different songs

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

DGD are one of my very favourite bands, and this song is good because DGD are always good, but it's missing that little bit extra that made DGD so brilliant. Headhunter wasn't amazing, i don't think i've listened to that track once since maybe 3 or 4 days after its release, and this song is probably going to be similar. 

Mothership really spoiled me because that is undniably the peak of the Tilian era, and when that was released i had a horrible feeling that everything after that wouldn't live up to that standard. The interplay between Tilian and Jon on that record was incredible, the music could be rough, soaring, huge sounding and different from what came before, then ArSe came and although it's a great album, it's too samey in parts and is quite slow and methodical in its composition. It's still great, but it's no Mothership. 

Headhunter and this new track feel like a continuation of that to me, rather than them reaching the Mothership highs again. Their new album will be really interesting because no doubt i'll love it and play it a huge amount, but if it isn't as good as Mothership, and follows the same formula as everything that came after it, i wouldn't be able to not be at least slightly disappointed by it. 

Weird feeling tbh. 

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna say it, you all are gonna hate it

But this is not ONLY pretty bad, but also boring, I was never their fan and never will be, but...you do you

• Confused 1

I really can't get into this band, I've tried with so many albums so many times, songs don't speak to me at all

I'll certainly continue to check out their releases, but "it's not my swag"

1 hour ago, Dust of Pain said:

Funny you comment this on what may be one of their more different songs

The funky background instrumental during the verses and the effects on Tillian's vocals is the only memorable part of it, yes. It's still very much the same as most of their recent music as a whole. I think Instant Gratification is their most memorable Tillian album even tho it got bombed by fantanodrones.

• Haha 2

Keep thinking I'm gonna get tired of these guys, but this is pretty good.

6 hours ago, Worst Wishes said:

Bro you do realize they record and release new albums/singles WAAAAY quicker than most bands do, and more often. So i think you can forgive them for not making every single new song a masterpiece (although I really dig these recent singles and ArSe).

Not every new release HAS to "top" their previous releases. Be thankful they provide so much new content compared to most other bands.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Banger as usual.

I like it, but this and Head Hunter pale in comparison to the two Royal Coda singles imo

• Upvote 1

The Creed line absolutely killed me.  These dudes are incapable of putting out a dud.