Cosmic Reaper

Varials - In Darkness (2019)

39 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

Just now, Gvmbit said:

@Nickelback4Life I was gonna get nibbled, but then saw your username and moved on 🤪

Yes because my name is clearly serious.

Yikes.

This band is the definition of monotonous in every way, just like kublai.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 12

Came here for The Love Machine. Sigh. That was my bad. Maybe it's selfish to hope they'd pull a Hundredth and drop the boring monotonous hardcore but hey I still gave it chance. Thanks regardless! Man if I pre ordered this for Romance and The Love Machine I'd be so sad with this lol. Those Deftones/Glassjaw vibes are just so good. Hope they do more with that in the future.

• Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Lonestar said:

Came here for The Love Machine. Sigh. That was my bad. Maybe it's selfish to hope they'd pull a Hundredth and drop the boring monotonous hardcore but hey I still gave it chance. Thanks regardless! Man if I pre ordered this for Romance and The Love Machine I'd be so sad with this lol. Those Deftones/Glassjaw vibes are just so good. Hope they do more with that in the future.

Anyone who has ever heard Varials before were not expecting every song to sound like Romance or Love Machine.

• Love 1

South of one slaps and deathsong is also pretty rad. Dig the album overall. Only gripe is the 3 damn filler songs. 

• Upvote 2

It's really hard for me to see this as a Hardcore genre with the smooth cleans in there. Couldn't enjoy Pain Again tbh, but I will give this a chance, I do like the single.

4 hours ago, Nickelback4Life said:

This band is such a snooze fest.

Yo I sided with you on the Issues thread. But this is where we draw the line bud lol this band is far from a snooze fest

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nickelback4Life said:

This band is such a snooze fest.

ok boomer

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, jbellaire said:

Anyone who has ever heard Varials before were not expecting every song to sound like Romance or Love Machine.

I haven't really, so my opinion sucks probably lol. Sorry bout that. 

• Haha 1

I’ve been waiting three years for this! Can’t wait to jam it. They have such a unique sound for being a hardcore band. Plus the Deftones/Glassjaw vibes are killer and nice interludes between all the madness.

I’ll be posting my review later!

• Love 1

Man after hearing the singles I was super excited for this. Unfortunately, it’s not nearly as good as I was hoping for. My biggest gripe with this band was always their lack of a defined sound and unmemorable style as compared to other bands in this genre, and after hearing the singles I thought they had finally created something that was truly them. The album itself is rather disappointing, and even slightly more uninteresting than their past work. I can see why people may like it, just not for me unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

Man after hearing the singles I was super excited for this. Unfortunately, it’s not nearly as good as I was hoping for. My biggest gripe with this band was always their lack of a defined sound and unmemorable style as compared to other bands in this genre, and after hearing the singles I thought they had finally created something that was truly them. The album itself is rather disappointing, and even slightly more uninteresting than their past work. I can see why people may like it, just not for me unfortunately. 

Really? What didn’t you like about it specifically?

South of One fucking brings it. I really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, nickparisi_ said:

Really? What didn’t you like about it specifically?

It’s very samey, the songs and the writing are pretty static, lots of repeating parts with not a lot of big moments to make for a pay off. It’s very simplistic and could benefit greatly from more experimentation, like the singles did. 

I guess I'm in the minority here but, this is going to be one of my favorite albums of the year. I, surprisingly, want more songs like "Romance" and "The Love Machine".

• Upvote 1

Romance and The Love Machine are really cool tracks but it sounds like I'm gonna be disappointed if I want more of that. Either way, hope I enjoy this record.

31 minutes ago, SickMan_AIC said:

I guess I'm in the minority here but, this is going to be one of my favorite albums of the year. I, surprisingly, want more songs like "Romance" and "The Love Machine".

Mine too! I got a preorder bundle coming soon. Really went all out for this release.

40 minutes ago, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

It’s very samey, the songs and the writing are pretty static, lots of repeating parts with not a lot of big moments to make for a pay off. It’s very simplistic and could benefit greatly from more experimentation, like the singles did. 

That’s totally cool man. I’ll keep that in mind when I make my way through this album after work. I was a huge fan of Pain Again and their debut, so I’m hoping there’s some similarities to those.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, SickMan_AIC said:

I’m in the same boat as you, this was great.

2 minutes ago, dewey duck said:

I’m in the same boat as you, this was great.

Also in the boat with you guys. This and Gideon's new album are going to keep me very busy. At least till Left Behind's new album drops in November!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

People mad a moshcore/metalcore band didn't go full Deftones worship for some reason lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jimblesack said:

People mad a moshcore/metalcore band didn't go full Deftones worship for some reason lol

Hahaha I find this really funny because it's true. They are sticking to their hardcore/metalcore roots, and that's what I like best about them.

But were those two songs a nice touch? Absolutely!

Just now, nickparisi_ said:

Hahaha I find this really funny because it's true. They are sticking to their hardcore/metalcore roots, and that's what I like best about them.

But were those two songs a nice touch? Absolutely!

Yeah it's a nice addition, those songs are pretty enjoyable but it's silly to think a band that pretty much prides itself on mo$h would just suddenly drop it (also most of the tracks they released before the album dropped where like their prior material anyway so what were people even expecting?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jimblesack said:

Yeah it's a nice addition, those songs are pretty enjoyable but it's silly to think a band that pretty much prides itself on mo$h would just suddenly drop it (also most of the tracks they released before the album dropped where like their prior material anyway so what were people even expecting?

Exactly. I'd have to assume "those" people weren't familiar with past releases enough to know that the band is predominately hardcore/metalcore.

There's no way they would drop all that to sound like a Glassjaw/Deftones rip off - I wasn't expecting many other songs in that style anyway.

Had a very difficult time getting into this band. I like how they market themselves but I just couldn't find myself enjoying this record. 

FLAC added!

• Upvote 1