Chrome has marked our site as a phishing site! Help us refute this by reporting this assessment as an error by clicking here. Thanks!
Lord Kingdom

BABYMETAL - METAL GALAXY (Japanese Edition) (2019)

52 posts in this topic

BxMxC is a top 10 tracks of the year level banger

• Love 1
  • Downvote 1

Other Releases by

1 hour ago, NieR:Automata™ said:

Alright just finished it and my thoughts? Better than I was expecting.

First few songs are just your average introduction, nothing special. Elevator Girl is in japanese which is great because the english version is awful, Shanti is great song but holy fuck. Oh Majinai is so god damn fucking awful. Polyphia song was really cool I liked it but then BBAB came which is easily top 5 Babymetal songs for me. Just straight up blew my mind with the kawaii future bass x kawaii metal influence/combination. Or so I thought. NNB was pretty linear but not bad to listen to, alright closer for first half I guess. In the name of starts with this nice choir thing intro (?) which is very nice, it actually reminded me of NieR OST. it's just intro for CD2 that sets up the mood, nothing really special about that song really. Then there are the 2 singles, I miss the old screams on Distortion but it's not like there's that much difference anyway. I was scared Alissa would ruin the song but it's barely noticeable so who cares. And then there's this. There's this fucking song... BxMxC. I think it's safe to say this is my favorite Babymetal song ever. Suzuka raps, there are djenty guitars in background and her flow is insane. I LOVE this song so much. Kagerou is another one I was really hyped for, one of my favorites, followed by the 2 other songs that are really great. Starlight might have gotten diffent mix but maybe I'm just being crazy and hearing the guitars more clearly now. Shine is very nice ballad-y song, way better than the ballads on Metal Resistance. Well and then there's the power metal closer Arkadiam which I thought will be terrible as I hate power metal, but it was actually really nice and felt great as a closer. Much better than I expected as well.

So in conclusion, this album was kind of a clusterfuck of goods and bads, turned out way better than what I was expecting. However... The best songs are the japanese ones. I'll rate this 7/10 purely based just on this japanese version. I would love to see their new album to be in style of BxMxC + BBAB and obviously songs as Kagerou and Starlight (and well, most of the songs from CD2, because these songs are just phenomenal)

So this is what a review should be like.... Smh

Not bad but Metal Resistance still reigns supreme.

Okay yeah, final thoughts: I agree with the "the good shit is GREAT, and the bad shit is BAAAAAAAAD" remark. The problem is that the bad stuff find its way into almost every song. Elevator Girl for instance is harmonically incredible, the lyrics however are truly awful. In The Name Of feels...useless. Babymetal Death as a song is similar in almost every way but one; it's a mostly instrumental cut with some random dude growling, it's heavy and kind of fun, but Babymetal Death was an intro song. This is just...in the middle of the album for no fucking reason. It feels as useless if not more-so than that dogshit "song" with Slowthai on the new Brockhampton album. It's just there to be there, and I don't give a shit about the random guy singing it. I'm here for Babymetal, not Random Guy. Again, as an intro, it works. As a weird interlude, it doesn't.

Kagerou, Starlight, and Shine are the only truly flawless songs on here in my eyes, at least for what the album is. I think so long as they're a duo but still treat Moa as lesser, they'll always be flawed. But I digress, Kagerou, Starlight, and Shine feel like the only songs on here that aren't pandering to the west, as if they were written before they started marketing themselves as hard as they've been. They melodically sound like that unique "Babymetal" sound they came up on. A lot of these other songs are bloated down by useless features, awwwwwwwwfffffuuuuullllll English lyrics (pandering), and otherwise just hooks that are neither catchy nor in their style. BxMxC is a really great song too, but it's held down by the part where the instrumental cuts out and the cheap synth work; it sounds like they wanted to emulate the Mad Capsule Markets again without actually paying Ueda this time, but completely missing the fundamental harmonic structure and quality synth work that makes some of his best produced songs like STUPiG so special.

Like I said, every song besides those that's good has a bad part. Da Da Dance just sounds like them going for Uki Uki Midnight or Iine 2. Future Metal's spoken word intro is embarrassing as hell despite the last half after Suzuka shuts the fuck up being really cool. Elevator Girl again has those awful English lyrics, Night Night Burn has them literally yelling "MAMA MIA!". For others like Pa Pa Ya or Oh MAJINAI, it's just the whole thing that's bad and there's no saving it. The tracklist is overall bloated down by worthless cuts like Pa Pa Ya, Oh MAJINAI, In The Name Of, and the new Distortion.

On the topic of surface-level horny westerner-marketed Japanese girl metal, I think Band-Maid is gonna end up with the better album this year. It seems like Band-Maid has only gotten better with each album while Babymetal have only gotten weaker with each one.

idk, I think if you cut the fat out, you've got another great album, but there's just no ignoring the flaws. Strong 4 to a light 5/10.

Wake me up when Pour Lui pioneers another sub-genre.

• Upvote 1

yup this good

BxMxC is the best track on the album. I feel Oh! MAJINAI comes off as just too silly and is the only track i'm not a massive fan of. if I rate the previous two albums 9/10 this is a 8/10 with only Oh! MAJINAI bringing it down.

On first listen I truly don't know how to describe this album, except that it's kind of like blindly grabbing a handful of candy out of a Halloween bag and eating it all at once. It's so fucking all over the place, but in a way I like. My immediate favorites are Brand New Day (I never imagined Polyphia's sound would mesh so well with Babymetal), Kagerou, BxMxCx, Arkadia, and DA DA DANCE out of the non-singles. Shanti x3, Elevator Girl, and Starlight are all still bops too (never got into Distortion though, it feels REALLY incomplete during the verses). My main gripe with this album is just how much fucking autotune is all over Su's vocals though. I just saw them live a month ago and the girl can sing her ass off and then some, so it blows my mind that they feel the need to drench her voice in so many effects. And honestly, it feels like she's mixed a bit low on some songs too, there's so much going on that her vocals struggle to come through at times.

I think this album is definitely going to grow on me though, even the songs like Oh! Majinai, BBAB, and NNB that didn't really leave much of an impression on first listen. But I'm one of those unabashed fanboys that just really loves how much fun most of their music is, and I appreciate that each of the three albums has a pretty distinct quality to it so far. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Nyeusi said:

where's desk? This is his forte

huh?

• Haha 1

So BM has always been my guilty pleasure, I'm not done with that album but it is def very funny to listen to, as usual

I've been waiting for this for many long months and time has finally came, this record leaked literally 5 minutes after my heart has been broken to thousands of pieces and now I'm listening to it crying tears of sadness and happiness at the same time.

Please guys, support this band as much as you can! this is true beauty, already pre-ordered my bundle.

Peace brothers <3

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, スカムです said:

I've been waiting for this for many long months and time has finally came, this record leaked literally 5 minutes after my heart has been broken to thousands of pieces and now I'm listening to it crying tears of sadness and happiness at the same time.

Please guys, support this band as much as you can! this is true beauty, already pre-ordered my bundle.

Peace brothers <3

good luck fam

weebroes before hoes

Too much autotune and other electro stuff going on, not enough metal. They try so hard to be legitimized as a metal band, play metal festivals, appear in metal magazines but then release their poppiest album to date, it makes no sense. 

There are some great moments on the album though, like BxMxC, Shanti, Kagerou, Da Da Dance, Starlight, Distortion and parts of other songs. The new mix on Starlight is terrible and songs like Pa Pa Ya and Shanti sound out of place because all other songs have this 'future' vibe with synths and stuff. Also, I'm waiting for Arkadia live proshot because the background sounds/choirs are way too loud. ITNO and Future Metal are just useless fillers, they said that they've recorded a few more songs that didn't make it to the album, I'd rather hear that.

The album isn't that great as a whole but there are some great ideas and songs. It's not nearly as creative as the previous two, that's for sure. They're definitely trying to gain western fans at all costs but that's what you get with fabricated bands from talent agencies.

• Upvote 1

Solid album, a clusterfuck of sounds and some songs are so much catchier or just straight up more interesting than others and I would never subject myself to listen through this front to back again but the greatest songs on this are definitely very enjoyable (Shanti, BMC, Brand New Day for example). Still, the band seems to be nicely maturing and finding a better sound with each album drop, which is nice.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

Okay y'all, fixed the tracklist to feel more like an actual cohesive album (especially like their first two) and it's far more palatable like this.

EGdtyI7WoAIHGYt.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

About half of it I like, and the other half I don't like. The last 4 songs are probably my favorite, with Arkadia being my number 1 tbh

Japanese Version 320 and FLAC added!

• Upvote 1

TY for the album!

Yall think there's a chance of the Japanese version hitting US Spotify?😔

I've been listening to BxMxC on repeat for an hour now

Great album apart from the first 2 tracks and some other one :D:like:

It's heeeeeere

Finally getting a chance to listen.

This album is such a mixed bag. Some songs are great, and others I practcally hate, like track 5. Holy shit it's terrible. And it pretty much insults me that they would put an awesome breakdown in the middle of it, especially with the awfulness that came before and after it.

• Upvote 1

everything is pretty fucking great, most to all growers too which I personally like, though, bmc is easily the worst song they ever made. possibly the worst song to come out of an established Japanese artist ever, what an abomination is that. 

• Confused 1

Brand New Day is my favorite song from this album
it's kinda...something new of Babymetal