Summers

The Menzingers - Hello Exile (2019)

33 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

1 minute ago, bananarampage said:

scranton bois represent

Let's get it...giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

Tracklist on the download is in alphabetical order FYI, had to change it to the correct order.

• Upvote 1

HEY

nice.

• Love 1

This too early.

Thank you.

Theres definitely some growers on this one but really loving london drugs portland strain your memory high school friend and the singles.

This is really disappointing. I've loved everything they've put out since On The Impossible Past, but this is just slow and stale. There's no heart anymore. Strawberry Mansion should've been a single.

I've been with these guys long enough to see them put out three game-changing albums and one pretty good album, only to see them drop some really lackluster singles the last year or two. Fully prepared to indulge in what has shaped up to be their blandest album to date. Let's get it.

Still think one of the worst things any band can do is release the first several songs of an album as the singles. It doesn't feel like you're listening to a new album when the album comes out, it feels like a pressure to skip to song 3 here (or in Weezer's case earlier this year, song 5).

• Upvote 2

@TomoLust Last To Know should have been a single, poor Tom lol

1 minute ago, Kumarisai said:

@TomoLust Last To Know should have been a single, poor Tom lol

Relieving to know that there are gonna be Tom songs on here, I was worried he wasn't gonna get anything at all because of all the singles being Greg. Tom is my last bastion of hope for this album to be anything resembling enjoyable.

Damn, pleasant surprise Farewell Youth is a song with actually good songwriting. Can't say that about any of the singles, but this song is actually pretty okay.

7 minutes ago, Kumarisai said:

@TomoLust You'll be sad to know there's only 3

That's...such a dogshit idea. Is Greg just losing self-awareness or pulling a Brian Fallon and trying to take total control? Because he's clearly not aware that his songwriting has gotten really stale.

I'm on High School Friend now and this album really is worse than I could have ever expected. It's literally just ballads, really uninteresting ballads with really generic chord progressions, a lack of any dynamic in the songwriting, super boring hooks, and corny as hell lyrics. These guys used to be fucking poets.

If I wanted to listen to music to crywank to, I'd listen to the albums Drake put out before he got buff.

• Upvote 1

Okay yeah, London Drugs is the only good Greg song here, Tom's songs are great. This is essentially a Greg solo album.

1 hour ago, TomoLust said:

Hello Exile Not Good.jpg

lol did you meme this or did he actually say this?

6 hours ago, killerparties said:

Tracklist on the download is in alphabetical order FYI, had to change it to the correct order.

Oof, did not notice this on my first too listens. Probably not gonna change much, I've heard all the songs now and still only liked about 4 of them, but maybe the right tracklist will be a tiny bit better.

10 minutes ago, Kumarisai said:

@TomoLust Strain your memory is so bouncy tho

Yeah, that one is alright too. Getting a little more enjoyment out of this now that the tracklist is right. I knew they weren't that dumb, something felt off. It's still...easily their weakest album tho. Feels like they're just making music to make music now, out of obligation, rather than to make a statement. OTIP and RW felt like fucking statements, like "we're here, we're taking over" type shit. This and After The Party just feels like obligation to make circlejerky "we're getting older and we still have the same interests our high school selves had" crap.

I’m not gonna waste a whole lot of my breath (like someone else already has), I’ll just say; that a TRUE Menzo fan is going to like this, no matter what. To me, new music from them is like getting a phone call from an old friend-catching up and sharing new stories. They’ve definitely earned my respect over the years, so I’ll continue to give them my loyalty. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

have the track names been updated?

The album plays a little softer than I was expecting. There are a few tracks that pick up the pace, but as a whole, I get a much more relaxed vibe to the album. The album feels very Menzingers-ish, with not a whole lot of surprises thrown into the songs; instead, you get a band more concerned with creating a mood and connection within each track. With a few exceptions, the album is remarkably consistent. The only complaints I find are when I start thinking about how it compares to the band’s past work and how to stack it up against an impressive catalog. It doesn’t have the immediacy that 'After the Party had', but it has a matureness about it that I think will be rewarding on repeated listens.

The closer, “Farewell Youth,” is my favorite on the album. “Farewell youth, I’m afraid I hardly got to know you.” I’d venture this will resonate a lot with others hitting their mid-thirties and feeling like maybe we did grow up just a little too fast.

• Upvote 4

Wow, after the first listen I can say I wasn't expecting it to be that good! 

2 hours ago, kyku said:

The album plays a little softer than I was expecting. There are a few tracks that pick up the pace, but as a whole, I get a much more relaxed vibe to the album. The album feels very Menzingers-ish, with not a whole lot of surprises thrown into the songs; instead, you get a band more concerned with creating a mood and connection within each track. With a few exceptions, the album is remarkably consistent. The only complaints I find are when I start thinking about how it compares to the band’s past work and how to stack it up against an impressive catalog. It doesn’t have the immediacy that 'After the Party had', but it has a matureness about it that I think will be rewarding on repeated listens.

The closer, “Farewell Youth,” is my favorite on the album. “Farewell youth, I’m afraid I hardly got to know you.” I’d venture this will resonate a lot with others hitting their mid-thirties and feeling like maybe we did grow up just a little too fast.

That's actually a really good way of putting it.

6 hours ago, bearseatbeets said:

I’m not gonna waste a whole lot of my breath (like someone else already has), I’ll just say; that a TRUE Menzo fan is going to like this, no matter what. To me, new music from them is like getting a phone call from an old friend-catching up and sharing new stories. They’ve definitely earned my respect over the years, so I’ll continue to give them my loyalty. 

Love too gatekeep

So glad they went further away from emo style of punk rock and more of a indie/punk direction, with of course a bit of heartland rock. I'm new to this band and as of course, let's just take a moment and let this sink in. Punk rock rules, let's dive deeper shall we?

• Upvote 1