Lord Kingdom

Issues - Beautiful Oblivion (2019)

182 posts in this topic

downfall more like uprise amirite 

anyways this album rules, runs circles around headspace and self-titled

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Other Releases by

Wow, what happened? This album has no balls whatsoever.

Anywho, I’m gonna get back to the new Kublai Khan.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

I mean it's not bad but it definetly feels more like the Tyler Carter Project than Issues. Having 2 amazing screamers such as AJ and Sky they had the potential to do something much greater than this

• Upvote 4

Only about halfway through but I'm definitely liking it so far. I agree with a lot of the comments saying that they've always stuck to their guns when it comes to making a musical detour every now and then, and I think it paid off this time without a doubt. Very different than their other albums

Also, thanks Tyler lmao

I'm nervous about this one tbh. I haven't listened to the singles. I loved woe is me - delinquents so much. Issues were really good as well, just nervous. but i'm always nervous.Thanks for this.

100% going to be staying in my top 10 albums of this year damn <3. But I do understand why many dont like this since even tho this has sick riffs and grooves and goes hard as fuck with vibes, it's more of a chill album than a hard one. I love it and I am so happy with this direction. Favourites are Without You, Rain, Downfall and Get It Right

• Love 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

I was gonna say i'm fairly bored with the album and Tyler's vocal delivery as I was still listening to the first six songs or so but the album is extremely backloaded and really picks up and gets considerably more interesting starting with Downfall.

Flexin is unironically one of the more daring and interesting songs in the album and genuinely flies by much faster than nearly anything on it, why didn't they go full retard like that more often throughout? They could've struck gold with that, but they were still scared obviously, maybe next album.

Your Iconic Japanese Alcoholic Drink is quite BEAUTIFUL and I would've loved more songs like this instead of more 6/10 djent pop but still it could've added more elements of what makes Issues Issues instead of just 4 minutes of piano (compare it to Sleepless by Northlane for example, that shit is ballad-y but fucking wild).

Still, I expected this to be a prog.rock Prince/MJ record after all the teasing, but it's just more Issues with less screams but some more interesting songwriting and experimentation here and there.

Like a 7/10 at best tbh, with second half being much better, and considering they lost a vocalist and didn't really utilize the back-vocalists much for this one, it's still probably their most interesting album.

Still, after all is said and done, my sheer enjoyment of this thing as a whole is not that pleasant, some songs are quite catchy or some have very memorable moments, but nothing truly blows me away and makes me want to relisten to a song over and over. :/

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, hamboy23 said:

Did they really basically just rip off BMTH using the lyrics “sugar honey and iced tea??!!” Isn’t they basically the title and lyrics of song off of the last BMTH record??!!! Like what’s the deal with artists talking bout sugar and iced tea am I missing something here?

The phrase was around long before Oli decided to use it for the BMTH song

• Upvote 2

Love it!!!! Love its rythm!!!!

• Downvote 1

ISSUES - Beautiful Oblivion (Album Review)

This is the album that I've been expecting since the first single, I knew it's gonna be weird, experimental and sometimes over the top, what I didn't expect tho, was me liking it so very much, this is probably their most interesting record ever and even tho, they kinda walked away from their screaming sessions...just as their main screamer dumped their butts, album cover indicates that...they knew they had to step onto kinda another territory, this is still a nice listen until oblivion! You can gladly call me retarded or weird as much as you want...

1. Here's To You [5/5] (That intro is like a 90's pop earworm and the djenty spice is such a nice fit...breakbeat, what else, oh yeah, Skyler sing more)
2. Drink About It [5/5] (I cannot get Tyler's sass walk outta my head...every goddamn time I listen to this xD)

3. Find Forever [5/5] (They went all Shrezzers on this one and loooove it, that chant and sax is sex)
4. Tapping Out [4/5] (Interesting how song with screams didn't stand out that much for me, still a great track nonetheless...maybe it will grow on me more)
5. Without You [4/5] (What is this Ne Yo Tyler coming with that rap vocals every once in a while? I dig it, I most definitely do and the chorus is fucking groovy, BMTH rant or just mere coincidence)
6. Rain [4,5/5] (Pace slows down, but the guitars are still fucking low and it's head boppin' shorter track)
7. Downfall [5/5] (Everyone is all about this track and I get why, this is not the pinnacle, but it has everything, it's interesting, it has unexpected twists and so to speak screaming at the end)
8. Second Best [5/5] (Second best is my first best, I love the lyrics, the groove, the interpretation, the chorus, the woa, the punky SECOND verse, I just FUCKING love this track, more of this, shut up)
9. Get it Right [3,5/5] (Most Prince track on the Oblivion track...it's catchy, but gets repetitive, what I like a lot are the background sounds and that heavy twist)
10. Flexin [3/5] (I get it, it's a joke about pop scene, Tyler and the bros got retarded on this one, but it's not that bad to be honest)
11. No Problem (Keep it Alive) [4/5] (I imagine listening to this on my way around the beach in a black Cadillac or Mustang while watching a beautiful sunset with girlfriend by my side)
12. Your Sake [4/5] (One word: Teary, yes this is very emotional, it's a nice ballad indeed)
13. Beautiful Oblivion [4,5/5] (Bouncy with cool instrumental, backing sound effects and some "screaming" as a cherry on top make a tasty cake, very good closer) 

"I have Issues in Beautiful Oblivion myself so I gladly get carried on the bouncy waves and unexpected surprises of talented musicianship and overall fun with all my emotions"
4,35/5 or 87%

This is terrible compared to their previous work, the cd itself is not bad but Issues has died 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

Jesus fucking christ. You know how for DGD people always joke about how erect it made them? We should extend that to Issues because this album is fucking insane.

Lol this band is so incredibly awful.  This will be hyped beyond belief on this site while gatecreeper gets no love.

Oof

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 7

I thought that this album was fantastic. I am one of the few that enjoys the new direction and more Tyler. It baffles me that more don’t like it, Tyler is what makes this band more unique. Not too many have a singer as uniquely talented as him. Groovy album. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 1

This is my first Issues album and I love how funky it is. It combines everything I love about music and it's just ridiculous. 

10 minutes ago, OrcaSmuggler said:

I thought that this album was fantastic. I am one of the few that enjoys the new direction and more Tyler. It baffles me that more don’t like it, Tyler is what makes this band more unique. Not too many have a singer as uniquely talented as him. Groovy album. 

I don't think he deserves all the credit. He sure is one of the aspects that make this band unique but..Now I can't really judge as I don't know their entire discography, but this album combines jazz elements, has math rock influence, great djent parts, even fucking future bass chords :D Not to mention how Flexin does straight up 180 turn. I never heard anything like this before

After Flexin', I was seriously worried about this album. Thank god that my fears were not met.

This album is pretty damn great. There were only 2 songs that I really didn't care for, Flexin' and Find Forever. Tyler seriously gives his absolute best on this album, as he does not hold back. I was also quite surprised by how heavy it is too, for how little they use unclean vocals.

And lastly, yes, the hype for "Downfall" is real.

8.5 to 9/10

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 1

I tried, but couldn't even stomach a full listen of this "album". I gave up just after "Second Best".

Thinking "Flexin" was yet to come. This band is just not for me.

• Upvote 2

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So far im liking the album I will admit I think headspace had better first impression songs. Now i know people will get on me for this, and whats funny is im not a guy who LOVES harsh vox but man i kept thinking how so many parts felt so ready for a good scream! I actually LOVED what michael did last album with the fry screaming so for me him not being here was quite a blow. I really like ajs screams and wondered why they didnt use him except for TO. Also, I kept getting annoyed that a lot of the heavy riffs either the runs were to long or they didnt do it long enough to let it marinate and groove.

14 hours ago, hamboy23 said:

Did they really basically just rip off BMTH using the lyrics “sugar honey and iced tea??!!” Isn’t they basically the title and lyrics of song off of the last BMTH record??!!! Like what’s the deal with artists talking bout sugar and iced tea am I missing something here?

Hold up, do you really think that BMTH coined the phrase Sugar Honey Iced Tea? It’s an acronym for SHIT and it’s been around for literally YEARS in movies, music, books, you name it lol so no they did not rip off anyone, it’s a figure of speech 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Nickelback4Life said:

Lol this band is so incredibly awful.  This will be hyped beyond belief on this site while gatecreeper gets no love.

Oof

So ready for that new Gatecreeper.

• Love 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, PatientlyDead said:

this is going to be super meh. I already know

This was indeed meh

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, drum_maniac said:

@BenjaminBurnley I saw you mention Widmore.   Great band and guys!  Saw them back in August in Philadelphia.  Makes me want to give this album a try, now.  

like to me its an album like most lately that its a good listen to. I say check it out once it comes out or listen to it and see what u like. i probably wont check it out again but it was a good first listen.

Get it Right slaps

This comin from a massive Issues fan, this fuckin blows. Literally 4 songs that i could listen to without skipping. Major letdown

• Upvote 3

Not a fan. Love Tapping out and wish they had more songs like that on the record

• Upvote 1