mR12

Dayseeker - Sleeptalk (2019)

89 posts in this topic

It's good.

Not what I expected or wanted but I can live with it.

Was expecting a more crooked soul esque album. 

Other Releases by

I definitely do not like this at all. The pacing of the songs is realllllllyy slow and the instruments, when you can actually hear an instrument, were mind-numnbingly simple. Not sure if I was just expecting something different, but even the metalcore-y parts were shockingly generic and bland. The vocals were outstanding, but again sort of fall into two categories, that high scream/sing and the lower talk-sing boy band style and it repeats like that in almost every song, so much so that it was hard to distinguish one song from the next. Back to the pacing a little - every song started out dragging and I just wanted it to get somewhere. Are they like an ambient band? I dunno, I guess it's just not for me. Glad you are all liking it. 

Damn damn good album.

The last track is one of the best endings to an album I've heard in a LOOOONG time. It gave me EVERYTHING I wanted.

309870369_nar02.png.0d873f258f0838c2011e001a4b8d3643.png

New Review Every Week!

FLAC added!

This gets better with every listen.

Def. AOTY contender.  The best parts of this album are the stuff of legends that most bands never even come close to reaching.

After  few listens this is easily a top album from them. In order of greatness I would argue their album hierarchy is:

1) ORIGIN

2) DISWIR or ST

3) DISWIR or ST

4) WIMTBD

WIMTBD has my favourite songs in it (the title track and the closer) but in terms of consistency it doesn't hold tight.

in terms of consistency this album. Is great aside from that acoustic track - it sticks out a little too much.

I've never given this band a proper listen before. But holy shit, this album is incredible. The melodies hit just as much as they need to, and it's a really nice balance of heavy and melodic throughout the record. Favorites off it are The Color Black, Gates of Ivory, Already Numb, Sleeptalk, and Starving to Be Empty.

Either the vocalist really likes Too Close To Touch, or they coincidentally have some very similar vocal passages in a few spots on this album. I don't mean that as a negative critique in any way. Absolutely love this album. Crooked Soul and The Color Black are instant classics in my eyes, and that closer is so good... It hits all the right notes (I guess literally as well, but I mean it figuratively, not trying to make a pun lol)

• Upvote 1

Listening to this now and actually throughly enjoying it more than i thought i would. Didn’t listen to the last record bc of the weird production but I’ll give that one a go.

• Upvote 2

EFo5Hj3XoAAmas3.jpg

Plenty heavy enough, with a lot of great clean vocals and screams.  Really well balanced album.

Pretty forgetable, to be honest. Sleep talk, Gates of Ivory and Starving To Be Empty are pretty good tho.
They'll probably never beat their debut. That album is so good.

Might give it more spins to see if it grows.

I absolutely love the song Burial Plot. You can definitely hear the emotion in Rory's voice.

• Upvote 1

This is by far their best album, no questions asked.

Let's be real, until this album they were a by the numbers metalcore band with an above average vocalist they weren't properly utilizing.

Now they've actually found a songwriting style that suits them, and their vocalist, allowing him to REALLY shine.

I'll be paying attention to this band now.

2 hours ago, MyTearsYW said:

This is by far their best album, no questions asked.

Let's be real, until this album they were a by the numbers metalcore band with an above average vocalist they weren't properly utilizing.

Now they've actually found a songwriting style that suits them, and their vocalist, allowing him to REALLY shine.

I'll be paying attention to this band now.

I don't know if I'd call their past releases by the numbers, vocals are what drew me to this band 

Their only by the numbers release was the album before this one 

Great album this one is though, unsure where I'd rate it 

Oi oi oi! Finally! Thanks for this. The singles were so fireeee

9 hours ago, Dust of Pain said:

I don't know if I'd call their past releases by the numbers, vocals are what drew me to this band 

Their only by the numbers release was the album before this one 

Great album this one is though, unsure where I'd rate it 

I actually felt the album before this one was better than the ones that came before it.

But this album is a massive step up from everything they've ever done.

The difference for me is the massive shift to focus on atmosphere rather than just a harsh / clean split with technicality that every metalcore band does.

3 hours ago, MyTearsYW said:

I actually felt the album before this one was better than the ones that came before it.

But this album is a massive step up from everything they've ever done.

The difference for me is the massive shift to focus on atmosphere rather than just a harsh / clean split with technicality that every metalcore band does.

I understand. Glad this is a conversation instead of attacking each other

I feel like dayseeker has always had a different atmosphere about their music than other bands, like Sleep In the Sea (the song) for example

I like each dayseeker album a lot. This one is definitely their most unique

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dust of Pain said:

I understand. Glad this is a conversation instead of attacking each other

I feel like dayseeker has always had a different atmosphere about their music than other bands, like Sleep In the Sea (the song) for example

I like each dayseeker album a lot. This one is definitely their most unique

Exactly! See I recognize the appeal of metalcore like that, but I've always appreciated atmosphere over technicality every time; but that's just my personal viewpoint.

• Upvote 1

Surprisingly good. Never been a fan of these guys but this album definitely got my attention. Great post-hardcore.

At this point my top 10 AOTY list may not even be top 10 anymore

Why are there so many good releases this year?

Best songs: Burial Plot, The Color Black, Gates of Ivory and Crash and Burn.

I watched you burning every bridge, then blame the smoke for your eyes burning.

Guys; you're all tripping if you think "Starving To Be Empty" isn't the best song on here.

Cause it is.

It rules.

AOTY shit right here boiz 

If you want a custom signature they are for sale just PM me!

test-3.gif

Back to say this is still phenomenal and has overtaken everything else released this year so far as my AOTY choice. Didn't think Tool would be topped, and Slipknot before them. Boy was I wrong.

I had to come back here to mention that i am legit obsessed by this album. "Starving To Be Empty" has clearly became one of my favourite song ever and the whole album keeps growing on me at each and every listen. I never thought that another album would equal WATG as my AOTY but this is a serious contender. Coming from a band i never really cared about, its pretty amazing.

STYGKL_1.gif

Visceral. This album explodes with emotion, and the bands delivery is great:

Vocals are intense, yet easy on the ears. Hooks are hard, heavy, and catchy. Production is great.

:like:

This album is pretty fucking beautiful. When I first went into it, I just wasn't feeling the vibe and stopped it before finishing. Gave it another try along with listening to Dreaming Is Sinking /// Waking Is Rising and it hit home. The combination of atmosphere and detuned, heavy guitars is so dreamy and I just sink my teeth into it the whole time. Makes me happy I gave this band another chance, because I really dig this.

The purest, non-conformist jaded subhuman terrorist.

I feel like a fool for having stumbled into this band so late. But I love this album. This is fantastic. And honestly think this is a hundred times better than their older stuff.