Summers

As I Lay Dying - Shaped by Fire (2019)

138 posts in this topic

Yep an easy 10/10 here, boys. Yeah most songs do have the same song structure but i dont even care, because this album is THAT fucking good. The mixing does get to me a little, but it all sounds beefier with decent headphones, so there's that. I almost cried while listening to this, this isnt just an album. It's so much more. It feels like a fucking dream that they have returned and gave us such a masterpiece to have. 

PS: I listened to this album almost 4 times in a row at work and got better each listen. 

• Upvote 1

Gatekeeper is such a weird song... in a good way.

Alright after listening to it like 20 times, i figured i would give my input on it. A lot of it definitely sounds like the older stuff, but the album is so good that it doesn't bother me at all. I've been waiting 7 years for this album, and I'm just excited to be alive to hear new as i lay dying. Gatekeeper is definitely the thrashiest and heaviest song on the album, the solo is insane. I'm gonna guess that Tim wrote a lot of it because it sounds a lot like austrian death machine.Aside from the singles Torn Between and The Wreckage are probably my two favorite songs. Mostly because the choruses are so fucking catchy it gave me goosebumps and chills. Take What's left sound a lot like the sound of truth, almost like the riffs are recycled. But it's still a good song and the japanese sounding guitar riff in the background is nice. Josh's vocals on this album are the best I've heard from him. Tim hasn't lost a step and sounds better than ever. Besides the album sounding a lot like their earlier material, i really don't have any complaints. There isn't one song on it that i don't like. I give it an 8/10 only because it sounding like earlier albums. This is album of the year for me so far, I absolutely love this album and can't seem to stop listening to it. Jordan's drums are amazing as always, it's hard to hear Josh's bass parts, every once in a while you hear them. Phil and Nick write some of the best riffs if not the best riffs in metalcore. Counting the singles my favorite songs are Redefined, Torn Between, The Wreckage, Take what's left, and my own grave. If i really had to pick a least favorite song i would say it's probably shaped by fire, it didn't catch my attention like the other songs did.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kyo said:

I’m just floored that I was super hyped over My Own Grave when it came out and it’s EASILY the weakest track on this monster. Amazing redemption story for Tim and the gang and an absolutely massive album to come back with.

Definitely wouldn’t say “easily the weakest” lol

• Upvote 1

The mix really lets this down, the guitars don't get to shine like they should, aside from My Own Grave where the riffs sound fucking great and everything is crystal clear. The kick drum sounds like ass and is too high in the mix. I have no idea why they would stop working with Nolly to go with a clearly inferior sound. The low end is really messy. It's not offensively bad like some albums are, but I hold a band on their level to a higher standard. They met that standard and then walked away from it and that irks the fuck out of me.

I like the album, it's not AOTY, it's too samey both within itself and when compared to their other albums to get that title, but it's still very fucking good Metalcore and I'm glad we can listen to them again, regardless of how I feel about Tim.

Awesome! Thanks for this 🤘🏻

Reminder: Tim Lambesis tried to have his wife murdered.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, moonlover said:

Only took 4 pages for the potential thread derailment. Expected first page tbh.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, desk said:

Only took 4 pages for the potential thread derailment.

I've been busy.

• Haha 3

Yeah Tim is an asshole. Scared his own family and band members for solicitation. He had to learn shit the hard way didn't he. Oh well. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Tedwards_ said:

Not a bad album to start with, the singles have been some of their best work ever. 

Frail Words Collapse is the album to start with.

Crazy to me that once upon a time this album seemed completely impossible, and now I've finished two listens of it.

It's an AILD album. It's top quality metalcore from a name every fan of the genre should know. By no means is it a masterpiece or AOTY, but I think it has a right to be considered the best album of the year in it's own genre. "Gatekeeper" is the best track that wasn't a single, but it's a bit of a downer that "My Own Grave" is the peak of the record in my opinion.

I'm glad this is out. I love the band despite Tim, and with TDWP kinda trending downward (IMO) it's nice to have another pillar in metalcore back putting out jams.

FWIW,

I used to love AILD. Then he started Pyrithion and it was awesome. Austrian Death Machine also wins me over.

21 hours ago, duck! said:

Before this thread hits 5 pages of arguments:

AILD good

Tim bad

Now let's enjoy the music

Both are bad imo 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

thanks

This albums is awesome. Gatekeeper is incredible

22 hours ago, Tedwards_ said:

Not a bad album to start with, the singles have been some of their best work ever. 

Then I'm excited to take a listen. I'm finally off after school today so I'll get a chance to while I"m doing, if I don't listen to it while I'm at school that is haha

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10/10 awesome album. Album of the year 2019 🙂

As I lay Dying - Shaped by fire REVIEW:

Burn to emerge - a good intro into blinded
Blinded - 5/5 - That was something amazing
shaped by fire - 4/5
undertow - 4.5/5
Torn between - 5/5 - those cleans tho
gatekeeper - 4/5
the Wreckage - 4.5/5
my own grave - 5/5 - WOW.
take what's left - 5/5 - DAMN
Redefined - 4.5/5
Only After We've Fallen - 4/5
The Toll It Takes - 5/5

This is some work of art. But As I lay dying delivered something really great.  Redefined kind of gave me some parkway drive vibes as well. Like this album is something special this will be high I think on my AOTY list if not AOTY. Great album. STREAM THE HELL OUT OF THIS FUCKER.

Fav Tracks: Pretty much all of the album.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, moonlover said:

Nobody really gives a shit anymore, a lot of us moved on from it. We're not stuck in the past.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, moonlover said:

I'm gonna go ahead & entertain the can of worms here. 

To what degree do you believe human action does not deserve reconciliation? Are there crimes where rehabilitation is never fully achieved?

If you believe unforgivable acts exist, I pray that you are never on the other end of the gavel 

• Upvote 4

mhm this isnt 320kbps but fucking thanks for the upload

3 minutes ago, Koragh said:

mhm this isnt 320kbps but fucking thanks for the upload

you checked spectrum?

this album is phenomenal so much emotions bring me back to the olden metalcore days but with the digital era idk what brings me more tears on each passionated solo they fact about the lyrical songs or the fact what the band been through specially the vocalist

@LinaK ye idk maybe we'll have to wait a few days FLAC is there tho

I feel like i’m back in ‘00. Nostalgia.

Amazing album, one of the best this year. Thank you!

Fucking amazing album. It's hard to tell if I like this album more than Awakened though, I guess I'll just have to wait for the new to wear off to make a proper judgment. The Wreckage is absolutely beautiful. Gatekeeper is sick as fuck. I don't think there's a bad song on the album, and Tim definitely had plenty to say. I like the lyric, "The past I can't fix is all you'll ever know," because of all the people constantly bitching about people supporting the band after what he did when they don't know him personally, while his family and bandmates who actually do know him personally were able to forgive him. I think I'll trust their judgment more than some petty shit talkers.

• Upvote 2

Guess it's time to give this a go. Loved Awakened. I'm sure this will be good. 

8 hours ago, ButlerTooth said:

I'm gonna go ahead & entertain the can of worms here. 

To what degree do you believe human action does not deserve reconciliation? Are there crimes where rehabilitation is never fully achieved?

If you believe unforgivable acts exist, I pray that you are never on the other end of the gavel 

Working with at-risk individuals, I completely understanding that some crimes, and people convicted of crimes can be rehabilitated to the point where they feel remorse, and regret their actions. However, I don't believe Tim is sincere with his apology. 

8 hours ago, Centralia121483 said:

Nobody really gives a shit anymore, a lot of us moved on from it. We're not stuck in the past.

Yeah okay Stan.