Summers

As I Lay Dying - Shaped by Fire (2019)

138 posts in this topic

Never been so hyped for an album before!

I've been checking KL everyday to see if had leaked already for the past month

Thanks! Now the wait is over!

• Upvote 2

It's hard and fast all the way through. if you liked the singles they've released, then you'll enjoy it because each song has the same level of production and follows the same formula. There isn't much in the way of variety. I think fans will love it, but each songs feels the same to me. The Wreckage is probably my favorite song, outside of the singles already released, with cool dynamics and melodies.

SO MUCH EXCITE!!! can't wait to listen!

My boys are back in full force. I'm happy as f*ck, so get ready, neighbours.  

This is a solid record, certainly underwhelming though.

The riffs are pretty good, but nearly every song follows the same riffy verse and anthemic chorus structure.  It doesn't help that the clean vocals are ridiculously overproduced and it always sounds like 3 people are singing at once.  The chorus structures are very static throughout each song (with a few exceptions obviously) and feel really boring by the time you make it to the 4th repeated chorus at the end of whatever song.  Plus I found that the transitions from the verses to the choruses were very choppy and not smooth at all.

It is a shame that My Own Grave is the strongest track on here, it feels like a complete song.  They wrote and released that song and were pressured to release an album and it sounds like they wrote an album in a short period of time for the sake of releasing an album.  It is just another average metalcore album in the endless sea of average metalcore.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

This is so juicy.

Vocal blends, instrumentation, song structure.. Front to back, all on point to make that signature AILD sound, almost like 2014 was yesterday.

Some amazing choruses, killer riffs, brutal vocals, great production. But...each song sounds a bit like the same with the same formula. Still a great record, I gotta go through a couple more listens for sure, there are just some flaws I thought would happen 

• Upvote 1

It's good, but it all sounds a bit "samey" to me (which isn't uncommon on AILD records). Wish there was a little more variety in the song structures, like an Anodyne Sea or an Anger and Apathy. Not sure if it's the performance or recording, but Tim's vocals don't have as much impact as past records. This is definitely Josh's best album though, he really stepped it up on the melodies. Undertow stood out as the best non-single first listen through. Redefined is the best heavy song. Gatekeeper was the most experimental and different song. The Powerless Rise remains their best album to me, but this one seems better than Awakened.

• Upvote 4

I think this album is definitely repetitive a bit, but in their case (or my own taste) they are fucking masters of this formula, so I don't mind it at all. Probably top 10 aoty. Hyped they are back.

• Upvote 1

God damn, My Own Grave is mixed so much better than everything else here. They should have stuck with Nolly.

• Upvote 3

Holy crap this is so good! 'Torn Between' def is my favorite track so far.

I've been waiting impatiently for this album ever since My Own Grave dropped. I am far from disappointed. Definite AOTY for me.

It's been a really long time since I've been this excited for an album. I'll post my opinion of the album once i listen to it a few times. I can't wait to drive around for a couple hours and blast it in my car. The singles were amazing, i can't wait to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. the 7 year wait is over

• Upvote 1

2019 is the most competitive year in metal in recent memory. Even so, I think we have our AOTY right here folks.

• Upvote 3

Hell yea!! thank you been waiting on this one for sure.. Cant wait to jam it the fuck out..  Just may go old school burn it on a cd🤘🤘

I still remember when Frail Words Collapse was released when I was a sophomore in high school (Im getting haha) and couldn’t be more excited to listen to this album. 

Master fucking piece! :wub: Defs took the no 1 spot for best Metalcore album ever for me.

Knew it was gonna be AOTY when My Own Grave dropped.

This record is just more proof of what we knew since Shadows of Security. As I Lay Dying are the Metalcore gods.

• Upvote 3

🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐

• Upvote 1

I never thought I would be hearing a brand new AILD album with all the guys together. This is great, they haven't missed a beat. We were in dire need for riffing metalcore.

Ok seriously this is incredible definitely has Shadows of security vibes mixed with an ocean between us what a fucking  comeback. This band was actually the reason I started playing metalcore on guitar huge inspiration for me aoty for me for sure thank you guys!