mR12

Microwave - Death is a Warm Blanket (2019)

27 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

Whoa. This is like a complete sonic 180 from their last album. I dig the new sound, but I do miss the vocal clarity. he's got such a unique tone without it getting drowned out by all the effects.

• Upvote 2

Way better than I was expecting. Only heard the 3 singles they put out and I was kinda stoked to hear the whole thing and it blew me away. Loved the atmosphere and how the songs seamlessly transitioned. Great record, love me discovering such gems like this.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Had a great first listen experience with this. Gonna take multiple listens to digest, as is the case with mostly every album I listen to nowadays, but I love this. The band takes a lot of care in their song writing, and you can tell in songs like Mirrors where the vocal melodies float over the instrumentals uniquely. More evidence of that is the transitions in the album which were a great surprise. My one gripe is that I wish his voice was more prominent in the mix, but I understand the choice and I'm sure once I learn the lyrics more, that won't be as big of an issue. Expect a longer comment on this post from me eventually.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

This album is such a toss up for me. On one hand, I absolutely love the new heavy grunge sound and all the twists and turns they put in here, and I think it has some of the bands best songs (Float To The Top, Hate TKO, Pull, Part Of It), but on the other, man I’m gonna miss their twinkly emo Much Love sound, as that remains one of my all time favorite albums. That being said, this album is perfectly chaotic and beautiful in all the right parts, but sometimes feels a little overproduced and crowded to the point where it’s hard to know what’s going on. Overall, 8/10. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Just now, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

This album is such a toss up for me. On one hand, I absolutely love the new heavy grunge sound and all the twists and turns they put in here, and I think it has some of the bands best songs (Float To The Top, Hate TKO, Pull, Part Of It), but on the other, man I’m gonna miss their twinkly emo Much Love sound, as that remains one of my all time favorite albums. That being said, this album is perfectly chaotic and beautiful in all the right parts, but sometimes feels a little overproduced and crowded to the point where it’s hard to know what’s going on. Overall, 8/10. 

This sums up my thoughts pretty perfectly after 1 listen, including the 8/10 score. I'm happy they made this album though. We'll always have Stovall and Much Love for their more emo sound.

• Upvote 2

Just now, xcblackdiamond said:

This sums up my thoughts pretty perfectly after 1 listen, including the 8/10 score. I'm happy they made this album though. We'll always have Stovall and Much Love for their more emo sound.

Yeah I’ve had time to sit with it for a week or two and I think 8/10 seems about right for my final thoughts, because at the end of the day, I do love this album a lot. I do hope that they go a little less heavy on the next album though. 

4 minutes ago, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

^This minus the old soud part because this is the first album I heard by them. 8/10 is mine rating too

7 minutes ago, NieR:Automata™ said:

^This minus the old soud part because this is the first album I heard by them. 8/10 is mine rating too

You should listen to Much Love when you get a chance. It’s a near perfect album. 

Been digging this one cause the previous album was great too.

I fucking love this side of Microwave. So glad they are doing something darker and heavier. This could be one of my favorite albums to release this year. Thanks for the upload. <3

L E A T H E R  D A D D Y

• Haha 1

One word. Masterpiece. 

Microwave - Death is a Warm Blanket Review:

Leather Daddy - 4.5/5
Float to the Top - 5/5
DIAWB - 4.5/5
The Brakeman Has Resigned - 4/5
Hate TKO - 4.5/5
Pull - 4/5
Love's Will Tear Us Apart - 5/5
Mirrors - 4.5/5
Carry - 4.5/5
Part of it - 4/5

I'm glad chat was blowing up about this today or I wouldn't check these guys out at all. These guys are great. Would recommend checking these fellas out. Sounds the old song as if its Ghost Atlas. But anyways great record :) 

• Upvote 1

As someone mentioned earlier, an almost total 180 from "Much Love" but not exactly a horrible thing.  These guys obviously have a wide range of stellar music they can craft.  In many ways this reminds me of Brand News' "Daisy" in how dense and bleak it can be at times.

What if Everybody Is Going To Heaven by Citizen and Daisy by Brand New had a child, abandoned him and The Always Open Mouth by Fear Before The March Of Flames adopted him? This album is the answer. I'm loving it.

FLAC added!

This is great throughout. I am missing some somber songs but they have plenty material to get back to so it's not much of a problem. This is what Daisy is for Brand New.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Holy fuck this has to be one of the best alternative grunge post-rock hardcore punk emo albums this year easily. Top 10 no doubt.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 9/12/2019 at 8:57 PM, BenjaminBurnley said:

Sounds the old song as if its Ghost Atlas.

Image result for nick young meme

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

leather daddy intro sounds like weezer ripoff. following song float to the top clearly rips off nirvana. not gonna lie, those are probably the best on the album tho

• Downvote 2

third song rips off Rihanna and the fourth song clearly borrows from Nickelback.

I'm going to give this an 11/10.

There hasn't been better music released this year, and probably won't be...