mR12

Starset - DIVISIONS (2019)

64 posts in this topic

Great album! A few really good tracks. Fingers crossed we get a FLAC version soon 🤞

• Upvote 1

Other Releases by

I died when I heard Telekinetic. Best track ever

Manifest sounds alot like "let down" by Palisades. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Honestly, I thought I would be let down by this particular record. However, hearing it in it's entirety, it's incredible. For a concept album, every song feels tighly knitted; there isn't a weird point on this album that leaves me shifting uncomfortably- In layman's terms, it all flows.

What I particularly enjoy is the sound evolution. Start with Transmissions, then move onto Vessels, then listen to this.  There's this obvious shift and almost transcendence with their sound. It isn't a total flip of everything they've ever done, it's simply enhanced and evolved. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, enjoying the musical (not the genre) aspects of Starset and their sound really sell this album to me.

Favorites are most definitely Manifest, Telekinetic, and Other Worlds Than These.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

After a couple of full run troughs, I’d say this is overall a good record, which could’ve been great but has been dragged down by a few missteps. 

Definitely not on par with Transmission and Vessels, I can clearly see what they’ve tried to do with this record, pushing the pedal on the mainstream alt rock side of their sound, but it didn’t pay off in the end, and the best tracks are still the ones retaining their first albums’ sound. 

I definitely get the Imagine Dragons reference with Faultline, thought the exact same thing when it started. 

Album highlights are Manifest, Telekinetic which is a fucking damn banger with even a slow paced breakdown, Stratosphere, Trials and the closer Diving Bell, which sounds 100 times better contextualized within the album. 

• Upvote 1

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. This will always be the true form of starset i know and love.

It’s a good thing we have AOTY which this could contest for. Also a good thing we don’t have worst AOTY(artwork of the year)

Starset Divsions REVIEW:

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE FUTURE - 5/5 Nice little intro from dustin 
MANIFEST - 5/5 - loved this single soooo soooo much gave me downplay vibes as well my demons vibes.
ECHO - 4.5/5 - nice electronics in the song
WHERE THE SKIES END - 4/5
PERFECT MACHINE - 4/5
TELEKINETIC - 4.5/5 - damn dustin that low scream didnt think you had it in you. Amazing work
STRATOSPHERE - 4.5/5
FAULTLINE - 3.5/5
SOLSTICE - 4.5/5 - very very nice. loved the first verse of the song alot.
TRAILS - 5/5 - all i can say: DAMN. great freaking song. As good as manifest wow
WAKING UP - 4/5
OTHER WORLDS THAN THESE - 4/5
DIVING BELL - 3/5

This is dustins first album that he produced for his first time he did pretty damn well. There was some hits, some oks, and some amazing pieces like most starset albums :) overall great record. Glad i did pre-order. Go check it out when its out tomorrow :) 

Fav songs: MANIFEST, STRATOSPHERE, TRIALS, TELEKINETIC, SOLSTICE and ECHO. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

"TELEKINETIC" isn't fucking around starting at 2:52, and I'm fucking here for it. Hope there are more moments like that on the album, but I love that song, gotta say.

• Upvote 1

Totally didn't understand the hype for Telekinetic while initially listening.

And then it happened...

And DEAR GOD was it amazing!

For the rest of the album, it has some good parts, and some terrible parts. Definitely not as good as Vessels, but still really decent.

A good 7/10 for sure.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It's their weakest album unfortunately, it's not bad for any means, but when comparing to Transmissions and Vessels it's not at the same level.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, aMemoryMisread said:

This is a big disappointment for me. 

This album sounds more like a showcase of technical ability than a true album. Very uninspired lyrically (the space themes feel very forced) and almost every song has a repetitive part to it ("Don't let me let the...x3 dark take over"). 

Although I don't need screaming, those were some of my favorite moments off Transmissions and Vessels and they're mostly absent here. Happy to hear it in Telekenitic  but it didn't mesh well with the rest of the song.

Overall this feels a bit like a sellout to me rather than an evolution. Will keep an eye on my Starset guys, been a fan of Dustin since Downplay, but I don't see myself coming back to this often.

Yeah I agree. I didn't really like any of the songs from this one. They felt too bland. The electronics they love to use got annoying for me. 

Eh, Vessels wasn't bad but this feels like it went further down that path. The electronics and his voice feel the same throughout the whole thing. I don't feel like there's much diversity between the tracks. I had a feeling this was coming, but I see I'm one of few who don't like it so that's great for them. 

• Confused 1

I really enjoy the lower tuned guitars a lot. Those deep tunings are very satisfying for my soul. 

However, in the sense of a fully album, Vessels is much better than Divisions, although I do believe Divisions is better than Transmissions. 

I really enjoy all three albums, but Vessels probably tops this one for me. 

However, I'll still give it a healthy 7.5/10 or 7.75/10

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As someone who never really listened to Starset and doesn't really care, I decided to check this out without any expectations. After hearing MANIFEST I have learned that this is the first time they are trying this djenty stuff. It's not bad, it's not good. Some songs drag, or better said, they have really slow pace and are repetitive. Some have a fuckton of elements in them, kind of sounding like they are countering themselves in the noise, followed by singer's monotonous voice through the whole record. Some songs are legit, some are less interesting. Definitely prefer the ones that are more "minimalistic" in terms of their sound, like on TRIALS where is this very bouncy synth or SOLSTICE which has cute plucky melody going on followed by guitars doing their usual thing. To be honest if they went full on ambient with these djenty parts, it would be awesome. But for some reason there's just this weird disharmony in sounds (at least to me). It's okay/average record but 58 minutes is way too much. 

Favorites got to be MANIFEST, TELEKINETIC, STRATOSPHERE, SOLSTICE, TRIALS

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Amazing album! I love every single song. Perfect Machine especially is fucking epic!

Now this was fucking good. Just a good band with such a cool concept, I love them.

• Upvote 1

Despite terrible marketing, they really pulled off a great album! The production and the space interludes are soooo damn awesome! Telekinetic is of course an insane song, Manifest is one of my fav songs of the year. Such a great progressions for the band, it never got boring. Possible AOTY for me!

Vessels > Divisions > Transmissions

• Haha 1

FLAC added!

• Upvote 2

First time into Starset and I really liked the trip. Gonna head into Vessel when I've more time.

I really like the 3 last tracks, but it's a pleasant album to listen as a whole. 

Only Perfect Machine and Faultline are quite a meh for me. 

• Upvote 1

thanks so much for this!! seeing them live next week and i cant wait :lol:

On 9/12/2019 at 7:10 AM, Physyadelic said:

It's been a while since I posted some of my stuff, so here are new artworks I made this month, I hope you like them KL crew! <3^_^

Stratosphere.jpg

WTSE.jpg

Dude these are amazing! You should make a main artwork for the new Coldrain album! I loved The Side EFFECTS to death but I can't stand the artwork that they used for the album

2 hours ago, REXNIGHTLIFE55 said:

Dude these are amazing! You should make a main artwork for the new Coldrain album! I loved The Side EFFECTS to death but I can't stand the artwork that they used for the album

I'll think about it, because the album is amazing and thanks! :))

Is it as bad as the last one?

• Downvote 2

Starset is one of my favorite bands of the last decade and I love them. But this... Maybe I need more time with it... But this is... boring... Manifest was such a great track they really set the stage for another phenomenal record and this just under-delivers, in my opinion. 

I’ll continue to listen to it, maybe I’ll change my tune. But after about 10 runs through, I’m unimpressed. 

Thank you, though!