mR12

Being As An Ocean - PROXY: An A.N.I.M.O. Story (2019)

57 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

Woo!  Been really excited to hear this one!  Thank you!!

• Upvote 1

Just now, スカムです said:

For a band who's music used to provoke such a wide range of emotion, the only thing this album is making me feel is disappointment. 

literally.

• Upvote 6

Don't get the hate. Just because its not as hard as their previous albums who fucking cares. I'm digging this album from start to finish. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, RockinXander said:

Don't get the hate. Just because its not as hard as their previous albums who fucking cares. I'm digging this album from start to finish. 

I defended their last album because it got a lot of hate for being too experimental and unconventional, but it was one of my fave albums that year, Glow was easily the best song that year for me AND the album as a whole had some of my fave BAAO songs, this is just 80% mediocre garbage though with hints of greatness from time to time. 

EDIT: I should've mentioned that I think BOY, See Your Face and ANIMO are actually great songs, while the rest are just basic noise, even the B-sides from WFMTC were better, especially Alone.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

To be honest I really disappointed (maybe everyone who listen their album from the first time) but at least I really appreciated what they do.

I'm upset and disappointed. WFMTC was beyond perfect imo. Then this happens...big sad

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Can't say i'm disappointed, i like it, but i expected way more diversity than this. The album has some highlights, but as a whole, it has nothing really memorable. WFMTC, especially with the deluxe edition songs was a perfect balance between experimental and old-school BAAO.

• Upvote 5

Basically finished with this record and I now have a firm understanding as to why nobody liked this album. It does have it's moments and their are some catchy hooks but it's unfortunately nothing special compared to WFMTC which was amazing! I won't be coming back to this record all too often.

• Upvote 3

Can't make em all good, this is definitely an album thats not for me.

• Upvote 2

Wow big disappointment. Been following these guys since the beginning. This is a huge step in the wrong direction. So many bands doing this nowadays. This is how you sell out in the scene apparently.

• Upvote 4

I don't think this album is bad at all, it's just not good for their standards. While it has some songs I really like, it's a massive downgrade and just dumb radio rock for white 16 years old teens that think they are listening to metalcore or something. 6/10 sadly. Wanted more of WFMTC, got more of amo. At least this was more consistent but significantly less interesting and more generic

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

Very interesting album!!! Good vibes!!!! Love it!!!

This album is a massive disappointment. WFTMTC was a masterpiece and this... I don't even wanna listen again. 

This album is fucking fire! A massive dumpster fire that is.

Okay it's not THAT bad but it definitely pales in comparison to the quality they usually deliver, and is miles below their previous release.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

Cant wait to listen - didnt even know this was a thing and I'm loving the hate.

Album name is also god awful

This is really damn good! Fuck all the hate for this album, it's plain out ridiculous.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I like it, fight me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drown said:

I like it, fight me.

No just sit on you.

Everything is generic nowadays isn't it? (I don't really care for this, It was alright for me)

reading comments has got me scared. dear god is one of my top 3 albums of all time, i fucking ADORED waiting for morning to come, and i didnt dislike the single for this one but aaaaaaaaaaa im scared

• Upvote 1

I dig this.  First listen standouts ... Tragedy, Skin, Play Pretend, Brave.  Think 'Skin' may just be my favorite so far.  The rest are pretty average but could definitely grow on me.

The only song that straight up bothered me was A.N.I.M.O ... but that song kind of highlights the issue with this album.  Their lyrics have always been pretty heavy-handed, but they felt personal, genuine and were delivered passionately.  Whatever an A.N.I.M.O Story is supposed to be, I don't think it's a very good one.  This doesn't feel very personal or genuine, and without Joel's screaming there's only as much passion as they can milk from McGough's voice (and Joel's clean singing to an extent).

There are definitely a few gems to pluck from this, but feels like a weak entry for BAAO.  Hopefully next album they go back to writing songs that feel a little more vulnerable and try to avoid getting too creative thematically.

• Love 1

Has good moments, but nothing mindblowing for me.

Also, some songs really sounded like they decided to create their own amo. Still gonna prefer the BMTH one.

I think I liked Tragedy and ANIMO the most, the rest ranged from okay, to decent, to meh.