Chrome has marked our site as a phishing site! Help us refute this by reporting this assessment as an error by clicking here. Thanks!
Michael

Melanie Martinez - K-12 (2019)

36 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

i didnt expect to be hearing k-12 today but helleah lets go, im exited af

• Upvote 2

Just now, MyTearsYW said:

Album's probably gonna be fun. Also, let's try to keep the talk about the album itself and not the proven false allegations against her. Tired of seeing shittons of threads about her like that.

This post will be heavily moderated. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

Nice, wasn't expecting to hear this for another few days. And in 320 too, even better. Going into this one mostly blind other than the leaked version of Drama Club, haven't been listening to previews, hopefully it'll be as good as her first album.

• Upvote 2

Oh shit, what a nice surprise. Thanks KL.

Hahaha Opening Track..... definitely my Senior Year.... this album is definitely a step up from here last... great album.

This is so good. Better than LDR's last album imo. Just give it a listen.

• Love 1
  • Downvote 2

do you have the movie too?

• Upvote 1

Strong outing. I can see why she's not releasing singles from this cause there are no obvious singles. It's meant to be experienced as a whole. Also, this might already be obvious but I think K-12 is a metaphor for Mel's experiences in the music industry.

• Upvote 2

Oh helllll yeah 

Now we just need How It Feels To Be Lost and Hollywood's Bleeding and we can just call today leak day this week haha

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

Impatiently checking for How It Feels To Be Lost throughout the day now, gonna jam this for now

• Love 1

holy shit, this is so good. can't wait for the movie and will def be streaming this on streaming platforms!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Very good album. 

My favs

Show and tell

Recess

Drama Club

Nurse's office

High school sweethearts

• Love 1
  • Downvote 1

It was pretty alright, idk what I was expecting but it was sure a nice listen. Again, nothing unique, good background music but I don't feel a thing listening to this 

• Upvote 2

Omg how do I even press play to play the music idk how too

• Sad 2
  • Downvote 3

It's  nice to the ears but easily forgettable to me.  Not even close to Dollhouse levels of infectious in my view. 

Stand outs for me:

Detention

Drama Club

Lunchbox Friend

• Upvote 1

Someone has the movie?

not really a fan of hers, her writing was pretty cringey on her last album, but i havent seen other pop artists do something like this yet, so i'll give it a fair shot. hoping for some bops

EDIT: after 2 listens, it's just okay. it's an improvement from crybaby, lyrically, but not by much. i did mostly enjoy Drama Club, but everything else was too...expected. there wasn't enough experimentation or anything that surprises you. the production of the choruses was irritating in the aspect that they were too long and repetitive. and she clings to this "im hardcore, daddy raised a bitch but also im cute" concept that just comes off as try-hard and trying to be relatable. i hate to use the word cringey again but that's what it is a lot of the time. (this was very prominent on the chorus of class fight and high school sweethearts). the melodies don't feel well constructed frequently. im not sure how to explain it, but it's like she wants to put lyrics together without considering the melody and just throwing them in and jamming them into a box that is too small...if that analogy makes sense. 

again, definitely an improvement from her debut, and the story and concept is much clearer and easier to follow on this one, but is it enough of an improvement to be good? i don't think so.

EDIT 2: can we talk about how bad orange juice was?? i know its important to bring light to that topic, but the melody was so bad, the metaphor and imagery felt so disconnected to the topic, and while the song started out strong lyrically, the force-feeding of saying "this song is about bulimia" in the last line of the first verse ruins it. don't just tell us what you're singing about, let us have that click. use other words, metaphors, don't be so spoon-fed literal.

EDIT 3: strawberry shortcake was also actually a pretty good song i should mention. the lyrics for the topic are a bit cliche, but it's one of the stronger melodies on the album, and i like the dessert imagery. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I don't like this album, i really think it's mediocre but i enjoy some tracks: Wheels On The Bus, Show & Tell, High School Sweethearts and some other songs. This is forgettable.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

My Favorite's :                                

Nurse's Office

Show & Tell

Wheels on The Bus

Detection

Drama Club

High School Sweethearts

Least Favorite's :

Orange Juice (This track was the most hyped and I don't like this as much as the other songs.)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skestu said:

My Favorite's :                                

Nurse's Office

Show & Tell

Wheels on The Bus

Detection

Drama Club

High School Sweethearts

Least Favorite's :

Orange Juice (This track was the most hyped and I don't like this as much as the other songs.)

What about lunchbox friends? 

lunchbox friends and class fight are probably some of the best sounding songs off it, but i love the aesthetic that flows through the whole album with every song. actually a really well done album.

• Upvote 1

Been waiting for this to drop, the snippets had me intrigue.

I listened to this about three times in a row yesterday really trying find something that would make me want to come back for more like Crybaby did but it was hard to find anything really catchy or well structured enough to get stuck in my head but dont get me wrong i think this thing bangs but i just think that its going to play out way better as an artpop musical film than it does as a standalone studio pop album 

Which seems to be exactly what she was going for or else i dont think she would have made an entire film for it and probably would have released promotional singles instead of snippets of music and film that play out almost as trailers 

I think what we are really getting here is a feature length artpop musical with an actual plot or ultimate meaning behind it all 

The "album" itself is just a soundtrack and the film just so happens to come with a physical copy of that soundtrack 

Thats my assumption at least but i mean i havent seen the film so i could be completely wrong it could just end up being a series of music videos and then in that case we got a pretty good but forgettable album that comes with a bonus music video DVD 

Regardless im just happy that she is continuing to make art because after the long wait and those false accusations for a minute there i thought she may have been done 

Ill gladly support her in anything she does as long as she continues to do it 

This is the part where i realize ive said way to much and should say some witty self aware shit like "thanks for coming to my ted talk"  

But honestly i absolutely fuckin hate when people do that so if you read all of this 

Im sorry i made you read all of this lol

Absolutely loved this album<3 My faves (not in order) are orange juice, lunchbox friends, teacher's pet, detention, high school sweethearts, show & tell and nurse's office :wub:

21 hours ago, Michael said:

What about lunchbox friends? 

oh i love it too

actually really love this album. the main thing that turned me off from Cry Baby was the lyrics which were questionable at best, and honestly sickening at worst.

this album seems to take the consistent and similar concept of portraying adult situations in a childlike setting from the last album, and executing it surprisingly well.

the concept here is fairly subtle, but there are still those "heyyy" moments when you can point a couple things out and connect the dots.

hoping the film will explain things a bit better story-wise! there's a theater about 20 miles away screening it on thursday, so i might go check that out

This is pure hot trash!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5