Cornchip

Kingdom Leaks - Logo Design Concept

26 posts in this topic

i've come up with a design concept for the Kingdom Leaks logo, as i feel the sleek, thin, futuristic logo we have now doesn't quite fit the feeling the website gives off.

here, i have incorporated the album covers of Kingdom Leaks' favorite album releases of January - June as voted by users. these albums are:

• Bring Me The Horizon - amo
  • Attila - Villain
  • Whitechapel - The Valley
  • Periphery - Periphery IV: Hail Stan
  • Rammstein - RAMMSTEIN
  • Motionless In White - Disguise

further development into this concept could include recent and/or popular releases appearing in the "KL" text when you hover your mouse over it

thoughts? comments? concerns? lemme know if you have any critiques as well, always looking for ways to improve (:

KINGDOM LEAKS.png

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

klsig.png.729dbece4a6cd4d8ccf4d56b60aa08e2.png

Other Releases by

The black border is too thick

the grey shadow is physically wrong

i like the current logo 

• Upvote 4

doesn't even look like the letters "KL" tbh

• Upvote 1

klsig.png.3267830764a221b632f399d63c5c2267.png

6 minutes ago, MrPreApocalypse said:

The black border is too thick

the grey shadow is physically wrong

i like the current logo 

valid, this is just a concept after all

i did toy with making the border thinner but it didn't look right to me, maybe i'll try that in a different rendition.

and can you explain what about the shadow is wrong? just so i know what i can fix :P

3 minutes ago, スカムです said:

i sorta went for the idea of making the KL text a design in its own, but i definitely agree that it doesn't really look like letters. noted

3 hours ago, Cornchip said:

and can you explain what about the shadow is wrong? just so i know what i can fix :P

If you have light coming from one direction, then you will have the shadows being representative of that direction.  If you have light coming from multiple directions, then you will have a "mess" of shadows.  Since this is a logo design, you do not see where the "light" is coming from that is "creating" the shadows, so the shadows have to be somewhat realistic.

In your design, it appears that you have shadows being casted from multiple directions.  This is noticeable in the extensions from the letter K, as you have a shadow on the left of the bottom extension and on the right of the top extension ("light is coming" downwards diagonally from the left and the right).  It has to be either one shadow or the other, not both (again, it implies that the light is coming from an angle in either direction, so the bottom shadow also has be shifted left or right a little bit.  You will not have shadow along the entire length of the bottom unless light is coming directly from above.

tl;dr:  The small shadows coming off the K aren't necessarily accurate.  You have to choose which one you want to keep, and slide the bottom shadow in respect to whichever side you chose to keep the small shadow on.  Just picture which direction the light is coming from in your head instead of just putting shadows below everything for the sake of the effect.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

If you have light coming from one direction, then you will have the shadows being representative of that direction.  If you have light coming from multiple directions, then you will have a "mess" of shadows.  Since this is a logo design, you do not see where the "light" is coming from that is "creating" the shadows, so the shadows have to be somewhat realistic.

In your design, it appears that you have shadows being casted from multiple directions.  This is noticeable in the extensions from the letter K, as you have a shadow on the left of the bottom extension and on the right of the top extension ("light is coming" downwards diagonally from the left and the right).  It has to be either one shadow or the other, not both (again, it implies that the light is coming from an angle in either direction, so the bottom shadow also has be shifted left or right a little bit.  You will not have shadow along the entire length of the bottom unless light is coming directly from above.

tl;dr:  The small shadows coming off the K aren't necessarily accurate.  You have to choose which one you want to keep, and slide the bottom shadow in respect to whichever side you chose to keep the small shadow on.  Just picture which direction the light is coming from in your head instead of just putting shadows below everything for the sake of the effect.

ah, i didn't really think about that too much..

and it's weird that you mention multiple shadows being cast, because i only used one Drop Shadow layer style in photoshop. it was at a 90 degree angle (straight down), and i meant for it to look more like the KL was popping out as a 3D object than a shadow. i suppose the direction of light being displayed wasn't in the front of my mind. noted for future reference, thank you for this :-)

2 hours ago, Cornchip said:

ah, i didn't really think about that too much..

and it's weird that you mention multiple shadows being cast, because i only used one Drop Shadow layer style in photoshop. it was at a 90 degree angle (straight down), and i meant for it to look more like the KL was popping out as a 3D object than a shadow. i suppose the direction of light being displayed wasn't in the front of my mind. noted for future reference, thank you for this :-)

I figured that is the case (the drop down shadow that is), and I was doing mental gymnastics for some reason trying to picture how a straight down shadow would be for this specific case.  Half of me says that it is fine as is, but the other half feels really off with that left and right shadow on the K.  Like it perfect makes sense if it is a straight drop down shadow, but it still kinda looks off on the K (to me at least), and note that it is not your fault.  It is just how photoshop is.  Perhaps play around with different shadow effects and find what looks good to you (as it is your design, you do you!). If the way it is looks best to you, then go with it!  Other than that it looks pretty damn cool (despite me not being crazy at all about half of the albums but that is just me).  It still looks dope.

Also one thing to keep in mind is to visualize if this was to replace the current logo at the top left corner... it will be pretty small... the album art within it, even smaller.  the shadow nitpicking might not even matter given the logo would be rather small.  Also, choosing the 6 (or however many/few) albums to "represent" the site would be one thing (I'd say look at the top albums of each month poll/post as you have done), but also deciding on how to show it in such a way that you can still recognize the album covers (as you easily can now with the huge image, that was well done) on the very small logo that it would be.  Trying to fit a decent amount of records into such a small space would be tricky I think.  

I think it looks really good.  Could it replace the current logo?  I don't know, that is up to the admin on that.  But it would certainly have to be something that is constantly changing (as in changing the records on it every few months or whatever).  I hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jeffbeck84 said:

Just hear to hate on the band choices. tIDIyuG.gif

You are not fun 

5 hours ago, スカムです said:

Are you blind?

• Upvote 1

Well I mean if it was for metal releases for 1 through 6 I would of said Upon A Burning Body or Any Given Day or something over Amo obviously but since this was towards your personal choice I can't really critique all that much. 

But definitely use the alternate cover of disguise and not the skull lul. Also for the people saying it doesnt really look like letters I can see your point of placing the edges of the K to be a bit smaller and not so large next to the L and for the background behind the KL would of been cool to see signatures of bands you also liked in that time or signatures from admins showing signs of approval. Who knows. But you did a decent job nonetheless

• Upvote 1

i really appreciate all this discussion, the critique and compliments, all of it! thank you guys even just for taking the time to check this out :)

42 minutes ago, jeffbeck84 said:

Nah, it looks pretty cool. What about if the background for the Rammstein match was black? The white pops a little too much imo. 

You can be a hater and still be fun. I balance it quite well irl, Dusty. 

Issue with you is that you aren't a fun hater.

Intriguing you call me Dusty. Know me on discord or something?

1 minute ago, Cornchip said:

i really appreciate all this discussion, the critique and compliments, all of it! thank you guys even just for taking the time to check this out :)

Looked awesome in chat yesterday, still does

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jeffbeck84 said:

You don't know me though lol. Sounds like I'm not a "fun hater" because I was shitting on some bands you like. I'm not doing it any condescending way. Not on Discord btw. 

You remind me of a user called coachlow, heavily.

I couldn't care less if you shit on music i like, honestly. You just seem unfun whenever you leave something negative about anything. Yes there can be "fun" haters. But you and I are not.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jeffbeck84 said:

Depends on your crowd I guess? I hang out with a lot of comics (I do open mics at a painfully low level), and I seem to do pretty well around actual funny people. Never had a reputation for being "unfun". Is it possible you jumped the gun a little or do you have me completely figured out as a person? 

Or it's possible that tone is lost in text, and is up to interpretation a lot of the time 

whats wrong with the one that is in place?

Just now, BenjaminBurnley said:

Nothing necessarily, but the very first thing they mention in this post addresses your question.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Nothing necessarily, but the very first thing they mention in this post addresses your question.

Best not explain it, he's not the brightest bulb

3 minutes ago, jeffbeck84 said:

Now you're onto something. I acknowledge I can be overly opinionated though. Def comes across the wrong way when you're consistent with it. 

Apologies

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, BenjaminBurnley said:

nothing's wrong with it, persay. it just seems.. dull. the colors don't really pop out, the font is very thin.. it isn't noticeable. in my opinion, a logo should pop out at you and make you notice it

though that's just my opinion of course.

also to anyone saying the albums should be different, i've literally listened to ONE of the albums incorporated. the albums used were just the favorite album releases of January - June as voted by users on the site

Too many popular bands mate. We dont that around here.

You must include at least 25+ shoegaze synthdarkK-POP artists then you're good to go.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

@Billy Mays is our graphic designer and has done our designs since the beginning. We are not looking for any changes to logo or design changes. Design concept is interesting though.

• Upvote 2

FEATURED ALBUM • THE COLOURIST // SELF-TITLED • Indie Rock
DOWNLOAD

9 hours ago, mR12 said:

@Billy Mays is our graphic designer and has done our designs since the beginning. We are not looking for any changes to logo or design changes. Design concept is interesting though.

yea i know, this was more or less just for fun and to get critique for further designs haha

New banner idea?

uEEUmHO.jpg

• Confused 2

On 8/19/2019 at 2:56 PM, スカムです said:

I was navigating by Wayback Machine, I searched Kingdom Leaks and saw the original logo. I remembered your comment, what do you think of this?

2017_blue.png.e283b5c7a11493b1b31a72ad099c87f0.png

@Cornchip definitely a fun project you put together!!  

• Upvote 1

If you want a custom signature they are for sale just PM me!

test-3.gif

12 hours ago, Billy Mays said:

@Cornchip definitely a fun project you put together!!  

for sure! glad to hear you like it ^^

it just needs some editing.

ezgif-com-resize.jpg