Sign in to follow this  
mR12

Bon Iver - i,i (2019)

12 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

Cannot wait to listen to this, definitely gonna be one of my favorites of the year

So buying this, but ai have to listen now. 

FLAC added!

• Upvote 1

Very good album!  Cant wait to get it on vinyl

After one listen, this is most likely a contender for my AOTY. The atmosphere overall is pretty chill and closer to his earlier efforts. There's also a bunch of more tracks incorporating guitar on this one than on the last one again. 

This really is an amalgamation of all of his albums so far (thank god there's no heavy autotune like on 22, A Million or Woods, it would've really killed the overall mood). I also love how he, sometimes more or less subtly, incorporates a saxophone into some of the songs on a side note. Overall a really beautiful album.

• Love 1

Not feeling it yet. Definitely feels like the weakest of his entries. Might have to listen on repeat.

After listening to this four times through today, all I can say is that it's perfect. It's most definitely his fall album and a beautiful closer to the yearly cycle of his discography. He combines every element from all of his past releases into a sort of abstract scrapbook. There's a beautiful, blissful chill to this album, that isn't as cold and sorrowful as For Emma, but feels like it's perfectly coming up on the heels of that album, like fall going into winter. Again, he beautifully combined the strings and horn sections of Bon Iver, Bon Iver with the electronics of 22, A Million, while also adding songs like Marion, which sounds like it's a long lost bonus track from For Emma. As well as the first callback to the acoustic songwriting style of that album that he's written in a decade. It's a perfect departure album, leaving me wanting more, but also worried that this is the end of the journey for Bon Iver as a project. I also noticed that Hey Ma is a direct reference song to the opening line of For Emma...."I am my mother's only one", which fully completes the circle in it's own right. What an absolutely brilliant album and discography to back it. Justin Vernon will forever be the greatest songwriter of my generation.

• Upvote 1

Interesting comments, off I go to listen.

This year has been pretty amazing so far with the recent releases. Going to check this one out. It's Bon Iver so, I'm already kind of hyped anyway.

Excited for this one!