mR12

Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind (2019)

190 posts in this topic

Maybe im not in the mood or this will grow on me, but I'm not digging it as much as everyone else. Singles are highlights by a mile. 

• Upvote 4

Other Releases by

3 hours ago, Stasz18 said:

AOTY for sure

I have to go back and listen to Vol 3 again but this is my ranking rn. I have no problems with this album that arent nitpicking. This band continues to stay at the top of their game after 20 years!

GODDAMN I LOVE THIS BAND

6. All Hope Is Gone
5. .5 The Gray Chapter
4. Self-Titled
3. Iowa
2. We Are Not Your Kind
1. Vol 3: Subliminal Verses

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It’s a great, smart record for the knot. Feels organic and in line with the older sound but a modernized version that’s easier to stomach for the average listener. Pulls it off better than .5 that’s for sure.

There’s little point in talking about how “heavy” it is in comparison with the older material. At no point did I feel truly grimy listening to this the way I did when listening to Iowa and the self-titled. And that’s fine. I’m not a young, angsty guy anymore and the guys in the band aren’t either. The pure rage of a recently homeless, living under a bridge Corey Taylor is gone people. That level of hate is in the past and it’s a good thing.

He has other things to yell about now and it’s far from just... people=shit. What I like the most is how natural it feels. They felt stuck and out of place on the last couple records (not saying they’re necessarily bad) but I’ve always felt there is something off about .5 and AHIG is clearly a commercialized version of their sound.

The hooks aren’t quite as strong as what you find on Vol. 3 which I personally argue as the definitive Slipknot sound (IMO).

Anyway, it’s solid. Fans will enjoy it, newcomers will join the fun and have lots to go back and discover. For a band that’s had a challenging career with minor hiccups; there is a lot to commend here. Good for them and that makes me happy.

Oh and last thing. Great job Sid and Craig. The samples and scratches really bring this together and are a true return to form. 🤘🏻

• Upvote 4

Thank you and have a nice day everyone.

So, are there any songs like Snuff on here?

From the three singles I heard Solway was the only one worth a damn so I'm debating downloading this.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, MyTearsYW said:

So, are there any songs like Snuff on here?

From the three singles I heard Solway was the only one worth a damn so I'm debating downloading this.

Liars Funeral has some acoustic to it. Definitely download, and give a listen get past the first three tracks and you're in for a treat. Some of their heaviest material since Iowa lies within this album, if heavy is what you're looking for. 

• Upvote 1

Best birthday present I could have asked for. Thanks for the  leak 🖤

Yeah, this is easily their best and most cohesive record.  There wasn't a single bad or out of place song.  They're just getting better and better with time, damn. 

Amazing record! Better than .5.  I like all songs, except interludes and my pain. A Liars`s Funeral is a masterpiece!!!

As a absolute fan of Slipknot, I've a review. 

After my first WANYK listen I can say that Slipknot are as fearless as they are consistent, 20 plus years into their tenure they've put out what is at least in their top 3 of their discography, more listens will decide it's proper placement, as there is alot to unpackage, perhaps injusting some drugs and giving this a listen will provide the clarity to give this a better intake. WANYK without a doubt is pushing outside the bounds of what is considered typical Slipknot, whilst remaining true to their identify. This album definitely deserves a listen by anyone who isn't a Slipknot fan, or the singles released (the singles while fitting into the album, are not the best representation of what WANYK is) but is a fan of metal, as it offers something very unique. 

Now as for the vibes, and sounds itself, this album really shows off just how great of a drummer Jay is, loads of weird, and unique drumming throughout this album. There's alot of weird electronic ambience that defines the tone of WANYK, very dark and ominous. They use these electronics to tie most of the tracks together which is a very cool thing for listeners who appreciate listening to albums front to back. Seems Sid really got to shine with his scratching as well, which is something we haven't seen alot from Slipknot, always felt like Sid was a backseat character, that's not the case here though. The guitars on this album really bring it, riffs as exhilarating, blistering and heavy as being thrown out of a plane strapped to a 1000 ton weight that was at 666°F. The only disappointment is there are very little Jim Root solos, not having him in Stone Sour really has left me wanting some solos from him. Though that's just a personal thought that shouldn't be taken into consideration when judging this album. 

After covering my bases instrumentally I've to get to the vocals & writing. I can say with quite a bit of certainty that is some of Corey's best screaming. Seems most every album his unclean vocals evolve, after hearing the singles I feared they were mostly the same from .5, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. But after an entire listen I can say it's .5 growls but way more ferocious, and br00tal, not to mention what he does on a good amount of this album  is his trademark unclean rapping, which there's things he spits for fast that it's unprecedented. His cleans really sores, bringing an outstanding melodic aspect that fits into the album quite well. The writing on this album I can't speak much on as I've not taken a look at the lyrics. But we all know Corey Taylor is a top tier lyricist, and from what I've been able to make out that stays true. 

All and all you'd be hard pressed to find another album that's sounds like this. WANYK has some of their heaviest material since Iowa, as long with some of their most interesting aspects since Self Titled. 10/10. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Absolutely fantastic jay has definitely gotten out of his shell for this record absolutely flawless drums all around and mick and Jim’s guitars are absolutely awesome and Corey is just on another level 

some songs go on a little longer then needed but other then that it’s an incredible album 9.5/10

6 hours ago, zanderdrummer said:

TAMOS JUNTOS CARALHO XD

Brasileiro 😒

Ur a fuckin killer Coreyy

this is really good 

Bunch of middle aged men wearing masks and jumpsuits :)

Thanks

their worst album yet.  this is pretty sad, i am sure not many are gonna agree with me, but nothing but the ones we've already heard and maybe 2 others were of any value to me. ugh.. rip slipknot 2019. 

nero forte is probably the only other good track becides the ones we've already got singles for. 

4/10 is my rating. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 7

7 hours ago, Vehkd said:

Holy shit. These singles didn't stand to the rest of the album so far. Nero Forte-Red Flag has slapped so far.

That's what i'm currently up to. Very heavy :lol:

• Upvote 1

Oh boy pleaseee dont disappoint

It's a cool album that is better than last two, but what kinda grinds my gears is that majority of these songs are 6+ mins long, yet they are still very chorsu driven, and having to hear the same chorus for the fourth-fifth time in between the verses and other cool moments is a bit annoying and way too much padding. Cool that they tried out new ideas especially with electronics, I don't have a good comparison but it reminds me of the type of electronics Genghis Tron used in their albums. I wish more songs followed the structure of My Pain (while not necessarily being as mellow) but I feel like the album ends stronger than it opens. It also weirdly showcases their maturity as a band. Not my AOTY (lmao I haven't cared for Slipknot for ages, i'm surprised I even like this as much as I did) but definitely a great step in the right direction.

Some of the clean vocal sections on songs like Nero Forte really fuck with my experience and I wish they had more punch throughout the song, it seems like wasted potential because the rest of the song fucking rips.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

So after a couple of listens I ended up deleting 3 tracks (Death Because of Death, What's Next, and My Pain - two are interludes, one might as well be an excessively long interlude...) Chucked All Out Life into the tracklist as track 3 after Unsainted/before Birth of the Cruel and I'm happy with it now. Best album for me since Iowa though I've enjoyed each album in between for what they are. Standouts for me are definitely Birth of the Cruel (major self titled vibes), Nero Forte (love the chorus in particular), A Liar's Funeral (always forget how much I appreciate some use of acoustic guitar in Slipknot songs), Red Flag (because it fuckin' slaps), Spiders (catchy experimentation), and Orphan (also fuckin' slaps). 9/10 after removing the interludes, probably would've been the same rating anyway though.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

This is fuckin amazing. Could be my AOTY. Slipknot has a special place in my heart. They got me into heavy music and i'm so happy that they still are going very strong.

Red Flag and Orphan are their heaviest shit since IOWA. Some songs give me also S/t and Vol3 vibes. Don't know yet what to feel about the more experimental side of this album (Spiders/My Pain), but it's cool that they are doing different stuff. Those songs will grow on me for sure. This album just gets better and better the more i'm listening to it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Maagg said:

This is fuckin amazing. Could be my AOTY. Slipknot has a special place in my heart. They got me into heavy music and i'm so happy that they still are going very strong.

Red Flag and Orphan are their heaviest shit since IOWA. Some songs give me also S/t and Vol3 vibes. Don't know yet what to feel about the more experimental side of this album (Spiders/My Pain), but it's cool that they are doing different stuff. Those songs will grow on me for sure. This album just gets better and better the more i'm listening to it. 

• Confused 1

Amazing album. In a time when these new bands are being worshipped for "trailblazing" the metal scene, Slipknot comes out with the best record they've done in 15 years and blows all these bands away. Honestly, my favorite Slipknot album with Iowa.

My main critique of this album is that most of the songs are much longer than I feel they should be. My Pain is definitely the worst offender of this and I kinda despise it after realise it wasted about 5 minutes of my time before getting anywhere. Other than that this is a pretty solid album - some killer, some filler, some catchy shit in between.

Faves: Unsainted, Nero Forte, Red Flag, Spiders, Solway Firth

I can't list my least faves as after 1 listen I've forgotten what most of the songs were. Hopefully with time and more listens that'll change. Pretty solid album but doubt it'll be AOTY for me.

Now to wait for Nik Nocturnal's guitar covers which will upload exactly 2 seconds after the album releases

Daaang, am i the only left behind on this??

after hearing it for while, im officially infected on track 10. Spiders, kinda feel nin vibe with absurdity of the knot... so far repeating this track

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

This Whole album Kick My Ass I'm Jam To This At Work Weld 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

6 minutes ago, suckmywaifu said:

My main critique of this album is that most of the songs are much longer than I feel they should be. My Pain is definitely the worst offender of this and I kinda despise it after realise it wasted about 5 minutes of my time before getting anywhere. Other than that this is a pretty solid album - some killer, some filler, some catchy shit in between.

Faves: Unsainted, Nero Forte, Red Flag, Spiders, Solway Firth

I can't list my least faves as after 1 listen I've forgotten what most of the songs were. Hopefully with time and more listens that'll change. Pretty solid album but doubt it'll be AOTY for me.

Now to wait for Nik Nocturnal's guitar covers which will upload exactly 2 seconds after the album releases

A song like My Pain is this extended, experimental interlude, and I personally dig its ominous, dark vibe. It's like a breather track that is unsettling at the same time, it almost reminds me of scores Christopher Nolan has in his movies. 

To me a song like that absolutely fits on a Slipknot album, plus it doesn't really change the fact all the other tracks are mindblowing.