Sign in to follow this  
Frak The Gods

If You Could Only Listen To One Band.....

81 posts in this topic

Guest leonardo_bailon

A day to remember (great band)

probably Architects

Blink-182 is a 20th century band, they released 3 albums in the 90s

That is fair enough, I didn't think about that. I do have the logo (Blink) tattooed on my left shoulder too. RCHP were mentioned too. I suppose my point was that the bands mentioned IMO won't stand the test of time, they're good and innovative now but will people talk about bands like Set It Off, Amberlin, Story of the Year and Band Omens in 50 years time? I doubt it. They will still be talking about Zeppelin, early hip-hop, jazz and the pioneers of metal though. I don't think I could spend the rest of my life listening to something as narrow as Blink, even though they are my favourite band and I've taken the liberty of having them tattooed on my body. I'm just surprised that people have answered with bands that they like right now rather than actually thinking about the reality of listening to a band with 1 good album and 1 semi-good album for the rest of their lives. The question should really be 'What band/artist would you listen to for all eternity in hell' that way you'd have to pick an artist with a good repertoire as opposed to something like Linkin Park (which don't get me wrong I absolutely love Hybrid Theory and Meteora) who only have 2 and a half good albums and the rest is essentially cack. 

That is fair enough, I didn't think about that. I do have the logo (Blink) tattooed on my left shoulder too. RCHP were mentioned too. I suppose my point was that the bands mentioned IMO won't stand the test of time, they're good and innovative now but will people talk about bands like Set It Off, Amberlin, Story of the Year and Band Omens in 50 years time? I doubt it. They will still be talking about Zeppelin, early hip-hop, jazz and the pioneers of metal though. I don't think I could spend the rest of my life listening to something as narrow as Blink, even though they are my favourite band and I've taken the liberty of having them tattooed on my body. I'm just surprised that people have answered with bands that they like right now rather than actually thinking about the reality of listening to a band with 1 good album and 1 semi-good album for the rest of their lives. The question should really be 'What band/artist would you listen to for all eternity in hell' that way you'd have to pick an artist with a good repertoire as opposed to something like Linkin Park (which don't get me wrong I absolutely love Hybrid Theory and Meteora) who only have 2 and a half good albums and the rest is essentially cack. 

Good points here, but the main demographic of this site is not one that has a lot of interest in the music of three or four decades ago (though I'm sure there are exceptions).  Most people here are interested in more contemporary music (and that's fine - I'd include myself in that group as well).  I think a lot of the reason that earlier music is held in such high regard is because the market was much less saturated, so anyone that actually broke out and was more widely recognized became a "big deal" that "they" still talk about today.  I don't think that those artists are inherently better than the ones that might be our favorites today, they were just around at a time where musicians became these revered, idolized people, which is done to a much lesser extent now.  This is probably an unpopular opinion, but personally I do not think that a lot of the material released then has really stood the test of time so much as capitalized on the nostalgia that those who were around when it was released still feel for that music.  Like, I don't think AC/DC is all that great, but my dad grew up with them and he does.  On that same note, the same could probably be said for the music that I love that was released during my formative years.

However, to say that you would only listen to Bad Omens' ONE ALBUM that has only been out for like a week for the rest of your life is pretty silly.  Even in ten years, I don't think people are going to be playing that album all the time (if you do, hit me up in ten years and tell me I'm wrong).  Not to shit on that album specifically, it's a fun album and all, but that's beside the point.  I think saying that you'd listen to Anberlin's consistently well-received, seven full-length discography is a lot more reasonable and more considerate of the question.  To defend my own personal pick, Copeland, I'd say that they're a band that has been releasing material for the majority of the years that I've been actively listening to music, and they've grown as I have, so I have a relationship with their music.  I think that's the kind of experience you should have with a band that you'd say you'd listen to forever.

Guest joebr1993

I'd probably have to go with Iron Maiden. They have a long enough discography to last you a really long time.

Band would be DGD for sure <3

If I had to pick one album, though, it would be Between The Heart and The Synapse by The Receiving End of Sirens, because no matter how many times I listen to it I always pick up on something new. It never gets old for me.

Definitely Dance Gavin Dance. Album is kinda hard though. Downtown Battle Mountain is probably my #1, but some contenders would be Issues - Headspace, Acceptance - Phantoms, Emarosa - Emarosa and Citizen - Youth, only ones I could think of right now.

• Love 1

Guest PANICFALL3N

Honestly that's a huge toss up.

Band: Most likely Dayseeker or Dance Gavin Dance

Album: What to Do When You Are Dead by Armor For Sleep (Classic but still a unreal album), Origin by Dayseeker, With Roots Above Or Branches Below by TDWP, Instant Gratification by DGD, Because The Internet by Gambino, or Haven't Been Myself by Too Close To Touch

This shit is hard to think about when you have a huge taste of everything in music. 

Honestly that's a huge toss up.

Band: Most likely Dayseeker or Dance Gavin Dance

Album: What to Do When You Are Dead by Armor For Sleep (Classic but still a unreal album), Origin by Dayseeker, With Roots Above Or Branches Below by TDWP, Instant Gratification by DGD, Because The Internet by Gambino, or Haven't Been Myself by Too Close To Touch

This shit is hard to think about when you have a huge taste of everything in music. 

Armor For Sleep were great

Good points here, but the main demographic of this site is not one that has a lot of interest in the music of three or four decades ago (though I'm sure there are exceptions).  Most people here are interested in more contemporary music (and that's fine - I'd include myself in that group as well).  I think a lot of the reason that earlier music is held in such high regard is because the market was much less saturated, so anyone that actually broke out and was more widely recognized became a "big deal" that "they" still talk about today.  I don't think that those artists are inherently better than the ones that might be our favorites today, they were just around at a time where musicians became these revered, idolized people, which is done to a much lesser extent now.  This is probably an unpopular opinion, but personally I do not think that a lot of the material released then has really stood the test of time so much as capitalized on the nostalgia that those who were around when it was released still feel for that music.  Like, I don't think AC/DC is all that great, but my dad grew up with them and he does.  On that same note, the same could probably be said for the music that I love that was released during my formative years.

However, to say that you would only listen to Bad Omens' ONE ALBUM that has only been out for like a week for the rest of your life is pretty silly.  Even in ten years, I don't think people are going to be playing that album all the time (if you do, hit me up in ten years and tell me I'm wrong).  Not to shit on that album specifically, it's a fun album and all, but that's beside the point.  I think saying that you'd listen to Anberlin's consistently well-received, seven full-length discography is a lot more reasonable and more considerate of the question.  To defend my own personal pick, Copeland, I'd say that they're a band that has been releasing material for the majority of the years that I've been actively listening to music, and they've grown as I have, so I have a relationship with their music.  I think that's the kind of experience you should have with a band that you'd say you'd listen to forever.

uSGwdLt9jPouA.gif

Guest PANICFALL3N

Armor For Sleep were great

They really were! It's funny how that album came out almost 12 years ago and the lyrics were unreal. 

Every Time I Die.

Their discography ranges from 1998-present day and it's huge, not to mention absolutely phenomenal.

that would be Silverstein for me

Guest holdthelemons

I'd go with Bob Dylan.  I know he's not a 'band' BUT he has been backed by THE band haha.  If I had to pick a record of his, I'd pick "Highway 61 Revisited".